Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:18 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

AT&T Offers Refurbished iPhone 5 Starting at $99

AT&T is now offering refurbished iPhone 5 devices at a $100 discount from their usual price. The new offer was noted by 9to5Mac.

Customers are still required to sign up for a 2 year contract, as with the regular iPhone 5.

AT&T appears to be offering all permutations of color and size. The discount across the board for the refurbished units is $100 from the up front cost.

- 16GB Black iPhone 5 - $99
- 32GB Black iPhone 5 - $199
- 64GB Black iPhone 5 - $299

- 16GB White iPhone 5 - $99
- 32GB White iPhone 5 - $199
- 64GB White iPhone 5 - $299

The refurbished iPhones are available online-only.

Article Link: AT&T Offers Refurbished iPhone 5 Starting at $99
MacRumors is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:21 AM   #2
viperGTS
macrumors 6502a

Betting these are the scratched up ones that people have been trading in lately.
viperGTS is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:02 AM   #3
obamtl
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperGTS View Post
Betting these are the scratched up ones that people have been trading in lately.
Yes, and no. I understand that Apple swap out the cases of refurbished phones as standard, so it will likely be in pristine condition if it's an Apple condition, even if it was originally scratched before getting sent back.
obamtl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:22 AM   #4
Missmonie
macrumors newbie

I purchased this deal yesterday. The att rep on the phone said the phone goes through a thorough check and all outer casing and the screen is replaced so the phone is essentially brand new. I hope that's true! I've had several refurbished blackberrys from Verizon and they were always like new.
Missmonie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:49 AM   #5
nburwell
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Haha, I was thinking the same exact thing. But I'm sure there are a lot of customers who are in the dark about "scratchgate".
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:27 PM   #6
tomashi
macrumors regular

Scratched up? You guys are kidding or retarded right? You know Apple puts a new shell on everything that is refurbished.
tomashi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:09 PM   #7
achtungfemme
macrumors member

Seems as though the refurbs are sold out and AT&T's website has been screwy all day as I was trying to upgrade.

The weirdest thing is that when I add an iPhone 4S refurb as a NEW customer, they are in stock and I can purchase them. But as an UPGRADE they are out of stock. I mentioned this to the support chat person and he just kept saying they were out of stock and pointed me in the direction of other great phone models they had on sale today.

What the frick is going on?!!

Anyone else have this issue?

Last edited by achtungfemme; Nov 26, 2012 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Spelling
achtungfemme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:14 PM   #8
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackberryroid View Post
No matter how desperate I am for a product, I'll never get a refurbished one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensocal View Post
I won't buy a referb phone, it's a 50/50 chance you wil get a lemon. I work in the cell phone biz and I see what comes back for refer.. NO THANKS... Pay the extra 100.00 get in the STORE .. Not online .. Have the right experience of enjoying the best phone in the world , first hand , if you can't afford full price DON'T BUY ONE.
I can't comment on refurbs, in general; I guess it's 'buyer beware'. Having said that, if these are APPLE refurbs, one needn't worry. You're hard pressed to distinguish them from 'new', plus full warranty, and available APPLE-CARE; they are good deals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhawks View Post
.....BTW: The longest person living without food was Irom Chanu Sharmila who didn't eat for 500 weeks.
That's well over 9.5 years. Find that hard to believe, source please?
macs4nw is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:46 AM   #9
imagineadam
macrumors regular

Quote:
Finally got my 16gb black yesterday. Very impressed. The first guy who posted this is most likely right on. Indeed my phone had one tiny scuff in the mirror finish. But that was it! Everything else flawless! Even though I myself am kinda OCD this isn't bothering me knowing that I got a brand new phone for $100 cheaper! It's gonna get scratched up anyways! Glad I saved one of those thousands of misfit iPhone 5's with a tiny scuff!
imagineadam is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:20 AM   #10
pommephone
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineadam View Post
Finally got my 16gb black yesterday. Very impressed. The first guy who posted this is most likely right on. Indeed my phone had one tiny scuff in the mirror finish. But that was it! Everything else flawless! Even though I myself am kinda OCD this isn't bothering me knowing that I got a brand new phone for $100 cheaper! It's gonna get scratched up anyways! Glad I saved one of those thousands of misfit iPhone 5's with a tiny scuff!
Actually, you didn't get it for $100 cheaper and you didn't get a brand new phone. You got a scuffed up used iPhone for only $50 cheaper because you can now buy a brand new one at BestBuy, RadioShack or Target for $149.99.

It will be interesting to see what AT&T charges for refurbished iPhone 5 once they get more in stock. I thought $99 was a pretty good deal until the price drop to $149.99 for brand new.
pommephone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:53 AM   #11
mscriv
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommephone View Post
Actually, you didn't get it for $100 cheaper and you didn't get a brand new phone. You got a scuffed up used iPhone for only $50 cheaper because you can now buy a brand new one at BestBuy, RadioShack or Target for $149.99.

It will be interesting to see what AT&T charges for refurbished iPhone 5 once they get more in stock. I thought $99 was a pretty good deal until the price drop to $149.99 for brand new.
The $50 discount at those retailers is a limited time offer. The phone will go back up to the normal price after the holidays. I'd say it's a safe bet that At&t will hold out for a little longer at the $50 off rate, but that very soon the standard refurb price will be $100 off the normal rate.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:22 AM   #12
imagineadam
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommephone View Post

Okay maybe not brand new but for a phone that has been out for only two months and with all the OCD people returning them with tiny scuffs pretty much the day or day after they have opened them that's pretty much brand new to me! And when I ordered it on the 23rd there were no other deals going on. Maybe there are now like you said. But anyways I'm happy with my barely used tiny scuffed iPhone 5! You can't take it away from me!
imagineadam is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:21 AM   #13
MarximusMG
macrumors 6502a

Pretty impressive pricing. Wonder how long stock will last.
MarximusMG is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:27 AM   #14
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Permanent or just for Black Friday?
dukebound85 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:36 AM   #15
xionxiox
macrumors regular

YES! i hope the supplies lasts until my upgrade
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:38 AM   #16
arn
macrumors god

Send a message via AIM to arn
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebound85 View Post
Permanent or just for Black Friday?
seems likely to stick around (as supplies last)

arn
arn is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:37 AM   #17
jmsait19
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to jmsait19
Bought a refurb 4 for my wife, couple years ago... Like typical Apple refurbs, it came in perfect condition. Kinda bummed we already bought 5's, because I'd have no problem doing this again.
jmsait19 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 04:24 PM   #18
doodads
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsait19 View Post
Bought a refurb 4 for my wife, couple years ago... Like typical Apple refurbs, it came in perfect condition. Kinda bummed we already bought 5's, because I'd have no problem doing this again.
These aren't Apple refurbs, they are AT&T refurbs.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF_productions View Post
What's the warranty on this?
When I bought a refurbised iPhone 4 from AT&T, the Apple warranty applied based on the original purchase date of the phone. If you give Apple your serial number, they can tell you when the original owner bought it and how much warranty is left. For these refurbs at this point, the end of the warranty is likely to be next June or July.
doodads is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:31 PM   #19
screensaver400
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodads View Post
For these refurbs at this point, the end of the warranty is likely to be next June or July.
iPhone 5 only went on sale September 21, 2012. Since a one-year warranty is standard, the earliest warranty end date is one year from that date.
screensaver400 is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:16 AM   #20
mscriv
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodads View Post
When I bought a refurbised iPhone 4 from AT&T, the Apple warranty applied based on the original purchase date of the phone. If you give Apple your serial number, they can tell you when the original owner bought it and how much warranty is left.
Just thought I would echo this. My wife and I bought refurb iPhone 4's through At&t almost two years ago and this was the case for us. We plugged in the serial numbers at Apple's website and found out when each phone's warranty expired. We could have purchased Applecare to extend the warranty, but chose not to do so. Our refurbs have been great and were cosmetically excellent. The plan is that sometime soon we will buy iPhone 5 refurbs to upgrade.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:24 AM   #21
nickpro
macrumors regular

Has this ever happened this fast?

There's no doubt in my mind this is due to the scratchability of the 5's and the over-abundance of swapped and now refurbished units.
nickpro is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:58 AM   #22
Blackberryroid
Banned

No matter how desperate I am for a product, I'll never get a refurbished one.
Blackberryroid is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:28 AM   #23
siurpeeman
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to siurpeeman
curious to know if one could purchase applecare+ on one of these.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:45 AM   #24
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

Not bad. It'll be $0 on contract by next year though at this rate.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:53 AM   #25
cc2096
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by siurpeeman View Post
curious to know if one could purchase applecare+ on one of these.

^^This...

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion