Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coachingguy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
I've been really considering taking the plunge into .Mac but am torn, is it worth the $99? How many of you use all of the features it offers? Is the 10gig an issue for anyone?

I'll be hosting a personal site for pictures and other misc. and also another page for work. I've got iLife '08.

How easy is the sync to set up. I've got a laptop and an iMac, my calendars are very important to me and I've been using google calendar - but I find some things don't post there from iCal, it would be nice to have both of my computers automatically.

Anyways, whattya think? take the plunge? I've read a lot of reviews that say the cost should be half of what it is, I don't want to get two months into it and go "D'oh!"

Thanks

Coachingguy

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
I think there is still a free trial of .Mac- although you don't get all of the benefits, you get some to try.

I use it for almost everything they offer...backup, synced iCal, synced bookmards, synced address book between three computers!! I post movies and pics, I use iWeb to make and post web pages with that stuff, the mail is absolutely reliable for me now. My first two years on .Mac were not so reliable, but for the last 12 months been perfect.

Please do a search in the MacRumors fourms for .Mac- you will find dozens of threads with this exact same topic so you can get people's feelings about it. Note- that the biggest complaint against it WAS storage space, which they have recently upgraded.

The other big complaint is that people said it was overpriced (that you could get almost everything it offers for about half the price.) While that may be true, you can't get all of this in one place...easy to use, and works seemlessly like .Mac. If you try to "do it yourself" you are dealing with many different things, pieces of software, and have to have more knowledge than most people have about computers. I don't get ads with .mac email, Apple is not reading my email so they can target ads to me like some free email companies. (at least I don't think they are reading them ;) )

As far as the syncing thing goes- it is really easy and accurate. My wife and I sync three comptuers and two palms and have 12 different iCal calendars set up.

So in summary- I use .Mac because it is easy and all in one place and provides me with great benefits. You can usually get .Mac chaper on Amazon or even eBay from what I hear.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
FWIW, if you're interested in it after your free trial, you can get it for $78 at Amazon.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.