Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JesseJames

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Well, I just bought Norton Utilities 8.0 and I'm damn disappointed. Again.
I resent the fact that I have to buy these programs when they should be included with the computer.
Is TechTool Pro 4 any better than Norton's? I used them when I was on OS 9 and they were okay.

Norton's just seems to miss things. I diagnose and repair disk one day then do it again and it still finds major errors. Even if I'd hardly done anything on the computer between time.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I like the way my Norton Utilities 8.0 functions. Just ran it last Sunday after doing several installations. It found major and minor errors, which were fixed. Then I run it a second time, with no errors found. So far I haven't updated to Tech Tools Pro 4. It always seemed that they would each find different problems. At least it kept my OS 9 humming along.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
I have horror stories about Norton Products... and inconviences...

Like the fact that i can't uninstall mine... :confused:

Ah damn.

It also seems this thread is a bit misplaced....

:eek:

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
Re: Best Mac Utility App???

Originally posted by JesseJames
Well, I just bought Norton Utilities 8.0 and I'm damn disappointed. Again.
I resent the fact that I have to buy these programs when they should be included with the computer.
I take the other side of that argument. Look at the wealth of utilities included with OS X. Among all that stuff you don't see any hard core disk utilities. I think that's a hint that you don't need them.

Most Mac users (in the general population, not on message boards) don't use any utilities and don't have any problems. They don't even repair permissions. I don't think anything "should" be included that isn't there already.

Wait until you have a problem that Disk Utility or fsck can't fix, which will likely never happen, and then buy Tech Tool or something like that.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Originally posted by wdlove
I like the way my Norton Utilities 8.0 functions. Just ran it last Sunday after doing several installations. It found major and minor errors, which were fixed. Then I run it a second time, with no errors found. So far I haven't updated to Tech Tools Pro 4. It always seemed that they would each find different problems. At least it kept my OS 9 humming along.

Ah, but remember that OS 9 was a completely different beast. OS X may have a similar GUI goodness, but it has almost nothing in common with OS 9 down at the level where it matters. It's a complete rewrite.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
IMOP there isn't any software that you could download for free that norton does. since you have unix at your command with os x, basically you are pretty much covered.

MillieWales

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2003
UK
I had noting but touble with my PB when Norton was installed on it. System would crash, long long boot times, freezes for several minutes and loads more rubbish. When I finally managed to delete it all, I have had a very stable system ever since. As others have said, if it was really needed, it would be on here already.

Marc

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.