Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Helixc0de

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2011
It means you don't have 3G or even EDGE connectivity, and the radio is falling back to the older, slower GPRS technology.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
No, that's the older, pre-EDGE network known as GPRS. It means you have a data connection but it won't be able to do much more than download an e-mail or two.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
Instead of the circle, it really should be an emoji icon of someone flipping you the bird, because edge and gprs speeds are not even worth attempting.

Edge isn't that bad. I used my 2007 model iPhone for almost 3 years. The WiFi didn't work for the last year as well. I used it all the data all the time. I got by fine.

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
Edge isn't that bad. I used my 2007 model iPhone for almost 3 years. The WiFi didn't work for the last year as well. I used it all the data all the time. I got by fine.

I used to live in the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia near the Luray Caverns... no 3G, just Edge. I couldn't even get a weather forecast or a single email over Edge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.