Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:40 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Reportedly Paid $21 Million for Rights to Swiss Railways Clock Design

Back in September, the Swiss Federal Railways accused Apple of copying its iconic clock design for the new Clock app for iPad included as part of iOS 6. Several weeks later, the agency announced that the dispute had been settled with Apple signing a licensing agreement for the design, although terms of the agreement were not announced.

Tages-Anzeiger now reports [Google translation] that the licensing agreement resulted in Apple making a payment of approximately 20 million Swiss francs ($21 million) to the agency. The report indicates that amount has been leaked by several sources, but the Swiss Federal Railways and Apple have refused to comment on the situation.

The report also suggests that the licensing agreement may not provide any compensation to watchmaker Mondaine, which has been the sole consumer-focused licensee of the design. Mondaine is reportedly happy that Apple has provided increased visibility for the clock design, but remains in discussions with the Swiss Federal Railways over the issue in order to ensure that it is resolved to the satisfaction of all parties involved.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Paid $21 Million for Rights to Swiss Railways Clock Design
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:41 PM   #2
joelvega125
macrumors regular

just 21 mil huh? Yikes...
joelvega125 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:42 PM   #3
Astroexe
macrumors member

I mean it's nice but... was paying 20mill cheaper than loosing an argument?
Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:09 PM   #4
KPOM
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroexe View Post
I mean it's nice but... was paying 20mill cheaper than loosing an argument?
My guess is that it is based on an estimate of the number of devices sold that use that design. Since Apple sells a lot of iPads, the royalties are higher.
KPOM is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:42 PM   #5
crypticlineage
macrumors regular

Wow, thats incredible!

Remember that the consumer will be the one picking up the tab at the end.
crypticlineage is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:17 PM   #6
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticlineage View Post
Wow, thats incredible!

It will be consumers (those travelling with the Swiss railway) who get the benefit at the end.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:32 PM   #7
Boghog
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
It will be consumers (those travelling with the Swiss railway) who get the benefit at the end.
Nice
But it doesn't work that way. Swiss rail won't lower their prices and neither will Apple raise theirs. Every company will always ask the highest price for their product they think they can get away with. So these 21 million come out of the shareholders' pockets, not the customers'.
Boghog is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:51 PM   #8
faroZ06
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boghog View Post
Nice
But it doesn't work that way. Swiss rail won't lower their prices and neither will Apple raise theirs. Every company will always ask the highest price for their product they think they can get away with. So these 21 million come out of the shareholders' pockets, not the customers'.
Yeah, exactly. Apple shows this whenever they charge way more for extra RAM than what the parts cost and when they make more profit off of iPads than competitors (who make around <$0 profit) do.
faroZ06 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:47 PM   #9
Mak47
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boghog View Post
Nice
Of course it works that way.

Swiss Rail wouldn't likely lower prices for customers, but if they have a major cash influx, they'll likely spend it upgrading facilities and equipment. This would directly benefit their customers.

All businesses, Apple included, factor the cost of doing business into the price of their products. A specific cost like this one wouldn't likely amount to enough to raise the price of products on their own. However, this cost combined with all the other various costs of doing business (components, labor, real estate, taxes etc.) are what determines the final price of products.

When those costs go up, the price of products increases. When they go down, additional features can be added, higher margins can be temporarily taken (if reductions are seen as temporary) or prices can be reduced to be more competitive.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobtodd View Post
As a stock holder I think that was a terrible mistake and a waste of money.Someone should have been fired for that.....oh wait.
It would be a terrible mistake if it were true. I still don't think it is.
Mak47 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:35 PM   #10
rei101
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Wow, thats incredible!

Yes.. we are paying for that, no wonder Apple is getting greedy with customer service.

Last year the battery of my MBP explode and they gave me a replacement for free even the recall was over. This last week the same battery explode again and I had to pay $100 even the replacement was supposed to be better quality than the original.
rei101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:46 PM   #11
coolfactor
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by rei101 View Post
Yes.. we are paying for that, no wonder Apple is getting greedy with customer service.

Last year the battery of my MBP explode and they gave me a replacement for free even the recall was over. This last week the same battery explode again and I had to pay $100 even the replacement was supposed to be better quality than the original.
Greedy with customer service? Not sure those words belong together.

So it sounds like you were hoping to get a _better_ battery for free? When I've purchased replacement batteries, they've typically been more than $100, so you probably got yours at a discount. Why are you complaining?

But to take a couple of steps back... why are your batteries exploding? Are you letting them get too hot?
coolfactor is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:51 PM   #12
RMo
macrumors 6502a

"the licensing agreement may not provide any compensation to watchmaker Mondaine..."

And why would it? They're just another licensee of the design.
RMo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:29 PM   #13
dumell
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMo View Post
"the licensing agreement may not provide any compensation to watchmaker Mondaine..."

And why would it? They're just another licensee of the design.
Actually, Mondaine bought exclusive rights to the design so they might be entitled to some compensation now that their license no longer is exclusive.
dumell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:01 PM   #14
rei101
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post
Greedy with customer service? Not sure those words belong together.

So it sounds like you were hoping to get a _better_ battery for free? When I've purchased replacement batteries, they've typically been more than $100, so you probably got yours at a discount. Why are you complaining?

But to take a couple of steps back... why are your batteries exploding? Are you letting them get too hot?
It has the regular use, besides my bed, web browsing at night and at the morning. Its a 17" MBP, I have this iMac and another iMac at work. The battery started to expand all of the sudden in 3 day period, started on a Monday and I went to the Apple store on Friday when the thing was already huge. The first battery they gave me a year ago or so was free. This one was a refurbish (not new) for $100.
rei101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:24 PM   #15
Morod
macrumors 65816

"Time is money".
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:35 AM   #16
hchung
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rei101 View Post
It has the regular use, besides my bed, web browsing at night and at the morning. Its a 17" MBP, I have this iMac and another iMac at work. The battery started to expand all of the sudden in 3 day period, started on a Monday and I went to the Apple store on Friday when the thing was already huge. The first battery they gave me a year ago or so was free. This one was a refurbish (not new) for $100.
1) Expanding and exploding are two very different things.
2) For $100, how do you know it's a rebuilt pack?
hchung is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:46 PM   #17
devinher
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Wow, thats incredible!

No they won't. Pricing is decided by supply and demand. Shareholders are the ones that lose when companies waste money, not that Apple will miss this much cash.

I find it kind of hard to believe that they paid this much anyway. Maybe it includes some kind of advertising for Apple or they just misplaced the decimal.
devinher is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:42 PM   #18
TomD1
macrumors newbie

This is fair.
TomD1 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:42 PM   #19
miniroll32
macrumors 6502a

That's one expensive clock... Can it make a drink?
miniroll32 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:44 PM   #20
neiltc13
macrumors 68040

Or you could look at it another way - 21 million that could have been spent upgrading Mac Pro or fixing Final Cut Pro X, but they chose to spend it on a fancy clock instead.
neiltc13 is offline   31 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:00 PM   #21
iRCL
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post
Or you could look at it another way - 21 million that could have been spent upgrading Mac Pro or fixing Final Cut Pro X, but they chose to spend it on a fancy clock instead.
Yeah, because throwing money at a problem creates better software instantly..

I am sure the groups responsible for those 2 things are quite heavily funded
iRCL is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:23 PM   #22
baryon
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Not to mention all of those silly lawsuits, those cost even more than this tiny little settlement.

But I don't think Apple needs more money in order to fix their products, they just need to want to do it, and then "just do it", that's all…
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:25 PM   #23
Rockoar
macrumors regular

I guess it make sense: with all the money Apple is saving by no paying it fair share of taxes (not only in the US) they can spend 20 -and even more- money on tribal things like this. Hooray!
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:37 AM   #24
Millah
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I'm sure they're spending plenty of money doing that. Have patience. Sheesh. They've got 100 billion dollars in the bank, you think they somehow can't afford to do both?
Millah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:44 AM   #25
Fandongo
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millah View Post
I'm sure they're spending plenty of money doing that. Have patience. Sheesh. They've got 100 billion dollars in the bank, you think they somehow can't afford to do both?
Shhh, don't crack the nest egg.
In tomorrows news: Apple announces $20million in layoffs... "This is in no way related to the recent [drunk] purchase of a theoretical clock."

Edit: However, It was a much better deal than instagram.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion