Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:05 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

T-Mobile USA to Begin Selling Apple Products in 2013

In line with analyst speculation from last week, Engadget reports that Deutsche Telekom CEO Rene Obermann has just announced at his company's analyst day event that T-Mobile USA will begin selling Apple products in 2013.
Quote:
The announcement was posted --nearly as an afterthought, oddly enough -- as part of a press release in which Deutsche Telekom spelled out its financial plans through 2015. While the two companies have not explicitly given specifics on which Apple devices we can expect to see in a retail store near you, the timing of the launch will likely correspond with the fourth-largest carrier's LTE launch in 2013.
T-Mobile is currently the only one of the four major U.S. carriers to not offer the iPhone, due at least in part to longstanding incompatibilities between Apple's hardware and the spectrum used by T-Mobile for its fastest data networks. The carrier has, however, been working hard to refarm its spectrum to add compatibility for frequencies supported by the iPhone, and it previously stated that it would be ready for the iPhone by the end of 2012. T-Mobile USA will also be rolling out LTE service for its customers in 2013.

Update: Deutsche Telekom's press release is now available.
Quote:
The higher investment volume is to be used to roll out the broadband infrastructure in Germany and the United States in particular. In the mobile communications network, this will be done using the state-of-the-art technology LTE. Around EUR 6 billion is earmarked for rolling out the broadband infrastructure in the German fixed network with optical fiber and vectoring between 2013 and 2020. In addition, T-Mobile USA has entered into an agreement with Apple to bring products to market together in 2013.
No further details on exactly which products are included in the deal are available yet, but presumably both the iPhone and iPad will be coming to T-Mobile.

Update 2: Apple has also confirmed to The Loop that it has struck a deal with T-Mobile.

Article Link: T-Mobile USA to Begin Selling Apple Products in 2013
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:06 AM   #2
GeekLawyer
macrumors Demi-God

Very interesting. Wonder if they'll begin as Verizon did; selling WiFi-capable iPads at first with mifi devices.

Or will they jump in with both feet with supported devices; i.e., iPads and iPhones.
GeekLawyer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:07 AM   #3
ghsNick
macrumors 65816

Too bad the hot girl in their commercials won't come with it
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:08 AM   #4
Hakone
macrumors 6502

Hot T-Mobile chic holding an iPhone. Whoa indeed.
Hakone is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:11 AM   #5
TouchMint.com
macrumors 65816

This is great news for consumers and developers!

TouchMint.com is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:16 AM   #6
theBB
macrumors 68020

I've got a friend who has switched to T-Mobile with an AT&T smartphone. His impressions around here regarding T-Mobile's data coverage is not very promising in the near term. In less urban areas, it will probably be even more marginal for a long time. It may turn out to be "you get what you pay for" type of deal.
theBB is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:12 AM   #7
SmileyBlast!
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakone View Post
Someone should post a picture.
SmileyBlast! is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:16 AM   #8
ProudLoz
macrumors regular

Oh man, this is great news. T-mobile's unlimited data already has me sold, I'm just waiting to see if I should take my AT&T iPhone 5 over or see if they'll have an iPhone 5 with a different radio chip that will be able to get the other frequencies for their 4G network.
ProudLoz is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:21 AM   #9
chrisrayb
macrumors newbie

After years of iPhone bashing, let the hypocritical jock riding begin!
chrisrayb is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:46 PM   #10
AlvinNguyen
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileyBlast! View Post
She's pretty amazing. I've done a photo shoot for her. Lovely personality too!

http://www.alvinnguyen.com/photo/carly-foulkes/

AlvinNguyen is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:43 PM   #11
tardman91
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakone View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileyBlast! View Post
You're welcome.

tardman91 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:50 PM   #12
AlvinNguyen
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by tardman91 View Post
You're welcome.
Actually you're welcome because I took that shot haha

All jokes aside that is my picture and I'm glad you like it.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 02:25 PM   #13
andyx3x
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by tardman91 View Post
You're welcome.

I wonder how long before T-Mobile has an iPhone commercial out there. I would think pretty quickly.
andyx3x is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:11 PM   #14
ericrwalker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoejohndoes View Post

I'll take her bike, sold mine 2 years ago a couple of months before I had my daughter and I miss it every day. Hopefully I can afford another one in the near future, right now my family is more important.
ericrwalker is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:45 PM   #15
Boatboy24
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I didn't see that specified in the press release, so there's still a chance!
Boatboy24 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 02:56 PM   #16
Tiger8
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I absolutely **heart** the commercials where she puts on the helmet and tight biker gear!
Tiger8 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:08 AM   #17
snarestud940
macrumors regular

Yes!!!!!! FINALLY!!!!!!!!

But no 3G in my area. Will the Tmobile phones have it?
iPhone 5, 16 GB, T-Mobile
snarestud940 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 01:08 PM   #18
7enderbender
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekLawyer View Post
Very interesting. Wonder if they'll begin as Verizon did; selling WiFi-capable iPads at first with mifi devices.

Or will they jump in with both feet with supported devices; i.e., iPads and iPhones.
Here a statement per dowjones.com:

"T-Mobile USA's CEO John Legere said that it will be a "different and unique product" and that all analyst reports on T-Mobile USA's adaption of the iPhone "have been wrong." Still, it will take several months until Apple products will be launched, Legere also said at the Bonn event.
T-Mobile is the only major U.S. wireless carrier that doesn't offer the iPhone, and its executives have cited that omission as a key reason T-Mobile continues to lose hundreds of thousands of valuable contract customers to competitors. "

So this doesn't sound like there will be any US T-mobile iPhone any time soon. Wonder if they'll have the new Blackberry. I've been a loyal t-mobile customer since the Voicestream times. And I need a new phone soon since the screen on my BB is on its way out. I don't want one of those gigantic Samsung phones or so. The iPhone 5 is already too big I find. So let's see what actually happens but it looks more like some t-mobile branded tablet or so.

Last edited by 7enderbender; Dec 6, 2012 at 01:14 PM.
7enderbender is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 01:26 PM   #19
SnowLeopard OSX
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7enderbender View Post

"T-Mobile USA's CEO John Legere said that it will be a "different and unique product" and that all analyst reports on T-Mobile USA's adaption of the iPhone "have been wrong." Still, it will take several months until Apple products will be launched, Legere also said at the Bonn event.
T-Mobile is the only major U.S. wireless carrier that doesn't offer the iPhone, and its executives have cited that omission as a key reason T-Mobile continues to lose hundreds of thousands of valuable contract customers to competitors. "

So this doesn't sound like there will be any US T-mobile iPhone any time soon. Wonder if they'll have the new Blackberry. I've been a loyal t-mobile customer since the Voicestream times. And I need a new phone soon since the screen on my BB is on its way out. I don't want one of those gigantic Samsung phones or so. The iPhone 5 is already too big I find. So let's see what actually happens but it looks more like some t-mobile branded tablet or so.
What other kind of product, other than a phone/handset, would a Telecom based company be inclined to sell? In fact, there's only two products that Apple sells that could possibly fit into that category -- iPhones and iPads. I find it difficult to believe that T-Mobile would find it strategically advantageous to start carrying cellular iPads before carrying (now very much compatible) iPhone 4,4S, and 5.

You shouldn't read too much into it.
iPhone |4S White/16GB/ iOS 7.0|3G White/16GB iOS 4.2.1
SnowLeopard OSX is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 02:12 PM   #20
7enderbender
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard OSX View Post
What other kind of product, other than a phone/handset, would a Telecom based company be inclined to sell? In fact, there's only two products that Apple sells that could possibly fit into that category -- iPhones and iPads. I find it difficult to believe that T-Mobile would find it strategically advantageous to start carrying cellular iPads before carrying (now very much compatible) iPhone 4,4S, and 5.

You shouldn't read too much into it.
I don't know what's there to read into it. He says it pretty clearly. An iPad would make sense because they could support that with their current technology. I don't think the iPhone would work yet given Apple's unique expectations and restrictions. For most part it sounds like you'd be on EDGE speed with those and that's slower than my 3G Blackberry. Who wants to put up with that?

I'm more curious if this will all lead to a potential takeover in the end. Very speculative of course but Apple investing into communication infrastructure kind of makes sense. Their not selling services and I don't think you can maintain being the biggest tech company and all you do is sell gadgets with now a side business of selling computers. That can't be sustainable. While Facebook is selling hot air others have diversified as a long term strategy - see google or amazon. Apple needs to quickly come up with something and investors won't like it if they keep sitting on unimaginable wads of cash.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 02:38 PM   #21
ComSense
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to ComSense Send a message via Yahoo to ComSense
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7enderbender View Post

What's weird about this is that Legere has also said the exact opposite today, too, according to this LA Times story:
Quote:
John Legere, chief executive of T-Mobile USA, has confirmed the network will carry the iPhone. Talking about upcoming smartphones T-Mobile will carry, he held up an iPhone, saying the list included the Apple device.
So . . . I'm confused as hell, but I want to believe the latter quote. Hard to say, when BOTH come from the same guy at the same event on the same day.
ComSense is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:17 AM   #22
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
All Cylinders!

This is great news. T-Mobile has the capacity to move a significant number of iPhones.

Combined with the news that Apple will be moving production back into the USA, the stock is skyrocketing.

Tim Cook is a freaking genius. Keep it up Tim!
iGrip is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:18 AM   #23
SpyderBite
macrumors 65816

This is just hspa 4g though, right? No LTE yet on T-mobile?
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:23 AM   #24
emeraldringer
macrumors member

This is great news. In the past I've had Cingular, ATT, and Verizon plans. By far, the best value and fit for me has been my current $30/month T-Mobile prepaid plan.
emeraldringer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 01:54 PM   #25
M-O
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldringer View Post
This is great news. In the past I've had Cingular, ATT, and Verizon plans. By far, the best value and fit for me has been my current $30/month T-Mobile prepaid plan.
i'm on the same plan, only my area doesn't get 3G/4G... and edge sucks. here's to hoping they speed up the upgrade.
M-O is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion