Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple-Geek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2009
My friend might sell me his emac for 30 bucks! I was wondering if it is possible to run 10.4 on it.

Thanks, :apple:-geek

rjphoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2005
just max out the RAM. That may cost more than the eMac...

I'm running 10.5.6 on a 1.25ghz with 1Gb of RAM.

Dino1956

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2009
I have the same eMac & if you use a Program called "Leopard Assist", you can even put Leopard On it. Of course you need to Max out the Ram to 1GB. That is my exact eMac setup. But I think Tiger ran a little faster than Leopard.

Patmn

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2009
Mississauga, ON
I have the same eMac & if you use a Program called "Leopard Assist", you can even put Leopard On it. Of course you need to Max out the Ram to 1GB. That is my exact eMac setup. But I think Tiger ran a little faster than Leopard.

I'm running Leopard on my 1.25 GHz eMac, with only 512 MB of ram and it works well (faster than Panther for sure) and I didn't need to run anything called "Leopard Assist" at all.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I'm running Leopard on my 1.25 GHz eMac, with only 512 MB of ram and it works well (faster than Panther for sure) and I didn't need to run anything called "Leopard Assist" at all.

The system requirements for Leopard call for a G4 at 867MHz or faster, which is why you would not need Leopard Assist, and someone with a 700MHz eMac would....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X_Leopard#System_requirements
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3759

I personally would go for Tiger if you can get more than 640MB of memory (I was not happy with Tiger at 640, but at 1.125GB it was ace), or perhaps Leopard if you can get above 1GB. But everyone varies. Some people are happy running Leopard on 512MB, clearly, and more power to them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.