Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
I recently sold my iMac G4 (17" 1GHz 768MB RAM 80GB SuperDrive) and purchased an iMac G5 (17" 1.8GHz 512MB RAM 250GB SuperDrive).
When I upgraded to iLife '04 (on my G4 iMac) I quickly learned that I still needed iDVD 3 in order to be able to use iDVD the way I wanted to. With my G4 iMac, anything encoded with Best Quality (to get over 1 hour on the DVD) would take so long (I'm talking cancelling the process after 10 hours or so) that I had to quit the process and was never able to burn a DVD over an hour. So I installed iDVD 3 back on there so that I could burn simple DVD's (I always burn more than an hour per disk).
I did my first test with the iMac G5 last night (Everything is up to date via the software update):
iDVD 4.0.1
iMovie 4.0.1
Best Quality
DVD Capacity 3.5GB out of 4GB
Motion Menus 12 minutes
Tracks 15
Menus 4
Slideshows 1 (7 1/2 minutes)
Credits 3 seperate iMovie credits of 2 1/2 minutes each
There is a little less than 90 minutes of movies on here + the 12 minutes of motion menus. All menus and movies have a song from iTunes to accompany it.

After finishing my iDVD project I saved it. I then proceeded to click burn (with much worry as I was never able to complete this on my iMac G4). The entire process from clicking burn to encoding to finishing the burn took less than 3 hours.........to finish! That's a SUPER improvement over the iMac G4 that I had. All rendering in iMovie seemed a lot snappier also and the exporting in Full DV Quality out of iMovie was definitely faster.
Just thought I'd pass along my iLife '04/iMac G5 observations thus far.

JOD8FY

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
United States
That's great news. Glad to hear it. Congratulations on your new machine and good luck with those movies!

Best wishes,
JOD8FY

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
That is good news. It takes me at least as long on my PM to do that process as it did you on your iMac G4. I am glad to see that the G5 improves things considerably on your new machine. Enjoy :)

Whigga Spitta

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2004
Can you say Chi-City??
I'm glad to hear that. I was playing around with an iMac G5 at my school's bookstore yesterday and it struck me as deathly slow (by that I mean nearly the same speed as my Powerbook). Really all I could do to test it was use Garageband...why do iMacs only ship with 256 RAM? That's hardly enough to power iLife...but a great looking machine nonetheless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.