Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

homeshire

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Ohio, looking toward Germany
i have an older g4 ibook which is in need of a reinstall. unfortunately, the optical drive has long since crapped out. my question is simply this. could i connect that ibook to my g5 imac via fw target disk mode; insert panther/tiger install disc (haven't decided which yet) in the g5; wipe and install the ibook in this manner?

i'm pretty sure i have read that this is doable. don't want to find out the hard way that i'm mistaken. :confused:

thanks

JNB

macrumors 604
Yup.

Shut both machines down, connect via FW, restart the iBook, the restart the iMac holding down the "t" key; the G5 is the one you want in Target Disk mode, that (and its optical drive) will be seen as mounted volumes on the iBook.

homeshire

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Ohio, looking toward Germany
Yup.

Shut both machines down, connect via FW, restart the iBook, the restart the iMac holding down the "t" key; the G5 is the one you want in Target Disk mode, that (and its optical drive) will be seen as mounted volumes on the iBook.

great. thanks for responding. especially since i would have thought that i would need to have turned the order around, having the ibook in fw mode.

surely would have confused myself on that one.

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
If you've got at least 512mb of ram, you can definitely do Tiger. I had it on a g3 800mhz 640mb, and it ran well enough. Since you've got a g4, it'll do as long as you've got sufficient memory. The main reason to upgrade past Panther is because the majority of software out there is 10.4 or later; if not for that, I'd have stayed with Panther myself. But if you don't need the newest software (or Spotlight/Dashboard), P will do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.