Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yizi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 22, 2008
UK
How do I remove the adobe updater from the top bar, check the screenshot

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-06-03 at 17.36.11.png
    Screen shot 2010-06-03 at 17.36.11.png
    11.8 KB · Views: 52,931

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Already tried that, it doesn't work with adobe, thanks anyway.

Just one more reason why Adobe is ridiculous, poorly-designed bloatware! Maybe something in a .plist file you could remove or change?

Yizi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 22, 2008
UK
Just one more reason why Adobe is ridiculous, poorly-designed bloatware! Maybe something in a .plist file you could remove or change?

I'm stilling trying to figure out how to get it off, but if anyone else already done it holla.

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
As a side note that's likely obvious—if you run the updater it goes away too.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Just one more reason why Adobe is ridiculous, poorly-designed bloatware!

It's not Adobe's fault. Apple doesn't let third-party developers publicly make their applications moveable by drag and drop in the menu bar. In order to do that, apps must use hacks to get it to work. The reason (most likely) is menu items that are draggable are implemented as plugins that get loaded by the SystemUIServer process, so if that plugin crashes it brings down the entire process which controls all the other plugins.

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
I removed it from the bar. I suppose that the program is still somewhere in the hard drive. How do I remove it completely? Thanks.

Nov 28, 2010
located
I removed it from the bar. I suppose that the program is still somewhere in the hard drive. How do I remove it completely? Thanks.

By uninstalling Adobe products.

To manually remove an application and all associated files:
  1. Launch Finder and search for the app name (hopefully unique, such as Skype)
  2. You can narrow the search to specific folders or search your whole Mac
  3. Searching "File Name" vs "Contents" usually provides better results.
  4. Click the + button below the search term to add criteria
  5. Click the "Album" drop-down and select "System files"
  6. Click the "Don't include" and change to "include"
  7. Sort by name, kind, date, etc. to identify components of the app, such as folders, .plist files, cache files. etc.
  8. Delete all files and folders related to the app.
  9. Don't empty your Trash until you've determined that everything is working OK, in case you need to restore something you deleted by accident.
  10. A reboot might be necessary to completely remove some apps.
attachment.php

from Best way to FULLY DELETE a program?

CareyAdobe

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2011
The presence of this icon indicates that there are updates available to install for your CS5 or CS5.5 software.
It really should not be an annoyance, since it is recommended to have updates installed anyway.

If you click on it and choose Open Updater, the Adobe Application Manager should appear and tell you which updates are available. After you install all of these updates, the icon should disappear until there is a new update available for the Adobe software you have installed.

However, if you prefer to disable the automatic check for updates, feel free to disable the notification.
To check for updates manually (highly recommended), do one of the following:

- Open your Adobe software and choose Help > Updates.

- Go to http://adobe.com/go/updates to download and install the latest updates for each Adobe application you have installed.

sarcasmatron

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2011
It really should not be an annoyance, since it is recommended to have updates installed anyway.

Alternatively, I shouldn't have to pay hundreds of dollars for the privilege of having to go to Mac Rumors to get an incomplete answer to my question.

I assume you work for Adobe since you have the company name in your member name. Please have a talk with your Product Management staff about not installing 75MB of unneccesary garbage on my computer without an easy way to uninstall said garbage.

When you are finished with them, please talk to your Technical Support staff about the correct installation and troubleshooting of AAM - see http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63559 for an example of what I'm talking about.

Finally, please talk to your Engineering staff about possibly implementing this as a prefPane. Barring that, maybe they can put a 3rd checkbox in the AAM Preferences so that we can uncheck "show in Menu Bar" - hundreds of far less expensive applications are able to do this without any problem, so I assume Adobe can get around to it at some point.

To answer the question:

AAM installs in /Library/Application\ Support/Adobe/OOBE/PDApp/core

You can delete the entire OOBE (Out Of the Box Experience*) directory once you've installed everything - per the above referenced link you may want to, due to potential conflicts when updating. You will have to go into Activity Monitor and force quit a process with AAM in the name - I can't remember what it's called.

I was able to launch all of my CS 5.0 applications without issue once this was deleted. I also freed up some drive space, RAM, and processor cycles.

* OOBE is a Windows-centric acronym for software installed electronically. Interesting, if not suprising, that Adobe chose the same acronym as Microsoft.

Reactions: rishisisodia

tuqqer

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2005
Boulder, CO
spinnerlys, a full year and a half later, and your solution is still gold for those searching for the answer.

Many thanks!

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
spinnerlys, a full year and a half later, and your solution is still gold for those searching for the answer.

Many thanks!

I just installed Creative Cloud/CS6 and I want that menu icon gone too! I don’t have the time or the nerves of steel to install updates the moment they come out, and I don’t have the UI space to waste either. (Why not just notify me on launching an outdated app, with a “Don’t show again” checkmark? Pretty standard, I’d have thought.)

But AAM preferences has no preferences window like the one depicted above. No “Notify me...” option. All it has under Preferences is choice of install location, set to Default. See attached. (Why would an update to something already installed have a choice of install location anyway?)

I’m not quite ready to start deleting Adobe files wholesale, tempting as it is—I just want to turn off that Notify option.

Any thought on how I might get to the “real” AAM Preferences window shown above?

TIA!

(PS I love how AAM doesn’t list the size of updates. Judging by the snail’s speed of them, I bet they’re not deltas...)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-12-24 at 1.27.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-24 at 1.27.43 AM.png
    32.7 KB · Views: 917

IndyDurango

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2010
I just installed Creative Cloud/CS6 and I want that menu icon gone too! I don’t have the time or the nerves of steel to install updates the moment they come out, and I don’t have the UI space to waste either. (Why not just notify me on launching an outdated app, with a “Don’t show again” checkmark? Pretty standard, I’d have thought.)

But AAM preferences has no preferences window like the one depicted above. No “Notify me...” option. All it has under Preferences is choice of install location, set to Default. See attached. (Why would an update to something already installed have a choice of install location anyway?)

I’m not quite ready to start deleting Adobe files wholesale, tempting as it is—I just want to turn off that Notify option.

Any thought on how I might get to the “real” AAM Preferences window shown above?

TIA!

(PS I love how AAM doesn’t list the size of updates. Judging by the snail’s speed of them, I bet they’re not deltas...)

Same here.

Found the solution.

Log OUT of your Adobe account, then open the manager and it looks all different. You will see the uncheck boxes on the right.

HTH,

IndyD

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Same here.

Found the solution.

Log OUT of your Adobe account, then open the manager and it looks all different. You will see the uncheck boxes on the right.

HTH,

IndyD

Awesome--thanks!

(And it's another example of sheer insanity from Adobe. Their installers and updaters are crimes against humanity, and getting worse every year! How come even my piracy-protected software from other companies manages to be relatively painless, Mac-like, and comprehensible? Why can't Adobe, with all their resources and all their years of trying, do better? I remember when I considered them the gold standard for the best software. Once upon a time.)

OnMacSince1984

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2013
Awesome--thanks!

(And it's another example of sheer insanity from Adobe. Their installers and updaters are crimes against humanity, and getting worse every year! How come even my piracy-protected software from other companies manages to be relatively painless, Mac-like, and comprehensible? Why can't Adobe, with all their resources and all their years of trying, do better? I remember when I considered them the gold standard for the best software. Once upon a time.)

Yes, thanks a million, IndyDurango. I could have easily lost my mind without your solution.

I couldn't agree more about Adobe's descent into the pits of crapware hell. Seems like every update now requires hours of decoding the anti-logic built into it. They've been progressively worse since Adobe acquired Omniture, the king of unintuitive software design. I guess the inmates are running the asylum now.

smoothlikejazz

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2013
Alternate way of removing stubborn Adobe Account Manager

I had 7 icons at one time in the menu bar and was unable to easily remove them. Simply selecting on "Open Updater" and locating Preferences option was non-existent :mad: . So what to Do!!!

I found what was successful for me was to open the Activity Monitor and search for the process under All Process named "AAM Updates Notifier" and Kill it (Force Quit).

Result: Icons were removed from my menu bar :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-03-21 at 5.43.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-03-21 at 5.43.31 PM.png
    50.9 KB · Views: 675
  • Screen Shot 2013-03-21 at 5.45.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-03-21 at 5.45.25 PM.png
    12.3 KB · Views: 29,973

inkhead

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2005
PLEASE help. It didn't work for me. I have CS6 Updater Menuitem and CREATIVE CLOUD menu item. The old menu just opens creative cloud which obviously has no option to turn it off…

I cannot get to the OLD updater software even when running it from the finder. I went to Creative Cloud Menu, settings, and clicked SIGN OUT… Then I clicked to quit the creative cloud menu… Next I go to Adobe CS 6 Update Menu "Open updater" and CREATIVE cloud menu launches…

Please I'm losing my mind!

SOLUTION FOUND (thanks to Adobe employee, sigh)
Workaround fix

Choose Help>Updates… from Photoshop. Then choose preferences from the updater.

It will allow you back into the old updater…

Awesome--thanks!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.