Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
I don't see any Apple Car sub. Can we get one? Surely Apple is working in one.

Has there been some sort of indication from Apple that an Apple Car is to be expected? Lacking that, I'm not sure what purpose such a sub forum would serve here other than idle speculation.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Apple doesn't want to sell you a car. Apple wants to sell iOS based systems to car manufacturers.

Sonmi451

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 28, 2014
Tesla
Bump. With all the articles here, surely we can have an Apple car sub to discuss the project.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Bump. With all the articles here, surely we can have an Apple car sub to discuss the project.
As noted, Sub-forums are not created on rumored products. There's really not much to talk about since Apple doesn't have one and denies its working on one.

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Perhaps it's an iPhone Accessory? :D

Seriously though @maflynn & @OllyW , while I know what the policy is, perhaps it should be revised. Since this is indeed a rumors site, it might be worth considering a revision of this policy. After, the question still hasn't been answered: If users do want to discuss future/rumored projects, where are they to discuss them? Industry news?

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The issue is how much discussion will occur, and will that level of discussion justify adding a forum and its oversight? I don't think we're at a level of activity where there will be much more discussion other then the occasional news thread.

Sonmi451

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 28, 2014
Tesla
With the amount of news coming out, I think it will eventually justify its own sub. You can decide when that happens, but it's inevitable. There's news almost every day coming out that is relevant to this project.

I get that an accessory or small rumored product wouldn't need one, but this is a huge complex project that may eventually need its own forum.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
When, and if, such an Apple product is released, then we will likely create a place for it on the forum.
...I understand this, but is it not somewhat of a paradox or catch-22 then? The premise of this site is rumors, not facts. If only facts were reported, it would be an entirely different premise & site.

While I understand the point that you Mods are trying to make here in regard to not creating subs for every rumored future Apple product (for both legwork and clarity purposes), there does seem to be a bit of a discrepancy here.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I guess my point (again) is as follows:

To say that a topic doesn't deserve a sub because it's only a rumor makes sense both in regards to mod work and clarity/ease of site navigation.

To say that this topic falls under this category (and shouldn't have a sub until it's officially acknowledged by Apple) does not make sense given the amount of information circulating around it. Oh, and let's not forget that MR even has a round up on it: https://www.macrumors.com/roundup/apple-car/ Perhaps that's the tipping point instead of official announcement?

Thanks for the consideration, and thanks again for all you guys do. This place really is great.

I would submit that this site has evolved far beyond only Macs and/or only Rumors.
100% absolutely agree. I'm not arguing that at all. (Furthermore, I think it's great that it has.)

Not really. Rumors get news articles by the editors and they're posted in the news discussion forums for everyone to comment on.
Kind of cherry-picking, aren't we?

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
To say that this topic falls under this category (and shouldn't have a sub until it's officially acknowledged by Apple) does not make sense given the amount of information circulating around it. Oh, and let's not forget that MR even has a round up on it: https://www.macrumors.com/roundup/apple-car/ Perhaps that's the tipping point instead of official announcement?

The iWatch/Apple Watch was treated in exactly the same way in the long build up before it's official announcement and also had it's own roundup.

Sonmi451

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 28, 2014
Tesla
I said an Apple car will need its own forum, not sub. You can either create one or someone else will. You guys are missing an opportunity it's funny someone has to convince you.

Also, Comparing a car to a watch is pretty silly.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
The iWatch/Apple Watch was treated in exactly the same way in the long build up before it's official announcement and also had it's own roundup.
Sure, I remember.

I'm not speculating on what has been done or what the current policy is; I'm stating my opinion/suggestion that the policy ought to be revisited and/or revised--at least in this instance.

But as the Polish proverb says, "Not my circus, not my monkeys." ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.