Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tflournoy95

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
It would have been easy just to stick your foot out and trip that worthless pile of trash while he's running and make him do the faceplant, kick him in the face and keep him on the ground until the cops showed up.
Even if I were a customer I would have tried to at least trip the idiot, seriously hate thieves.

I agree with lavem and tflournoy, once you try to steal you are stripped of rights, if something bad happens to you, who cares? I don't, even if you get killed in the attempt, its really not society's problem.

why dont more people see things this way?

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Wow, is this true you can't stop a thief in America?
Over here (Netherlands) a employee can just stop a thief and take him inside until the police arrives.

Also, by law, anyone can 'arrest' a thief.

Post like this make me really wanna question how old you are? Seriously. It's common sense not to chase anyone outside of a store, especially in the honor of multi-billion dollar corporation. You're not looked at as a hero, you're look at as an insubordinate employee of the company's code of ethics and you will be fired, at least here in america. Any other country that condones employees of chasing thieves is a stupid country and their law is stupid as well. Those countries are not in favor of the safety of employed individuals.

tflournoy95

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
Post like this make me really wanna question how old you are? Seriously. It's common sense not to chase anyone outside of a store, especially in the honor of multi-billion dollar corporation. You're not looked at as a hero, you're look at as an insubordinate employee of the company's code of ethics and you will be fired, at least here in america. Any other country that condones employees of chasing thieves is a stupid country and their law is stupid as well. Those countries are not in favor of the safety of employed individuals.

no those countries are not stupid. they are countries who support people doing things for themselves and not waiting for the police to come help them. those countries are in favor of people not being scared little babies.

and also that post is highly offensive. if you are such a fan of obeying rules perhaps you should practice what you preach by obeying this one "Insults. Direct personal insult of another forum member" thats number one on the instantly bannable offenses list.

https://macrumors.zendesk.com/hc/en-us#Instantly_Bannable_Offenses

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
no those countries are not stupid. they are countries who support people doing things for themselves and not waiting for the police to come help them. those countries are in favor of people not being scared little babies.

and also that post is highly offensive. if you are such a fan of obeying rules perhaps you should practice what you preach by obeying this one "Insults. Direct personal insult of another forum member" thats number one on the instantly bannable offenses list.

https://macrumors.zendesk.com/hc/en-us#Instantly_Bannable_Offenses

I did not insult anyone. If you're referring to what I said about the person's age, that wasn't an insult. I do question someone's age level for condoning chasing thieves and risking safety for a big company. This isn't about not being scared little babies, it's about being an employee and obeying the rules of the company which you are required to do if you want to remain employed.
Just report my post rather than putting me in my place (which is offensive from you as well) if you feel I insulted someone because I didn't. Maybe you haven't read the forum rules where it says not to respond to people if you feel a post is offensive.

sprtnbsblplya

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2004
Arlington, VA
I can see Dans point, it isn't worth the risk to an employee in defense of a huge corporation. True. A corporation should only condone this if, and only if, they are supplying Glocks or tasers to the employees.
But I don't think that a company should do the opposite of condoning this and outright fire someone either.
It seems like when an employee does this they fire them to both set an example that employees shouldn't do this and to partly remove themselves from liability that may arise.
I kinda like the rule across the pond, that if a private citizen chooses to on their own free will, when they see someone doing something unquestionably illegal that they can detain them until authorities arise. I can see that causing problems for a prosecutor in an American court, however.

gianly1985

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2008
hell yeah. now thats common sense, not what that other guy said on page 1.

Everything points to "95" being the birth year.

You should fear a society where you can be judged by "common sense" of random people or where common people think they can be their own police or judge or maybe even executioner.

peace4al

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2010
Texas
Sad

This store is one of the best in Texas. great staff and amazing customer service..
I purchased my MBP form here. Such a sad incident.

thompson11

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2009
I really don't understand how this is even a debate for people. Lives > Money. Period. Apple can make 8 new iPhones in about 3 minutes. They can't replace their staffers, nor can they assuage the sorrow of the family members who just lost their daughter/son/mother/father/etc. who tried to stop the robbery.

Yes, it sucks that these people might just "get away with it." But you know what, no one got hurt. I think that's a pretty good end to the day.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
They also have the EMI numbers of the phones they took. The phones are virtually useless except for parts. They'll just remote brick them. :cool:

First, it's IMEI. Second, you are probably right that they will brick them. It doesn't make sense to me that they would brick it, though. The thieves will obviously not take the iPhones back, even if they don't work. They will just be stuck with a handheld box of precious metals.

On another note, at my apple store, there are no sim eject holes on the sim trays. Also, not every iPhone on display in the Apple store has a SIM card in it.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007

You should fear a society where you can be judged by "common sense" of random people or where common people think they can be their own police or judge or maybe even executioner.

You are very much correct on that conclusion about the number 95, I just checked. :)

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Is that an Apple Policy or a law?

i don't it's the law, but definitely corporate policy.

a lady was fired from wal-mart for trying to stop ppl.

I think they do this for 2 reasons:
1. they don't want their employees getting hurt
2. so much surveillance and 'big eye in the sky' stuff that they can be identified by other means.

longball11

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2009
Whatever happened to America being the Land of opportunity. Trying to catch those thieves was an opportunity to be a hero and get a free iPhone from Apple.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
i don't it's the law, but definitely corporate policy.

a lady was fired from wal-mart for trying to stop ppl.

I think they do this for 2 reasons:
1. they don't want their employees getting hurt
2. so much surveillance and 'big eye in the sky' stuff that they can be identified by other means.

Correct, and there's a couple of other reasons. First, believe it or not the company can be sued by the thief if the employee apprehends the thief or if the thief gets hurt in any way from the employee touching him. Yeah, doesn't make sense right, but that's the law.
Secondly, the company has insurance which protects them from a certain amount of loss or damage and the company can write-off shrinkage at the end of the year so it's no advantage to anyone for an employee to go after anyone stealing.

tflournoy95

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
I did not insult anyone. If you're referring to what I said about the person's age, that wasn't an insult. I do question someone's age level for condoning chasing thieves and risking safety for a big company. This isn't about not being scared little babies, it's about being an employee and obeying the rules of the company which you are required to do if you want to remain employed.
Just report my post rather than putting me in my place (which is offensive from you as well) if you feel I insulted someone because I didn't. Maybe you haven't read the forum rules where it says not to respond to people if you feel a post is offensive.

its very insulting to talk about someones country like that actually. atleast i find it insulting.

so now im stupid because of my age? if thats not what your implying, then why bring it up?

its not trying to play cop or whatever to stop a criminal from making of with a bunch of stuff. its being a good citizen. maybe you should try it.

gianly1985

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2008
so now im stupid because of my age? if thats not what your implying, then why bring it up?

its not trying to play cop or whatever to stop a criminal from making of with a bunch of stuff. its being a good citizen. maybe you should try it.

So if one brings up the age of someone else, it HAS to be about being "stupid"?
It can be about a lot of things, like being a bit superficial about a given topic, being irruent, naive, etc.

About me, "society" has spent a lot of tax money for my high education (all wasted if I died young) and would spend a lot of tax money to cure me should I get hurt, so I will be a good citizen not playing cop but co-operating with law enforcement in proper ways.

Also, you seem to have missed the part about "instant trials" and common people thinking they can be their own police and judges. I mean, somebody in this thread even implied a thief instantly lose all rights and he could also get killed in the chase, who cares. I hope you realize what a load of crap is that, of the scariest kind.

LouiTheFish

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2009
re:

Is that an Apple Policy or a law?

Most major corporations with a retail sector in place opt to say in their employee policy that they not attempt under any circumstances to interfere with robberies, hold-ups, whatever. This is chiefly due to the avoidance of lawsuits, etc. It's not the employee's job to protect the store, and I remember one case at a major retailer (no names or places, but this was all over the news a few years ago) two employees successfully restrained a robber and the crime was stopped in the act. Everyone was fine, there were no injuries but the store still fired them because it was against the policy.

djasterix

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2010
Paradise City
Many retail stores have that same policy, as corporations didn't want people getting hurt for merchandising that can be easily replaced. The question here is why chasing a potential dangerous person when stolen goods are covered by insurance?, you can get hurt, or killed; or your customers, or a passer by. Let the law enforcement do their job and keep safe.

Wehrwolf

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2009

That is offensive. Where do you get off calling other countries that have a different perspective on the rights of their citizens to protect themselves and their property stupid? Seriously. Who do you think you are? :confused: The rest of the world does not necessarily follow America's corporate culture, or "common sense". There are still parts of the world where people have to take their own safety and livelihood in their own hands and may not be able to rely on police or the government, assuming either even exists functionally.

If you don't think folks should have the right to look out for their individual and community safety/well being, who am I to question that. That's your decision. For your sake, I hope the police are able to respond to you in time should you ever need them. But do not try to insinuate that any individual or nation that sees differently is stupid because you don't agree and have a problem with it.

TopHatPlus

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2010
Southern Ontario
in north america you can make a citizens arrest, but how many people are in shape and able to do something, putting your foot out is not always enough >_< i work out several hours a week so i would definitely body check the guy with a quick 1 2 and rope him to ceiling (like spiderman)

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
Our legal system is pretty messed up if you can't even chase after thieves stealing company property due to fear of lawsuits. It makes me pretty sad. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.