Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EdenTan

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2015
Hey guys, I've been thinking of selling away my Retina MacBook Pro 13 and use my iPad Mini 2 as my main machine.

All I do on my RMBP 13 is to surf the web, forums, watch a lot of YouTube videos, streaming and that's about it. I find the RMBP 13 a waste for my type of usage. In fact I bought it when it launched because of its retina screen.

So what do you guys think? Thanks in advance

Suspended
Sep 15, 2012
Hey guys, I've been thinking of selling away my Retina MacBook Pro 13 and use my iPad Mini 2 as my main machine.

All I do on my RMBP 13 is to surf the web, forums, watch a lot of YouTube videos, streaming and that's about it. I find the RMBP 13 a waste for my type of usage. In fact I bought it when it launched because of its retina screen.

Just ask yourself if you want to give up screen size for portability. That would be your answer!

I'll buy your rMBP for $300.... :D

smooth

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2007
Detroit
I am almost in the same boat as you. I am almost exclusively using my iPad. I also have a MBP but I only use it to download tv shows and as a hub for my and my kids' idevices. I would say put the MBP away for a while. If you don't use it for anything you'll probably be ok without it. Though unless you need some extra cash, I would just hang on to the MBP for as long as it works.....

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area

1. Turn off your MacBook for one full week.
2. One week later: Did you miss or need it?
if the answer for #2 is no, then sell it.

placidity44

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2015
If it's your only computer i'd have to say no. There are things that just can't be done on an iPad that need to be done on a computer. Now if you have an older desktop or laptop that can be used if need be than it wouldn't be a bad idea at all since you don't use your computer much. But I wouldn't sell the MacBook if it's the only computer you have.

Jeff R

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2014
Just keep your rMBP. It's better to have both.

You'll have something to use while the other device is charging.

I find it annoying to use my rMBP or iPad while it's tethered when charging.

sn

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
Just keep your rMBP. It's better to have both.

You'll have something to use while the other device is charging.

I find it annoying to use my rMBP or iPad while it's tethered when charging.

In my opinion, that's not a good reason to keep the mbp. Agree it's annoying to use iPad when it's charging but there's more cost-effective ways to get around that issue. Such as buying a second iPad.

I'd personally find it hard to justify keeping hold something that expensive just for the odd occasion where I need to use my iPad but it's charging.

My advice would be to think very carefully about how often you use your mbp. Agree you can do all the things you listed above on an iPad but, before selling the laptop, I'd want to be very sure I hadn't overlooked any situations where a computer is irreplaceable. I think the suggestion above about trying a week or so without your laptop is a great one (although I might try a little longer than a week as, even if you only use your laptop once a fortnight, it might still be worth keeping hold of).

Last edited:

EdenTan

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2015
Thanks guys. Have decided to keep my RMBP 13. It's always good to have choices I guess.

Reactions: Jasmynp

jfriedman8

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
Good call there. I think the idea of an iPad replacing a computer is great, but its just not there yet, and probably wont be for another 4+ years I would guess.

Fancuku

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2015
PA, USA

Yes, the ipad is perfect for you. I can get the rMBP out of your hands for $301 ;)

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
Hah, I'm in the same situation, but I'm wanting to go the other way :p I have had an iPad mini 2 since about January of 2014, so just a couple months after it released. The thing is over two years old now and it's okay with its 9.3 PB but not fantastic. I find myself itching for a rMBP 13 inch actually, and all I do is watch content pretty much, same usage as you. I guess I'm getting sick of 1.) the small screen 2.) the more irritating to use onscreen keyboard 3.) iOS performance and 4.) lack of functionality. Lately I'm using my iPhone 6 quite a bit more than my mini 2, they both can do the same things and the iPhone is just in a more convenient device to reach to.

Only thing that would suck is having to play clash of clans, boom beach, and some other games on my iPhone with a much smaller screen. My next iPhone will be a plus model so that won't be nearly as bad then. I will have this setup by 2018: rMBP 13" and an iPhone 7+ or 7S+. Hopefully the rMBP becomes quad core and much better graphics by then.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I find myself itching for a rMBP 13 inch actually, and all I do is watch content pretty much, same usage as you. I guess I'm getting sick of 1.) the small screen 2.) the more irritating to use onscreen keyboard 3.) iOS performance and 4.) lack of functionality.

If you mostly just watch content, what functionality are you lacking?

If you are tired of the small screen, have you considered the Air or the Pro? They are also faster than Mini 2, so that should address the slow performance also.

On-screen keyboard, well, if you don't like using that, then yeah, that might be a valid reason to consider a MacBook.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
If you mostly just watch content, what functionality are you lacking?

If you are tired of the small screen, have you considered the Air or the Pro? They are also faster than Mini 2, so that should address the slow performance also.

On-screen keyboard, well, if you don't like using that, then yeah, that might be a valid reason to consider a MacBook.
Mostly I'm just sick of the gimped-ness of apps and mobile websites that always are wonky or clunky to use. Also I've been working on an online class and I have to type up essays and such every so often, it would be much nicer to do so on a more full fledged but portable computer rather than my tiny iPad or having to always sit at the desk to use the more powerful desktop computer we have. It's a family computer though so it isn't even my own personal thing and it runs Windows 10 haha... It's a 2011 upper-mid range gaming rig, so it's aging a bit so yeah. I don't even have a full computer of my own, so.

I've grown up using Windows my entire life and haven't ever used OS X for personal use (only a bit on an iMac at school and on macs at the Apple Store) but I think I would like it. I've kinda gotten sick of Windows and how it doesn't work with my iPhone or iPad at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.