Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Edde1

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
Hello. First post here! I have order a mac mini i7 2012 and need a display. I have find a refurb cinema display 27" without thunderbolt. I understand that i need a adapter to fit. Is that possible. Need a fast answer plzz:)))

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
No adapter would be necessary. Straight from Apple's site:
And because Thunderbolt is based on DisplayPort technology, the video standard for high-resolution displays, any Mini DisplayPort display plugs right into the Thunderbolt port.

Since your display has mini DisplayPort, you can plug it directly into the Mini's Thunderbolt port.

Edde1

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
No adapter would be necessary. Straight from Apple's site:

Since your display has mini DisplayPort, you can plug it directly into the Mini's Thunderbolt port.

Ahaha epic fail. Thats nice. I hope that display is worth extra money. I. Workning with photo alot. Thanks for fast help!

cyclotron451

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2005
Europe
YES: 27" cinema display with minidisplay + macmini 2012 possible?

the refurb Apple 27" cinema display should work directly as the Mac mini 2012 Thunderbolt port still is backwards compatible with miniDisplayPort - which is the only input available to the 27" ACD. You will not need any adapter to fit as the 27" ACD comes with its single miniDisplayPort cable hardwired. I use a 27" ACD and it is a great display - but very expensive new. It has a great digital audio amplifier and speakers, I like the combination very much! Good luck!

(Here in Europe the 27" ACD is selling for around 1000 euros list price, but I have seen occasional discounts down to 888 euros, new. I've never seen it refurb here. I get the feeling that maybe we'll see a refresh of Apple 27" displays in 2013 with USB3 hubs etcetera - but the 27" ACD might well disappear leaving only the 27" Thunderbolt Display)

Edde1

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
the refurb Apple 27" cinema display should work directly as the Mac mini 2012 Thunderbolt port still is backwards compatible with miniDisplayPort - which is the only input available to the 27" ACD. You will not need any adapter to fit as the 27" ACD comes with its single miniDisplayPort cable hardwired. I use a 27" ACD and it is a great display - but very expensive new. It has a great digital audio amplifier and speakers, I like the combination very much! Good luck!

(Here in Europe the 27" ACD is selling for around 1000 euros list price, but I have seen occasional discounts down to 888 euros, new. I've never seen it refurb here. I get the feeling that maybe we'll see a refresh of Apple 27" displays in 2013 with USB3 hubs etcetera - but the 27" ACD might well disappear leaving only the 27" Thunderbolt Display)

I hope its worth it. I. Will pay 500eur for 1.5 year old 27"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.