Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CheesyTators

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 26, 2010
SE Michigan
I am new to Blu-ray and HD video encoding/rebuilding etc.... I noticed Apple's 1080p movies via iTunes look outstanding and they are relatively small (3-6GB per 2 hour movie.) Is it possible for me to achieve the same result with Handbrake and an existing Blu-ray I have ripped to my hard drive? What settings would I need to use? Is this even possible or does Apple use super secret squirrel software and encoding technology?

Thanks for the help.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
I am new to Blu-ray and HD video encoding/rebuilding etc.... I noticed Apple's 1080p movies via iTunes look outstanding and they are relatively small (3-6GB per 2 hour movie.) Is it possible for me to achieve the same result with Handbrake and an existing Blu-ray I have ripped to my hard drive? What settings would I need to use? Is this even possible or does Apple use super secret squirrel software and encoding technology?

Thanks for the help.

Well, I certainly wouldn't call iTunes videos "outstanding" - they certainly exhibit all the symptoms of too high a compression rate: banding, compression artefacts etc. (See https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1340463/ for an excellent comparison.) Go for significantly less compression with HandBrake - around 10 Mbps bitrate for 1080p.

----------

Blu-ray is all copy-protected.

MakeMKV rips it nonetheless and it's legal in most countries.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.