Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple was named the most valuable global brand in market research firm Millward Brown's tenth annual BrandZ brand value report [PDF], seeing a 67% rise in brand value to $246.9 billion. The Cupertino-based company surpassed Google, which ranked first in the 2014 report, to reclaim the top ranking in the study for the fourth time in the past five years. See BrandZ's annual reports in 2011, 2012 and 2013 for reference.
"With a 67 percent rise in Brand Value to $247 billion, Apple returned to number one in the BrandZ(TM) Top 100 Most Valuable Global Brands ranking. Success of the iPhone 6 and the related excitement surrounding the Apple brand drove the increase. Apple also led in the rate of brand value growth over 10 years - 1,446 percent."
2015-BrandZ-Rankings-Apple-800x379.jpg

The top ten most valuable global brands in the report is made up almost entirely of technology and telecom companies, with Microsoft, IBM, Visa, AT&T, Verizon, Coca-Cola, McDonald's and Marlboro rounding off the top ten after Apple and Google. Other notable technology companies on the list include Facebook (12th), Amazon (14th), HP (39th), Oracle (44th), Samsung (45th) and Twitter (92nd).

Millward Brown explains that its brand valuation methodology is based on three million consumers and more than 100,000 different brands in over 50 markets, with brand appeal measured against actual sales performance. The overall brand value of BrandZ's index saw a 14% year-over-year increase and 126% growth over the past decade.

Article Link: Apple Surpasses Google to Reclaim Title of World's Most Valuable Brand

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I expect this continue to flip back and forth for a bit. Google has just announced and is working on some interesting projects, so I expect this to flip back and forth a few times.

Regardless, nice to see these companies with huge offerings surpass a company that essentially sells only sugar water.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Where is Xiaomi and Huawei? I keep hearing how it's the dawn of China and they are eating Apple's lunch.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

NoNothing

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2003
That is nothing new

I expect this continue to flip back and forth for a bit. Google has just announced and is working on some interesting projects, so I expect this to flip back and forth a few times.

Regardless, nice to see these companies with huge offerings surpass a company that essentially sells only sugar water.

Google is always announcing "interesting" projects. Just none of them are worth much of late. Think back to Google Maps and Gmail for their last really interesting projects.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
A 67% jump in one unremarkable year has me questioning the methodology of this.

I wonder if this chart more represents the clients this particular firm wants to court.

vmistery

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
Considering I am barely aware of 3 of those brands not being American I find this difficult to take seriously. Sounds like more of a USA list

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
A 67% jump in one unremarkable year has me questioning the methodology of this.

I wonder if this chart more represents the clients this particular firm wants to court.

Yeah, it's kind of sad that most people don't realize what these firms do. Same with all types of market share reports.

For those of you who don't know, they're basically made up. They aren't really market share reports but rather are mind share propaganda.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
…and alcohol. It should be banned immediately and made highly illegal.

I trust you're being sarcastic. So just to clarify my earlier point:

Personally I've got nothing against smokers, as long as they're not blowing it in my face. Who am I to tell people how they can or can't relax. Same with fatty foods. Or sugary drinks.

The OP's insinuation that cigarettes are terrible without mentioning equally unhealthy things (fatty foods, sugary drinks) seemed a trace ironic.

syndalis

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2008
Considering I am barely aware of 3 of those brands not being American I find this difficult to take seriously. Sounds like more of a USA list

AT&T and Verizon I get because they are US telecom providers, but I am surprised there is another one. The rest of those brands are major international powerhouses.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Errrrrr....

No.

I was actually being facetious just like the poster that mentioned smoking.
That said, and a little off topic but alcohol does have as many dangers as smoking.
The health effects of second hand smoke are well known.
The health effects of second hand alcohol can be unprovoked immediate beatings on a saturday night in a club, DUI, violence toward a spouse at home etc etc.

I do wonder why there are no car brands up there.

----------

I trust you're being sarcastic. So just to clarify my earlier point:

Personally I've got nothing against smokers, as long as they're not blowing it in my face. Who am I to tell people how they can or can't relax. Same with fatty foods. Or sugary drinks.

The OP's insinuation that cigarettes are terrible without mentioning equally unhealthy things (fatty foods, sugary drinks) seemed a trace ironic.

Mine was replying to you but pointed at the OP. But, see post 21. I get more annoyed at *******s stepping on my nice shoes and falling all over me and making me repeat myself ad nauseum than a breath of stale tobacco.

Even you light drinkers - often a PITA to someone who doesn’t drink. Most people think they are perfectly and 100% coherent after a few drinks, they are not.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
…and alcohol. It should be banned immediately and made highly illegal.

"We were stupid enough to try that once before. It didn't work out for us."
-US Govt.

"We think that's a great idea"
-Organized Crime

You were kidding right?

Unrelated: I know one brand that won't be showing up anytime soon. FIFA. Sepp Blatter's reign of corruption will soon be over. Apologies for thread jacking.

Last edited:

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
not sure if appeal is the right word to use but since it says "most valuable global brand" what is the appeal of at&t and verizon to the majority of the world?

they are right in between visa and coke which are available in most countries.

Last edited:

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
This list obviously has an American bias, I don't say that because of Apple and Google and the like. It's AT&T and Verizon which have me scratching my head. They don't exist outside the United States. Being in the top ten of a world's most valuable brand list makes no sense, and makes it hard to take seriously at all.

iTom17

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands

Actually, Apple also has some pretty interesting things coming up throughout the rest of this year. Here's a list of a few things I can think of:
  • iOS 9: Might not be a huge update compared to iOS 8, but if rumors about 'split screen multitasking' are correct, Apple will sell more iPads.
  • OS X 10.11
  • HomeKit getting launched in June
  • Apple Music streaming service
  • Apple TV streaming service
  • New Apple TV settopbox
  • Next version of Watch OS, which might convince people who haven't bought an Apple Watch yet, to get one now.
  • iPhone 6s launch in September
  • Apple Pay roll-out in additional countries
  • New iPads in October/November

All these things added up... Well, I think it's obvious to see that Apple is not standing still either. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.