Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zblaxberg

Original poster
Jan 22, 2007
So yesterday I was messing around on my mbp and I don't quite understand what a vpn is or what it does but anyway I went to fool around with it and now the vpn icon is in the top right corner next to the bluetooth icon...Is there a way to remove it or should i just not worry about it and leave it there. There isn't a vpn set up or anything, it's not configured and it says vpn:idle...the only option it gives me is open internet connect. Any ideas? Should I configure a vpn (considering i'm going into college)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
God, that's a random jumble of thoughts. Let's start with removing it from the menubar. Hold the Apple / Command key (the one directly on either side of the spacebar), and click and drag it off the menu bar. Then let go of the mouse button.

zblaxberg

Original poster
Jan 22, 2007
God, that's a random jumble of thoughts. Let's start with removing it from the menubar. Hold the Apple / Command key (the one directly on either side of the spacebar), and click and drag it off the menu bar. Then let go of the mouse button.

that worked...now the question is do i really need a vpn...and what would be a reason why I would need it

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Come on, alwasy nice to be educated!

VPN (Virtual Private Network) enables you to log into another network.
If, for instance, you're working at home, but need a file of a server that is on the network at your office.
For security reasons you probably cannot reach that server directly, so first of all you set up a VPN connection to the office network, and then you connect to the server to get your needed file.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.