Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nevzorus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 29, 2012
The title says it all! I have a Windows Computer.

I really hope someone can help me, i want something that converts really fast and that doesn't take 3-4 hours.

Vege-Taco

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2010
Arizona
Everyone says it takes 4 hours? :(

You're talking about analyzing 4GB of video and then compressing it down to 1/4 of the original size. That is a LOT of computational voodoo going on there... It will take time and there is no way around it short of HUGE bucks for hardware and software.

----------

If you don't compress it, it will convert MUCH faster. Then you'll basically just be decrypting the video and packing it into a single file at the same size and quality of the original.

The less compression you use, the faster the rip will run.

Nevzorus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 29, 2012
Wow.. it says that i have to wait 8 hours

----------

You're talking about analyzing 4GB of video and then compressing it down to 1/4 of the original size. That is a LOT of computational voodoo going on there... It will take time and there is no way around it short of HUGE bucks for hardware and software.

----------

If you don't compress it, it will convert MUCH faster. Then you'll basically just be decrypting the video and packing it into a single file at the same size and quality of the original.

The less compression you use, the faster the rip will run.

How do i know that i didn't compress it?

PortableLover

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2012
england
If you have itunes on your computer, simply install another video playing app, which plays various formats. flexplayer is one good app. You can then, simply connect your ipad to your computer and then from itunes, transfer the video file to the app.

Nevzorus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 29, 2012
If you have itunes on your computer, simply install another video playing app, which plays various formats. flexplayer is one good app. You can then, simply connect your ipad to your computer and then from itunes, transfer the video file to the app.

I don't want it in an app, i want to have it in videos so i can watch it whenever i want without an internet connection since my iPad will be Wi-fi.

Nevzorus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 29, 2012
Screw this, converting sucks! Thanks everyone. :) I'm going to sleep now!

Nevzorus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 29, 2012
I want to try this actually, but i don't buy apps. Is there a free good app where i can watch the movie without an internet connection?

seong

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
Handbrake FTW!
You can't go wrong with Handbrake. It's been my companion ever since I had my first iPod Touch, all the way to my new iPad.
Like others have said, run it overnight, with some queues if you need to, and it will be done!

Cobster

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2011
Denmark
Magic DVD Ripper - buy it... works faster...

---Edit----
Oh... you don´t buy stuff... well - your loss...

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Elgato makes a hardware dongle for H.264 encoding.

What we really need is an encoder that uses the H.264 hardware encoder in the modern HD3000/4000 chipset & CPU combos.

seong

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
I want to try this actually, but i don't buy apps. Is there a free good app where i can watch the movie without an internet connection?

Oopsy daisy, didn't see this post. Sorry about that.
Anyways, to answer your question.... I haven't seen a good app that can stream movies via wifi in home network. Instead, I bought an app called 'Videostream.' It works quite nicely. Yes, it's a paid app, but you get what you pay for :D

gngan

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld
Just JB and get VLC then watch it there. No encoding needed. You don't even need internet connection to watch it.

dchao

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2008
Just JB and get VLC then watch it there. No encoding needed. You don't even need internet connection to watch it.

Why don't you answer OP's question?

OP is trying to rip a Harry Potter and the deathly hallows DVD. and then want to have it stored in iPad so he/she can watch it whenever. But OP doesn't want to wait for the ripping and conversion.

My vote goes to handbrake and let it run overnight as well. Because MPEG4/H.264 is the native encoding format for iPad.

Nevzorus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 29, 2012
Thanks everyone! :) My posts were confusing :/

Why, WHY is every answer in every thread "jailbreak"? I don't WANT TO!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.