Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Incredible

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Southern California
I regret buying an app for my iPhone, and I want a refund, so I can use my purchase towards something else.

How would I do this? Is it even possible to get a refund from iTunes or once they have your money, that's that?

I went to my account, clicked on Purchase History, and clicked on Report a Problem, but nothing happened.

I thought a window would open for me to write to customer service asking for a refund, but nothing happened.

So, is it possible to get a refund from the iTunes App Store or am I screwed?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
There are no refunds, the App Store policy states all sales are final. I was able to get a refund once because the app did not work as stated and wouldn't even load because of crashing.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
I got a refund when I downloaded an ipad only game by mistake and was told by apple support this was a one time exception. :rolleyes:

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
This is the ONLY thing that is better about the Android Marketplace. You get a certain time period to test out an app and you get a refund if you don't like it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
This is the ONLY thing that is better about the Android Marketplace. You get a certain time period to test out an app and you get a refund if you don't like it.

Yes, you used to get 24 hours to test it out, but a few months ago google changed that to 15 minutes. Still 15 minutes is better then 0 minutes.

Shenaniganz08

Cancelled
Jan 26, 2010
I regret buying an app for my iPhone, and I want a refund, so I can use my purchase towards something else.

How would I do this? Is it even possible to get a refund from iTunes or once they have your money, that's that?

I went to my account, clicked on Purchase History, and clicked on Report a Problem, but nothing happened.

I thought a window would open for me to write to customer service asking for a refund, but nothing happened.

So, is it possible to get a refund from the iTunes App Store or am I screwed?

buyer's remorse is not a valid reason

can you imagine the amount of fraud if people were allowed to return software after using it

FirePak

macrumors regular
May 5, 2006
Mesa Arizona
Go into your account find the transaction and click report a problem. Email them (you don't have to lie) and they will refund you. I've done this more then once for various reasons.

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
That was one thing i liked about the android market. You could buy an app and test it out for a 24-hour period (They have since changed to a 15min window) but its a nice way to "demo" an app and decide if you really like it or not. I think it works well because if the devs made a good app then you should have no problem paying. If you refund an app and decide to buy it again then it is a final sale.

sbddude

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2010
Nor Cal, USA
That was one thing i liked about the android market. You could buy an app and test it out for a 24-hour period (They have since changed to a 15min window) but its a nice way to "demo" an app and decide if you really like it or not. I think it works well because if the devs made a good app then you should have no problem paying. If you refund an app and decide to buy it again then it is a final sale.

I agree. I think they changed it because people were buying a game and beating it in 24 hours.

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
I agree. I think they changed it because people were buying a game and beating it in 24 hours.

perhaps.. but i think mainly because it gave people a chance test drive the app and write a review, and i dont mean in the market i mean a full blown website/blog/youtube review. I think the 15min window doesnt give you much time for all that.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
1. Find the receipt email.
2. Click "Report a problem"
3. Click "Report a problem" in iTunes after it opens.
4. Choose "I inadvertently purchased this application"
5. Type a request for refund.
6. Submit

Wait a few days and you'll get a refund.

thespazz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
Apple is generally very helpful about refunds. Just don't abuse it. :)

Edit: The General has it right. Do what he says.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
4. Choose "I inadvertently purchased this application"
6. Submit

Wait a few days and you'll get a refund.

I love the advice people give around here...

4. Choose "I want to lie"
6. Submit
7. obtain your ill gotten lucre.

OP - it's hard to do, and if you bought the app and regret it you're usually SoL. It sucks, and I don't really like how (lack of) software returns work, but having integrity and acknowledging your mistakes are fundamental parts of development which most people reach early on, unlike a large section of MR. Doing what the general suggests is no different than buying a DVD, watching it once, scratching it intentionally with a screwdriver, and returning it to the store claiming it was damaged.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Apple is generally very helpful about refunds. Just don't abuse it. :)

Edit: The General has it right. Do what he says.

I don't understand what you're saying, doing what he's suggesting is clearly abusing Apple's return policy. He didn't "accidentally" purchase the app, he purchased it and didn't like it, two very different things. People like the general are why products continue to rise in price and why it's harder and harder for people with legitimate problems to get service and refunds.

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
I don't understand what you're saying, doing what he's suggesting is clearly abusing Apple's return policy. He didn't "accidentally" purchase the app, he purchased it and didn't like it, two very different things. People like the general are why products continue to rise in price and why it's harder and harder for people with legitimate problems to get service and refunds.

b i n g o

plus if people buy apps that they dont like after actually using it and cant return them, the result might be buying less apps.

I think the bottom line for Apple is if everyone was buying and returning they wouldn't be making as much $$$ off the app store. They want to to buy and keep.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
I love the advice people give around here...

4. Choose "I want to lie"
6. Submit
7. obtain your ill gotten lucre.

OP - it's hard to do, and if you bought the app and regret it you're usually SoL. It sucks, and I don't really like how (lack of) software returns work, but having integrity and acknowledging your mistakes are fundamental parts of development which most people reach early on, unlike a large section of MR. Doing what the general suggests is no different than buying a DVD, watching it once, scratching it intentionally with a screwdriver, and returning it to the store claiming it was damaged.

Apple should have a returns system. They are the ones who need an integrity check. This is the work around until they fix the problem.

And that analogy is not at all applicable. In your scenario, property was damaged, resulting in loss of money. In reality, all they do is return my money and revoke my license to use the software.

Mac-Maine

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2010
One of my favorite things to do is read app reviews and see people cry and complain about something thats either all ready expressed in the description or though other reviews. Or just complain its not what they expected.

I LOVE IT

I take such joy out their misery and the fact they just flushed money down the toilet cuz they refused to read or look up a video about the app

alangrehan

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008

Why should you be able to get a refund if you don't like it?

If you bought a newspaper, read it, and didn't like it should you be able to get a refund? No.

Look at the app, look at the price, look at the reviews. If you decide to purchase it then tough if you decide after you use it, you don't like it.

Hairr

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2011
Trial Period Needed

Granted I am new to the "i" anything but at least in the android systems you have a 3 day period where you can return your app if it is not what you expected, needed etc.

LegendKillerUK

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
Granted I am new to the "i" anything but at least in the android systems you have a 3 day period where you can return your app if it is not what you expected, needed etc.

It's now 24 hours I believe. People had been abusing it by buying a game, completing it then asking for refunds.:p

likethesoup2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2011
Orlando, Florida
Most apps (that I see at least) are in the $1-$3 range; so it's not like you're out a bunch of $$.

In my opinion, wanting to return it just because you don't like it, isn't a viable reason for wanting a refund. If the app was faulty, didn't perform as described, something like that, I could see.

To me it sounds like you're making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.