Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wano

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2002
I am thinking of getting a PowerBook with a external display and a 120GB firewire hard drive. I want to wait till they release the new line in 2003. Does anyone know what the rumors are about this line?

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
you are most likely gonna be waiting until at least early march. best bet is to go ahead and buy now. that is unless you can do without a new computer for 4 months or so.

Wano

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2002
i am fine with that...cause i wont be able to afford one untill then anyways...and the reason i want a powerbook is because i travel a lot, and i usually leave the country in mid july...and this year a friend and i are putting together a movie...so it will work out!

Gus

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
I can only assume you meant MacWorld New York in July? No WAY anything is coming out Powerbook-wise in January ion San Fran.

Gus

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
The one thing you might see by MWSF worth waiting for is a new line of monitors - I'm hoping to see a 19" wide format, that would be slick. But if not, you should look into getting one of the formac monitors, much nicer in quality than anything else out there and they look great too!

http://www.formac.com

D

technocoy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2002
Raleigh, NC
go ahead an get it

I just got a new 1 ghz powerbook and it smokes.... i think it's nearly as fast as my dual 867 were it not for the slower hard-drive... That 64meg ATI makes aqua run smooth as butter!! and i'm lovin my 22in cinema display!1:D

I say get one now if you have the cash,
otherwise it's quite a wait.

Wano

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2002
Re: go ahead an get it

Originally posted by technocoy
I just got a new 1 ghz powerbook and it smokes.... i think it's nearly as fast as my dual 867 were it not for the slower hard-drive... That 64meg ATI makes aqua run smooth as butter!! and i'm lovin my 22in cinema display!1:D

I say get one now if you have the cash,
otherwise it's quite a wait.

well, i dont have the cash yet! but i will in about 3-6months, wich is not to big of a deal considering by then i will have enough footage to make my film.

i saw somewhere on some website that the powerbook 1Ghz performed equaly and better, to the dual 867, in some tests, except for one photoshop, which it lagged behind by two seconds.

MacRoni

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2002
Usually, new powerbook revisions come out every 6+ months, so don't hold your breath....I'd say wait till March, April-ish before considering a new revision. The one that just came out is smoking and I was first in line for that one myself. I love the Ghz powerbook to death. If you can't wait, buy now while they are relatively new!!!!

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Re: Re: go ahead an get it

Originally posted by Wano

well, i dont have the cash yet! but i will in about 3-6months, wich is not to big of a deal considering by then i will have enough footage to make my film.

i saw somewhere on some website that the powerbook 1Ghz performed equaly and better, to the dual 867, in some tests, except for one photoshop, which it lagged behind by two seconds.

in six months, there definitely will be something improved on the tibook...maybe just a speed or ram bump

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.