Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kinkster

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2008
I have an iPhone and I often need to use it's data connection for my computer. Tethering is okay but i'd rather use my sim card directly with my computer.

I know some laptops have sim card trays built in, so is there any way to get this on a computer that didn't come with it?

kinkster

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2008
I'v got an Air so something USB would be optimal. A friend of mine is also interested in this, and he's got an express card slot I believe.

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
For the Macbook Air you cant make the Sim Card built in, but you can use something such as this:

huawei_e220_3_mobile_dongle-223x300.jpg

You can get them for about $10
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huawei

bkarabel

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2007
You simply can`t use your iphone sim card with a computer period. It won`t work.
If your iphone is jail broken ( which i assume is ) you can use pdanet for "free" internet on your laptop or desktop. Actually it is pretty fast via airport connection depending on your 3g coverage in your area.
Keep in mind at&t does not allow it in their eula or in their terms of operation.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
What kind of computer? It is physically possible for an ExpressCard/34 SIM tray to exist, but I know of none.

I know that this one exists but it's EVDO so not quite what the OP needs. Somebody must make a UMTS version though...

Edit: I should look around on the same site next time. There's an HSPA model, although it might be a bit tricky to find as it's reached its end of life.

KandyKane

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Australia
You can get UMTS850 cards from Australia (Telstra Network). The new sierra card we have at work runs up to 21mbps (usb), can't remember if they were locked or not though...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.