Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Luftwaffles

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 25, 2008
Kansas City, MO
So, here's the gist of things... I've got an iMac G3, 233Mhz, 128MB RAM, 6GB hard drive. It's currently taking up a monitor-sized spot on my desk and is running OS9. Now, call me nostalgic but I really can't push myself to just throw it out. I'd like to find some kind of use for it if possible.

It was under my desk serving as an impromptu ottoman before I reinstalled OS9, and it may soon serve as a boat anchor if I don't find a good use for it. It's too rickety and unstable to give to charity, and whenever I get bored I'll find myself tearing it apart and building it back up again.

What would you do with it?

JG271

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2007
UK
You could put panther or tiger (if that is possible) on it and use it as a wireless router, an itunes library server or hook some external hard drives up to it and use it as a wireless/networked hard drive unit.

I don't know really, amazing to think those things cost thousands new!

Kleivonen

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2008
You could put panther or tiger (if that is possible) on it and use it as a wireless router, an itunes library server or hook some external hard drives up to it and use it as a wireless/networked hard drive unit.

I don't know really, amazing to think those things cost thousands new!

Everyone loves a good footrest.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
This is still my favorite use-for-an-old-iMac picture, for this week at least. :)

funny-pictures-cat-spleeps-in-imac.jpg

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
This is still my favorite use-for-an-old-iMac picture, for this week at least. :)

funny-pictures-cat-spleeps-in-imac.jpg

let me be the first to say awwwwwww....... but seriously, the OP can always upgrade the hard drive and ram and install panther (tiger might be pushing it)

Luftwaffles

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 25, 2008
Kansas City, MO
A small update:

I may just have to stick with the footrest option!

Out of pure geekish curiosity, I installed Gentoo. Well, not really "installed".. more like "am installing". I'm four hours in, the kernel has been compiling for 3 of those hours, and it's painfully hilarious to watch.

Ever seen a Toyota Tercel pull a 60' yacht? Yeah... the Little iMac That Could is hanging in there, but I might just euthanize it before it melts!

Macman756

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Well I still have my first mac, A green iMac G3 266Mhz Tray-load. Its in the attic not being used, but I'm glad I have it. As for yours, maybe a 60GB HD and some tunes?

LordOfTheMacs

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2008
New Jersey
There are three things I can see you doing with that
Turn it into an iMac aquarium
Get it running 10.2.8 or earlier
Give it to a kid that can stiil use it

AC773

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2006
If you do get rid of it, make sure it gets properly recycled! There are plenty of harmful pollutants in there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.