Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
They have the products that everyone wants. Apple is in a very good situation right now, just can they maintain it...... in my view, its all about the iphone.

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
What exactly is the brand appeal of AT&T and Verizon?

Your personal bias against those two companies blinds you. Just because you hate AT&T doesn’t mean everybody or even most others do. AT&T and Verizon are global giants serving many millions of subscribers. You believing they are crap means nothing regarding their brand worth.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
…and alcohol. It should be banned immediately and made highly illegal.

Exactly and while you're they're at it cars and guns should be banned. After all the cars actually run over people and hit other cars and guns actually shoot people.......or is it humans that are actually acting erratically with this things??? NAH, humans are perfect. :rolleyes:

zmunkz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2007
they haven't defined what they mean by valuable brands so I'm not sure what to make of this. Clearly they don't just mean the brands with the largest market capital, and they don't seem to mean the most globally recognizable brand either... We would need a little more insight into what exactly they're ranking here.

pbush25

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
A 67% jump in one unremarkable year has me questioning the methodology of this.

I wonder if this chart more represents the clients this particular firm wants to court.

How can you say the least year has been unremarkable? They sold 75 million iphones in one quarter, continued to beat their existing records in sales, profits, and revenues in the first half of this year despite new flagships from other companies and the well known iPhone upgrade cycle looming. Further, they are the one company that has had any growth in the PC market as the rest has been steadily declining, and they sell more wearables a week than all of Android Wear did last year even taking the most conservative estimates into account. Their stock has risen 48% in the last 12 months and Tim has positioned Apple well for the future. I think you're mistaken.

nazaar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
A 67% jump in one unremarkable year has me questioning the methodology of this.

I wonder if this chart more represents the clients this particular firm wants to court.

Wow. You really have no idea what you're talking about. Did you bother to listen to presentation or read up on the methodology or how they calculate a brands value?

Apple doesn't use any external sources to conduct market research so how/why would Millward Brown be trying to 'court' them.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
This list obviously has an American bias, I don't say that because of Apple and Google and the like. It's AT&T and Verizon which have me scratching my head. They don't exist outside the United States. Being in the top ten of a world's most valuable brand list makes no sense, and makes it hard to take seriously at all.

I just checked Verizon's website. They claim to be a global company. Are they wrong?

Exhale

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
I just checked Verizon's website. They claim to be a global company. Are they wrong?
Verizon only offers a single service outside the US; which is government/business/enterprise oriented. Think of all the services you associate them with currently.

None of those exist.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Verizon only offers a single service outside the US; which is government/business/enterprise oriented. Think of all the services you associate them with currently.

None of those exist.

Doesn't matter. If they are doing any business outside the U.S they can still be considered as a global company. You're picking and choosing.

Exhale

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
Doesn't matter. If they are doing any business outside the U.S they can still be considered as a global company.
Thats my point. They're not lying, they just don't have remotely as much 'know' globally as they do in the US - the market they do serve is small.

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
Why? Its almost as if there is this thing called personal choice where people can choose what they want to do with their body.

Its more sad that you think it is sad than it is sad in reality.

It would be more sad if a company like Whole Foods which has an entire business built upon the fraudulent notion that 'organic' is inherently good would be in the top 10 than a tobacco company.

Sorta ironic, seeing as how tobacco companies tend to force (or more accurately: take away) your 'personal choice' with a little thing called nicotine.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
…and alcohol. It should be banned immediately and made highly illegal.

Upon checking history one may find what happened during such times.

The same would happen again, as people will not let go of alcohol. Even now there are plenty of moonshine distilleries in the woods of some states.

Same for the war on drugs. Make them legal, let people kill themselves if they like , but at least the government would get a few bucks to relieve everybody's tax burden.

Already softening with the medical mary jane anyway.

----------

This report is not GLOBAL it is US only:

NESTLE 247.3 billion in May would be #1 globally.

DynaFXD

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
East Coast
sad that tobacco is still in the top 10
What's interesting is that Marlboro is a brand of the Philip Morris company whereas the others are parent corporations. What this attests to is the PM company's ability to package and market products in a consistent and identifiable way under the Marlboro branding. Nothing more; it's name recognition in the way that the study (see the attached link) captures it. PM itself (and Reynolds and other tobacco companies) have been divesting themselves from the domestic tobacco market. Most of their cigarettes are made and sold over seas now by divested corporations.

Side note: What I find very interesting is the rise of E-cigarettes (i.e. nicotine delivery devices). They were created way back when to solve the tar (cancer causing) problems, but could not be sold due to the fact they are a drug delivery system. Now they can be sold. And look at the ads, it's like we haven't learned anything over the past 50 years. Right back to glamourizing these devices with models and rough looking cowboy types/hipsters in all sorts of 'cool' situations. Until we find out they are also causing problems that were hidden and the cycle starts all over. Human's and their addictions. What a hoot!

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
FWIW- Forbes also has a list of WORLD'S most valuable brands and their top 10 list is:

1. Apple
2. Microsoft
3. Google
4. Coca Cola
5. IBM
6. McDonalds
7. Samsung
8. Toyota
9. GE
10. Facebook

http://www.forbes.com/powerful-brands/list/

P.S. Nestle is #43. Nestle isn't top 10 on any Forbes list:

#43 World's Most Valuable Brands
#30 Global 2000
#59 in Sales
#20 in Profit
#194 in Assets
#14 in Market value
#285 America's Best Employers

To compare, Apple's lists on Forbes:

#1 World's Most Valuable Brands
#12 Global 2000
#11 in Sales
#3 in Profit (#1 in profits? Vodafone #2 ICBC, a Chinese bank (is that where the US debt is??))
#114 in Assets
#1 in Market value
#55 America's Best Employers
#79 Innovative Companies (2013)

Last edited:

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
Me too. I suppose it made the top 10 because those products still have not killed everyone on the planet yet. People are pleased by that so they gave them the most valuable brand award.

Just try to eat a meal outside a restaurant in Paris and you'll know smoking is alive and sick outside the US. Even worse in third world countries. John Oliver did a big segment on his HBO show

https://youtu.be/6UsHHOCH4q8

PandaPunch

macrumors regular
May 4, 2015
Microsoft is that high?! :eek:

Makes sense, Windows 10 looks promising plus due to being much more open than Google and Apple, especially in mobile, MS services will be everywhere. That's not even factoring the Xbox brand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.