Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
its cool if that is the date, but to honest, I'm not holding my breath. Its not that I'm not believing, but rather I'll not get worked up until I actually see it land.

FredT2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2009
its cool if that is the date, but to honest, I'm not holding my breath. Its not that I'm not believing, but rather I'll not get worked up until I actually see it land.
Wise thing to do. Note that the link at the Dutch retailer the rumor was based on is now gone.

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
I never warmed to LR and used Aperture. But Apple went with photos. And unfortunately they did not have major players signed up for some plug in's. I think it was released way too early, not because of third party commitments being few and far between, but you can't use any plug in's on release. I'm sure in a year or so Photos is going to be just dandy. But I don't want to wait and see.
I'll buy LR6 and brew a pot of coffee. Time to learn, adjust and enjoy LR.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
*sigh*

I wonder if LR 6 will be much (any) different than LR 5 in terms of UI and navigation.

I've put off installing LR 5 because I didn't want to learn my way around it just to have a new version out, but I'm getting impatient.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
LR's UI and navigation has not change significantly in many years. Learning LR 5 will not be lost when upgrading to LR6.

winkosmosis

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2012
Hawaii
*sigh*

I wonder if LR 6 will be much (any) different than LR 5 in terms of UI and navigation.

I've put off installing LR 5 because I didn't want to learn my way around it just to have a new version out, but I'm getting impatient.

The UI stays the same from version to version. Why do you think you have to learn your way around a new version?

jms969

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2010
I never warmed to LR and used Aperture. But Apple went with photos. And unfortunately they did not have major players signed up for some plug in's. I think it was released way too early, not because of third party commitments being few and far between, but you can't use any plug in's on release. I'm sure in a year or so Photos is going to be just dandy. But I don't want to wait and see.
I'll buy LR6 and brew a pot of coffee. Time to learn, adjust and enjoy LR.

Photos was never meant to be an Aperture replacement, it was designed to replace iPhoto, unify photograph handling across OSX and iOS and sell space on icloud.

Apple is out of the pro/semipro business... Enjoy your :apple: hardware and professional software from the likes of Adobe...

colorspace

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2005
Sadly true, all true.

Photos was never meant to be an Aperture replacement, it was designed to replace iPhoto, unify photograph handling across OSX and iOS and sell space on icloud.

Apple is out of the pro/semipro business... Enjoy your :apple: hardware and professional software from the likes of Adobe...

Bending Pixels

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2010

Apple hasn't abandoned the digital video pro. Apple just updated FCPX (which keeps getting better with each update) and Motion. While Motion may not be as "high end" as Adobe AfterEffects, from a performance standpoint,it kicks AE's butt. And FCPX is a lot easier to use than Premier Pro.

FWIW, Aperture was an excellent program, but didn't keep up with Lightroom's features (better image manipulation, lens correction).

jms969

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2010
Apple hasn't abandoned the digital video pro. Apple just updated FCPX (which keeps getting better with each update) and Motion. While Motion may not be as "high end" as Adobe AfterEffects, from a performance standpoint,it kicks AE's butt. And FCPX is a lot easier to use than Premier Pro.

FWIW, Aperture was an excellent program, but didn't keep up with Lightroom's features (better image manipulation, lens correction).

They haven't abandoned the digital video pro... YET. Based on :apple:'s track record why would anyone purchase or rely on software from them?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
It wasn't that apple didn't keep up with Adobe, it was that apple abandoned the software for years. They did provide minor compatibility updates but they did not roll out any upgrades giving us the features that were in competing applications.

I may be splitting hairs but I think the difference is that apple decided years ago they were not going to improve Aperture. Regardless of the other pro apps. I'll stick with a company that has a better track record in supporting and improving their software.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Exactly!

Apple focused on IOS products because it is a HUGE portion of their business/revenue. They don't need Aperture for iWatch, phones, and tablets.

jms969

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2010
Exactly!

Apple focused on IOS products because it is a HUGE portion of their business/revenue. They don't need Aperture for iWatch, phones, and tablets.

In actuality Aperture (along with all :apple: software) is a distraction from their core business of iOS hardware... I expect to see further software titles fall by the wayside...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
In actuality Aperture (along with all :apple: software) is a distraction from their core business of iOS hardware... I expect to see further software titles fall by the wayside...

I wouldn't say fall by the side, if they can some how integrate the Mac apps with the iOS apps like what they did with iWork, and photos.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
But as we have seen with iWorks and iLife products....when Apple makes IOS versions they are dumbed down to better fit the limitations of IOS devices and the more limited needs of IOS users (vs OS X users).

Apple doing all of this does not make them evil. They are simply good business folks trying to provide value and revenue to their share holders. We simply want products from them that are no longer their core business. The hand writing has been on the wall for some time.

So lets move on to other products for serious photography requirements for a DAM that can do referenced libraries, provide good basic non-destructive editing, and support integrated round trips to plugins from other companies.

kaldezar

macrumors regular
May 28, 2008
London, England
When you go to the Adobe Lightroom website (US), they have a sale, 40% off till May 29. I wonder if they'll change products midstream? Sort of doubt it. Also, I think they'll wait till people see what a bomb Apple Photos turns out to be.
Apple Photos is not a bomb it reads iPhoto libraries perfectly something that LR promises to do but three versions on still doesn't and don't even mention Adobe's non existent customer support!:apple::apple::apple::eek::eek::eek:

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Indeed Photos is not a bomb as a replacement for Photos. As a replacement for Aperture...it is totally a bomb. But that should not surprise anyone. IOS, not OS X, is the Apple focus.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Apple Photos is not a bomb it reads iPhoto libraries perfectly something that LR promises to do but three versions on still doesn't and don't even mention Adobe's non existent customer support!:apple::apple::apple::eek::eek::eek:

I don't think anyone is staying that Photos is an awful product, its great for those iPhoto users. Where it falls down is that it cannot handle the features in Aperture. If someone wants increased DAM capability, or editing features, then Photos is not for your. Its for the iPhone user who wants to share his images (and there's nothing wrong with that).

As for Adobe, its products are superior, I've not had to reach out to their support, but I have posted in their support forums on occasion and I've received help there.

You (or anyone else) doesn't have to go to LR, there are other products out there as well, such as Capture One.

Apple purposely decided that there focus is on the consumer designed Photos to meet that need.

ljparis

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2012
British Columbia
Lightroom 6 Strong Hint of Release Date

Exclusive Double Secret Event!
Hi Larry

I just got the go-ahead to invite you to an all day online event that Scott & RC (Co-Hosts of The Lightroom Show) are hosting on Tuesday, April 21st. We have never done anything like this so I wanted to give you a heads up on what it will entail:
There is no cost!
Exclusive Event
Live Webcasts at 9am, 11am, 1pm & 3pm
Special Training Materials available throughout the day
The event will be recorded and available to those who register
A Special Announcement you won't want to miss
Due to the nature of the special announcement, I can't give any more details. However, if you take pictures, you don't want to miss this!
Click Here To Register For This Double Secret Event!
We can’t tell you why yet (we’ve been double-sworn to secrecy and we had to put RC’s car up for collateral in case we blabbed so we’re keeping this one top secret till then)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.