Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applefanboy5

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
If i first had a black iPhone 5 and then i exchanged it for a white one hoping it wouldn't be scratched out of the box what options do i have left? I already exchanged from Verizon and they have a one return/exchange policy. Will apple help me replace for a new device if i explain to them my problem?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
No matter where you bought your iphone its still covered by Apples 1 year applecare warranty.
And yes you can bring it to them and have it replaced if they approve it for cosmetic defects.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
If you swap it out at apple, you'll probably get one in a white box and most likely its a reconditioned phone.

cpthk

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2009
Anyone know the difference between the black and the silver color process? Is the black iphone having extra paint on top of the silver aluminum?
So since white iphone doesn't have that extra black paint, it is less likely that the paint would come off?

Insulin Junkie

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2008
Mainland Europe
Anyone know the difference between the black and the silver color process? Is the black iphone having extra paint on top of the silver aluminum?
So since white iphone doesn't have that extra black paint, it is less likely that the paint would come off?

It's anodized, meaning the back is fairly scratch resistant on both models. It's the edges of the phone by the screen that chip and scuff easily, and you'll see the silver color coming through on the black version. Both the back and the screen are fairly scratch-proof.

Last edited:

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
No matter where you bought your iphone its still covered by Apples 1 year applecare warranty.
And yes you can bring it to them and have it replaced if they approve it for cosmetic defects.

Yes Apple will swap it out for a refurbished. Sounds like OP is wanting a brand new device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.