Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Alright so I'm going to call Apple Tomorrow for a replacement keyboard (i hope they say ok...) because whatever keyboard I received (spanish is my current guess) is really aggravating me.

There is to tilde button... the parentheses are in the wrong spot (i hit the shift 8 button where is shows an image of a parentheses and it is really * )

the image of the keyboard:

I just opened my Dual Core 2.3 GHZ PowerMac G5 and i thought I got the wrong keyboard but thought it would operate the same... it doesn't. all the placement is wrong and its killing me to figure out all of the different locations.

Can anyone help/ describe what keyboard I received with my powermac?

--MrMacMan

NYmacAttack

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2005
NY
MrMacMan said:
Alright so I'm going to call Apple Tomorrow for a replacement keyboard (i hope they say ok...) because whatever keyboard I received (spanish is my current guess) is really aggravating me.

There is to tilde button... the parentheses are in the wrong spot (i hit the shift 8 button where is shows an image of a parentheses and it is really * )

I just opened my Dual Core 2.3 GHZ PowerMac G5 and i thought I got the wrong keyboard but thought it would operate the same... it doesn't. all the placement is wrong and its killing me to figure out all of the different locations.

--MrMacMan

My guess would be you got the Western Spanish version.

bigsteve3

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
IL
Yes, that is indeed the Western Spanish keyboard...note the "ayuda" key, which means "help" in Spanish, as well as the ñ key. Perhaps you can exchange with Apple or sell the keyboard on eBay?

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
heh that is pretty funny. Spanish keyboard isn't hard to learn, although you don't speak spanish so it is probably useless. However, I can help you in your dire need.

goto system preferences->international->input menu tab. Ok at the bottom just "Show input menu on the tool bar". After that in the list of countries select "U.S.". go ahead and show all then x. You see a little flag on the right right now, clickie it and make sure it the American flag (or whatever country english speaking country you are from) is selected. You should be able to type using the standard keyboard you are used to, just the keys will be labeled differently. That should help you in the mean time. I switch between english and spanish keyboard all the time. I hope you have your keyboard memorized.

tweakers_suck

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
MrMacMan said:

--MrMacMan

Parece aceptable a mí.

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
MrMacMan said:
are there any funky things I should be wary of like 'don't press this button is deleted everything'

Now remember, your not using a PC.

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
pknz said:
Now remember, your not using a PC.
I didn't think you even had to press a button for all your stuff on a PC to be deleted. :confused: :rolleyes: ;) Or is it recycled?

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
yeah but i still get § instead of tilde which some programs use...

ah i found the tilde key its the key above alt and to the right of shift on the bottom left side of the keyboard.

its still really annoying tho! ahh!

gordonese

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2009
@

Hi Superbovine,

You mentioned that you are constantly switching between the English and Spanish keyboards on your mac, I do the same but I always have to switch back to the English or French keyboard when I want to input the arroba @, do you know how to input it using the Spanish keyboard?

Thank you.

heh that is pretty funny. Spanish keyboard isn't hard to learn, although you don't speak spanish so it is probably useless. However, I can help you in your dire need.

goto system preferences->international->input menu tab. Ok at the bottom just "Show input menu on the tool bar". After that in the list of countries select "U.S.". go ahead and show all then x. You see a little flag on the right right now, clickie it and make sure it the American flag (or whatever country english speaking country you are from) is selected. You should be able to type using the standard keyboard you are used to, just the keys will be labeled differently. That should help you in the mean time. I switch between english and spanish keyboard all the time. I hope you have your keyboard memorized.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.