Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 4, 2013, 01:19 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

OS X 10.9 Activity Ramping Up as Speculation on Developer Preview Release Increases

AppleInsider reported late last week that web traffic logs from machines claiming to run OS X 10.9 had jumped from "a few dozen" back in October into the thousands last month, suggesting that the new operating system may be close to making its first appearance. MacRumors is seeing a nearly identical trend, with a significant increase in OS X 10.9 activity since last November.

Hits on macrumors.com from systems identifying themselves as running OS X 10.9 in January 2013
Apple needs to test new platforms with a wide range of websites, and server logs can be examined to see which operating systems and browsers are in use, tipping off sites when a new OS appears. While such data can be easily faked in browsers, the trends currently being observed are consistent with past releases and previous examinations have shown OS X 10.9 hits coming from IP addresses associated with Apple.

Growth in hits on macrumors.com from systems identifying themselves as running OS X 10.9
Apple has recently been launching new versions of OS X on an annual basis, with OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion having launched in July of last year, a year after 10.7 Lion in July 2011. Apple released the first developer preview of OS X Mountain Lion in mid-February of last year, so it seems reasonable that the company could be looking at similar timing for OS X 10.9.

It has been rumored that OS X 10.9 will bring Siri to Macs for the first time, building on the dictation feature added to Mountain Lion. Rumors have also suggested integration with Apple's Maps, although the company has experienced significant criticisms with its maps app on iOS.

Article Link: OS X 10.9 Activity Ramping Up as Speculation on Developer Preview Release Increases
MacRumors is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 01:20 PM   #2
jav6454
macrumors G5

That was quick.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 04:50 PM   #3
Zwhaler
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav6454 View Post
That was quick.
I don't like this. If they jump to this so quick it should be called 10.7.8
Old Feb 5, 2013, 02:49 PM   #4
MagnusVonMagnum
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav6454 View Post
That was quick.
This rumor bugs me on several levels. I just finally upgraded my Macbook Pro to Mountain Lion last night (skipped Lion entirely) due to concerns about stability and replacing PPC apps, etc. and that cost me $20. Now they're talking about ANOTHER "major" (more like minor lately, IMO) update? I'm sure that will be another $20 and remove support for many more recent Intel machines. This is getting to be too many updates too often. I want STABLE releases, but I also don't want support left out for my machines because developers won't bother for older OS versions many times (very common with apps like Handbrake, for example in the past).

What MAJOR thing could they possibly have accomplished in the past few months that there's a rumor after just TWO Mountain Lion releases???

I think Apple is counting the $20 x 10+ MILLION customers and thinking world cruises plus a new Ferrari for all management level employees every single year from now on or something.
MagnusVonMagnum is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 02:51 PM   #5
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusVonMagnum View Post
This rumor bugs me on several levels. I just finally upgraded my Macbook Pro to Mountain Lion last night (skipped Lion entirely) due to concerns about stability and replacing PPC apps, etc. and that cost me $20. Now they're talking about ANOTHER "major" (more like minor lately, IMO) update? I'm sure that will be another $20 and remove support for many more recent Intel machines. This is getting to be too many updates too often. I want STABLE releases, but I also don't want support left out for my machines because developers won't bother for older OS versions many times (very common with apps like Handbrake, for example in the past).

What MAJOR thing could they possibly have accomplished in the past few months that there's a rumor after just TWO Mountain Lion releases???

I think Apple is counting the $20 x 10+ MILLION customers and thinking world cruises plus a new Ferrari for all management level employees every single year from now on or something.
How is once a year "too often" ? Windows is the same way.
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 02:59 PM   #6
MagnusVonMagnum
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
How is once a year "too often" ? Windows is the same way.
Bologna. Windows 8 was launched over 3 years after Windows7. Windows7 came out about 2.5 years after Windows Vista and Vista came out over 6 years after Windows XP. I don't see even a single example of a ONE year update interval.

As for why, I would say Snow Leopard wasn't even working right and/or stable compared to regular Leopard until at least 10.6.4 if not 10.6.6. I waited almost a year to update for that reason. I didn't update to Lion period it was so unstable and wiped out so much software (i.e. all Rosetta PPC emulation). I'm fine with Apple doing point updates, but they're basically turning point updates into major releases and then touting it's only $20 to upgrade when Windows doesn't charge anything for those updates so it's just a marketing gimmick. Worse yet, they're using it as an excuse lately to stop support for older machines each update (probably the real reason it's being accelerated so much).
MagnusVonMagnum is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 05:00 PM   #7
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusVonMagnum View Post
Bologna. Windows 8 was launched over 3 years after Windows7. Windows7 came out about 2.5 years after Windows Vista and Vista came out over 6 years after Windows XP. I don't see even a single example of a ONE year update interval.

As for why, I would say Snow Leopard wasn't even working right and/or stable compared to regular Leopard until at least 10.6.4 if not 10.6.6. I waited almost a year to update for that reason. I didn't update to Lion period it was so unstable and wiped out so much software (i.e. all Rosetta PPC emulation). I'm fine with Apple doing point updates, but they're basically turning point updates into major releases and then touting it's only $20 to upgrade when Windows doesn't charge anything for those updates so it's just a marketing gimmick. Worse yet, they're using it as an excuse lately to stop support for older machines each update (probably the real reason it's being accelerated so much).

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Win...onn,19382.html
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 01:22 PM   #8
Twimfy
macrumors 6502a

I've seen tweets from a few Dev's I follow that lead me to believe that there are a handful of people out there who already have some sort of 10.9 build.
Twimfy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 01:24 PM   #9
tommy060289
macrumors regular

looking forward to seeing what new features they will bring. Although I think computers and phones/tablets are at a point at the moment where there is little extra to add so the revolution everyone is always expecting rarely turns up. New features are always nice though.

Look forward to it
tommy060289 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 07:12 AM   #10
danielsutton
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy060289 View Post
looking forward to seeing what new features they will bring. Although I think computers and phones/tablets are at a point at the moment where there is little extra to add so the revolution everyone is always expecting rarely turns up. New features are always nice though.

Look forward to it
I second you here, I agree that there are few iOS features left to be ported to OS X. Siri and the Maps app are two examples of features that will likely end up in 10.9. So now, I hope Apple takes this opportunity to fine-tune the OS so that it can be lighter and faster.
danielsutton is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 07:13 AM   #11
cgc
macrumors 6502a

Which Mac models will be excluded and unable to run OSX 10.9?
Old Feb 5, 2013, 07:24 AM   #12
Felix01
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgc View Post
Which Mac models will be excluded and unable to run OSX 10.9?

I had the same question a mere two posts above yours.

The following Low End Mac article makes the case that any Mac running Mountain Lion will also run OS 10.9.

http://lowendmac.com/ed/royal/12sr/o...eculation.html

Last edited by Felix01; Feb 5, 2013 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Spelling error
Felix01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 07:19 AM   #13
benwiggy
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsutton View Post
So now, I hope Apple takes this opportunity to fine-tune the OS so that it can be lighter and faster.
OS X is hardly a chubby tortoise.
I would rather that they stop removing things from the OS and mend all the bits that are still broken since Lion.
benwiggy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 07:21 AM   #14
gnasher729
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsutton View Post
I second you here, I agree that there are few iOS features left to be ported to OS X. Siri and the Maps app are two examples of features that will likely end up in 10.9. So now, I hope Apple takes this opportunity to fine-tune the OS so that it can be lighter and faster.
There is one very, very big iOS feature missing: The ability to run iOS applications.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:39 AM   #15
arkmannj
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to arkmannj
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
There is one very, very big iOS feature missing: The ability to run iOS applications.
This... and iBooks (which for me personally is an even bigger deal)
arkmannj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:38 AM   #16
danielsutton
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
I have read some speculation that at some point, Apple might create a version of OS X that will run both on Mac machines and iOS devices, which would likely replace iOS. This is an interesting concept...
danielsutton is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 11:56 PM   #17
eco7777
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy060289 View Post

Look forward to it
working right would be a nice feature and not this POS ML is.
eco7777 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 01:24 PM   #18
GenesisST
macrumors 65816

in before the "in before somebody speculates on a cat name".. oh wait...
Old Feb 4, 2013, 01:25 PM   #19
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Sweet. I'm excited. :3
Old Feb 4, 2013, 01:25 PM   #20
AnonMac50
macrumors 65816

Windows 8 already has a Maps app, so it's not too weird for OS X to have it.
AnonMac50 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 01:36 PM   #21
adildacoolset
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonMac50 View Post
It's just too weird for a computer to have a maps app.

What apple should really do is just put google maps back into iOS. If they can't donthat, then at least they should open up a web version of apple maps and something like Google Map Maker. I think that they'd hopefully be at least decent.
Last edited by adildacoolset; Tomorrow at 09:42 AM. Reason: grammar error
adildacoolset is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 02:44 PM   #22
Kaibelf
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by adildacoolset View Post

What apple should really do is just put google maps back into iOS. If they can't donthat, then at least they should open up a web version of apple maps and something like Google Map Maker. I think that they'd hopefully be at least decent.
...... really? You REALLY know THAT little about the situation?
Kaibelf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 09:47 PM   #23
jackfungi
macrumors newbie

Have you been living under a rock?

You are aware that there is a beautiful Google Maps app written in native Cocoa for the iPhone, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adildacoolset View Post

jackfungi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 02:53 PM   #24
pmz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonMac50 View Post
Except OS X Maps will allow you to map a route from your Mac and automatically send the directions to your iPhone/iPad, so that Navigation begins when you head out.
pmz is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 02:56 PM   #25
AnonMac50
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post
Except OS X Maps will allow you to map a route from your Mac and automatically send the directions to your iPhone/iPad, so that Navigation begins when you head out.
That would be nice to have.
AnonMac50 is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion