Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andrew07

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 25, 2007
Can this be done? We're going to be switching to Comcast in our new apartment and I think I might spring for their DVR service. So is there anyway to get these recorded shows onto my iPod?

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Can this be done? We're going to be switching to Comcast in our new apartment and I think I might spring for their DVR service. So is there anyway to get these recorded shows onto my iPod?

This may not be the only way, but I'm pretty sure that it will work.

You will need a DVR/STB that has an active Firewire port. The Mac that you use will need to have the SDK installed and VirtualDVHS.

Basically, you use your Mac to emulate a D-VHS deck and record what is being played by the DVR. From there, you'll need to convert the recorded stream to something the iPod can handle.

It's pretty time consuming since the capture happens in real-time. The conversion time depends on how quick your Mac is.

There's lots of information on how to use a Mac as a D-VHS deck.

ft

sonictonic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2006
San Jose, California
This may not be the only way, but I'm pretty sure that it will work.

You will need a DVR/STB that has an active Firewire port. The Mac that you use will need to have the SDK installed and VirtualDVHS.

Basically, you use your Mac to emulate a D-VHS deck and record what is being played by the DVR. From there, you'll need to convert the recorded stream to something the iPod can handle.

It's pretty time consuming since the capture happens in real-time. The conversion time depends on how quick your Mac is.

There's lots of information on how to use a Mac as a D-VHS deck.

ft

Any link or easy to follow walkthrough you can reference for us?

I too am interested in this. Very much! But some of what you wrote is a little over my head. :eek:

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Ok, assuming your DVR has an active DVR port, you do this.

1) Use iRecord to record the DVR feed onto your hard drive

2) Use MPEG Streamslip to convert this

3) Import into iMovie, edit to remove commercials

4) Export into appropriate format.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.