Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Aug 13, 2010, 10:00 PM   #1
cforand1293
macrumors regular

Apple Store in Dallas Robbed...Knox Street

I was just in the Apple store in Dallas on Knox street that was robbed. Had my family in the store and all of the sudden alarms started going off and I turned to see guys running out of the store. Walked up front and the took 8 laptops in seconds sorry was iphones not laptops. I took pics of the counter they took them from, all the apple employes came up front, but no one made an attempt to do anything.

Last edited by cforand1293; Aug 13, 2010 at 11:37 PM.
cforand1293 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2010, 10:02 PM   #2
Marat
macrumors newbie

You were there while it was being robbed? Scary! Hope they catch them.
Marat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2010, 10:05 PM   #3
cforand1293
macrumors regular

Yes, we were in the store, I was in the back looking at iphone cases, and my wife in kids were at the next table checking out the macbooks...
Old Aug 13, 2010, 10:18 PM   #4
acfusion29
Banned

Send a message via AIM to acfusion29
Quote:
Originally Posted by cforand1293 View Post
I was just in the Apple store in Dallas on Knox street that was robbed. Had my family in the store and all of the sudden alarms started going off and I turned to see guys running out of the store. Walked up front and the took 8 laptops in seconds. I took pics of the counter they took them from, all the apple employes came up front, but no one made an attempt to do anything.
that's cause they're not allowed, and they risk losing their job (and no, i mean you will get fired probably, not that you'll be dead).

you're not supposed to chase a thief anywhere. let them run, don't try to be a hero.
acfusion29 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2010, 10:19 PM   #5
tflournoy95
macrumors 6502

holy crap thats crazy. you would think they would have them tied down or sumthin
Old Aug 13, 2010, 10:20 PM   #6
cforand1293
macrumors regular

Yeah i agree, just stating the facts. I am sure they have video footage of the whole thing.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 10:25 PM   #7
ouimetnick
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to ouimetnick Send a message via Yahoo to ouimetnick Send a message via Skype™ to ouimetnick
Quote:
Originally Posted by acfusion29 View Post
that's cause they're not allowed, and they risk losing their job (and no, i mean you will get fired probably, not that you'll be dead).

you're not supposed to chase a thief anywhere. let them run, don't try to be a hero.
Is that an Apple Policy or a law?
Old Aug 13, 2010, 10:25 PM   #8
acfusion29
Banned

Quote:
Yeah i agree, just stating the facts. I am sure they have video footage of the whole thing.
for sure.

glad that your family is safe though
Old Aug 13, 2010, 10:26 PM   #9
karohan
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Wait, is that really true? Why would you risk losing your job over trying to do anything? Is it because Apple doesn't want to be held liable for anything that may happen to said person (even though they don't require the person to do anything, which would make it harder to hold them liable)?
karohan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2010, 10:27 PM   #10
miles01110
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouimetnick View Post
It's common sense. There are professionals collectively called "law enforcement" that catch criminals.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 10:31 PM   #11
karohan
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles01110 View Post
It's common sense. There are professionals collectively called "law enforcement" that catch criminals.
Doesn't mean it should be illegal to help, it's just highly unrecommended. It's not exactly like a medical situation where an authorized person attempting to "help" can actually do more harm than good.
karohan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2010, 10:36 PM   #12
iLog.Genius
macrumors 68040

Quote:
It's Apple's policy and it's for the safety of the employees and whoever might be at there. I'm not sure if there are any security there but that's the reason why Apple stores now have hired security - they didn't have it before but there have been theft with the popularity of Apple's products.
iLog.Genius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2010, 10:54 PM   #13
Wehrwolf
macrumors 6502

This is pretty much SOP in most corporate type retail outlets, IME.

We had an incident at a local Whole Foods grocery store not too long ago where an employee chased a shoplifter (who took about $400 worth of food) and tackled him out in the parking lot, detaining him until police arrived. The shoplifter was arrested, the employee was fired. Line from corporate was that company policy prohibited any employee from touching or laying hands on any customer in the store, even when the 'customer' was a thief.

Corporate does not want to be held liable for anything. The merchandise in almost all cases is insured against theft. The cost of a potential lawsuit from a shoplifter accusing an employee of assaulting/injuring/manhandling/whatever them would be far more expensive than an increase in insurance premiums to cover the theft.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 10:56 PM   #14
snberk103
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by karohan View Post
Doesn't mean it should be illegal to help, it's just highly unrecommended. It's not exactly like a medical situation where an authorized person attempting to "help" can actually do more harm than good.
Actually, chasing a thief can do more harm. The thief may push a passerby down in order to get away faster, or to slow down their pursuer. Or if the thief has a weapon they may miss the pursuer and accidentally hurt a passerby.

I agree - in this case the best help anyone in the vicinity can provide is to get a good description, and if possible get the licence plate of the vehicle. Presumably they used a car since carting around 8 laptops on foot would be slightly conspicuous.

The best news is that no one was hurt.

Apple will get their laptops back the first time one goes in for repair, or upgrading, etc.

It would be ironic if the thief needed to call AppleCare, and gave up the serial number.

Update: Coincidentally, the next news feed I read had this story, about a 99 year old man who broke his hip when pushed to the ground by thief. "... Around 6:30 p.m. on Wednesday, the suspect allegedly attempted to steal several DVDs from a Nanaimo Walmart, according to police. The store's loss prevention officer attempted to arrest the suspect, who took off running, pushing the senior over in the process. The senior suffered a broken hip and was taken to hospital by ambulance, where he is now awaiting surgery. ..."
The full story here, in the Vancouver Sun.

Last edited by snberk103; Aug 13, 2010 at 11:13 PM. Reason: News story link added...
snberk103 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2010, 11:04 PM   #15
acfusion29
Banned

Quote:
if you ever worked retail, when you're being trained they should teach you this.

even if you're working security, you aren't supposed to run after them.

the thief could easily lead you to an area where there's no one in sight, and i guess you can fill the rest in.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 11:11 PM   #16
jbrenn
macrumors 6502a

They dont chase because then the company is liable for the employee and the crook. I worked at target and someone chase a crook and the crook got ran over. The crook filed a lawsuit against target and got like $200,000. it did not happen at my store but the entire company had to go to training because of it.
jbrenn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2010, 11:11 PM   #17
cforand1293
macrumors regular

I spoke with a lady who was walking in the time they were running out, she said she saw them run around the back of the building. I agree that no life is worth a computer, but it did seem like very few of the apple employes knew what to do after the event. I am sure that the managers were taking control, but apple is going to have to look into this. These guys made it look simple.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 11:22 PM   #18
pukifloyd
macrumors 6502a

Thats pretty scary! glad they didn't injure anyone...
Old Aug 13, 2010, 11:23 PM   #19
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God

The pictures show empty iPhone tables, FWIW.

The Apple Store I worked at, we almost always had someone standing behind the first table, facing the door. They essentially greeted everyone, although not literally. Sometimes it was just eye contact and a smile or nod. That store had one of the lower shrink rates in the region. Some folks apparently aren't as ballsy to steal after they've "been noticed".
aristobrat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2010, 11:28 PM   #20
cforand1293
macrumors regular

Wow good eye, didnt even see that.. Your right looks like iphones.. My wife and kids were at the next table over and it had macbooks thought they both did. Now that I think about it I think that table had iphones on it. Bad move on the store to have such a small item right by the door. Sorry guys didnt mean to state the wrong product. Just happy to get my family out of the store.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 11:39 PM   #21
DKYang
macrumors newbie

I guess they were trying to beat this record in daylight. Watch the vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-Wj2-3BrNg

Too bad they couldn't. lol.
DKYang is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2010, 11:59 PM   #22
MikeinJapan
macrumors regular

Quote:

They can replace the laptops and phones from the factory but I am pretty sure they don't have a factory making staff. Scary stuff!
MikeinJapan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2010, 12:15 AM   #23
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Sorry guys didnt mean to state the wrong product. Just happy to get my family out of the store.
No worries. I'm just glad you and your family (and everyone else there) weren't hurt!!!
aristobrat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2010, 12:16 AM   #24
DCJ001
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wehrwolf View Post
This is pretty much SOP in most corporate type retail outlets, IME.

We had an incident at a local Whole Foods grocery store not too long ago where an employee chased a shoplifter (who took about $400 worth of food) and tackled him out in the parking lot, detaining him until police arrived. The shoplifter was arrested, the employee was fired. Line from corporate was that company policy prohibited any employee from touching or laying hands on any customer in the store, even when the 'customer' was a thief.

Corporate does not want to be held liable for anything. The merchandise in almost all cases is insured against theft. The cost of a potential lawsuit from a shoplifter accusing an employee of assaulting/injuring/manhandling/whatever them would be far more expensive than an increase in insurance premiums to cover the theft.
Do you see the problem?
DCJ001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2010, 12:27 AM   #25
babyt
macrumors regular

us apple people are DANGEROUS. thuglife!

seriously though how could they have grabbed 8 iphones then truck it out the store and the alarms going off as they are running..?

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro