Use sim card with computer

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kinkster, Apr 23, 2009.

1. macrumors 6502a

I have an iPhone and I often need to use it's data connection for my computer. Tethering is okay but i'd rather use my sim card directly with my computer.

I know some laptops have sim card trays built in, so is there any way to get this on a computer that didn't come with it?

2. macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

What kind of computer? It is physically possible for an ExpressCard/34 SIM tray to exist, but I know of none.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'v got an Air so something USB would be optimal. A friend of mine is also interested in this, and he's got an express card slot I believe.

4. macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

5. macrumors member

You simply can`t use your iphone sim card with a computer period. It won`t work.
    If your iphone is jail broken ( which i assume is ) you can use pdanet for "free" internet on your laptop or desktop. Actually it is pretty fast via airport connection depending on your 3g coverage in your area.
    Keep in mind at&t does not allow it in their eula or in their terms of operation.

6. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I know that this one exists but it's EVDO so not quite what the OP needs. Somebody must make a UMTS version though...

Edit: I should look around on the same site next time. There's an HSPA model, although it might be a bit tricky to find as it's reached its end of life.

7. macrumors 6502

You can get UMTS850 cards from Australia (Telstra Network). The new sierra card we have at work runs up to 21mbps (usb), can't remember if they were locked or not though...

8. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. Would those be unlocked and work with any sim?

9. macrumors 65816

Pixellated

Well, if you buy an unlocked one (I.E. not from a mobile provider) then yes. :)

10. macrumors Core

alphaod

That looks like a cell with flagella. :p

11. macrumors 604