Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cforand1293

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2006
I was just in the Apple store in Dallas on Knox street that was robbed. Had my family in the store and all of the sudden alarms started going off and I turned to see guys running out of the store. Walked up front and the took 8 laptops in seconds sorry was iphones not laptops. I took pics of the counter they took them from, all the apple employes came up front, but no one made an attempt to do anything.
photo1-2.jpg

photo2-6.jpg

photo3-5.jpg

cforand1293

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2006
Yes, we were in the store, I was in the back looking at iphone cases, and my wife in kids were at the next table checking out the macbooks...

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
I was just in the Apple store in Dallas on Knox street that was robbed. Had my family in the store and all of the sudden alarms started going off and I turned to see guys running out of the store. Walked up front and the took 8 laptops in seconds. I took pics of the counter they took them from, all the apple employes came up front, but no one made an attempt to do anything.

that's cause they're not allowed, and they risk losing their job (and no, i mean you will get fired probably, not that you'll be dead).

you're not supposed to chase a thief anywhere. let them run, don't try to be a hero.

cforand1293

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2006
Yeah i agree, just stating the facts. I am sure they have video footage of the whole thing.

karohan

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
that's cause they're not allowed, and they risk losing their job (and no, i mean you will get fired probably, not that you'll be dead).

you're not supposed to chase a thief anywhere. let them run, don't try to be a hero.

Wait, is that really true? Why would you risk losing your job over trying to do anything? Is it because Apple doesn't want to be held liable for anything that may happen to said person (even though they don't require the person to do anything, which would make it harder to hold them liable)?

karohan

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
It's common sense. There are professionals collectively called "law enforcement" that catch criminals.

Doesn't mean it should be illegal to help, it's just highly unrecommended. It's not exactly like a medical situation where an authorized person attempting to "help" can actually do more harm than good.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Is that an Apple Policy or a law?

It's Apple's policy and it's for the safety of the employees and whoever might be at there. I'm not sure if there are any security there but that's the reason why Apple stores now have hired security - they didn't have it before but there have been theft with the popularity of Apple's products.

Wehrwolf

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2009
This is pretty much SOP in most corporate type retail outlets, IME.

We had an incident at a local Whole Foods grocery store not too long ago where an employee chased a shoplifter (who took about $400 worth of food) and tackled him out in the parking lot, detaining him until police arrived. The shoplifter was arrested, the employee was fired. Line from corporate was that company policy prohibited any employee from touching or laying hands on any customer in the store, even when the 'customer' was a thief.

Corporate does not want to be held liable for anything. The merchandise in almost all cases is insured against theft. The cost of a potential lawsuit from a shoplifter accusing an employee of assaulting/injuring/manhandling/whatever them would be far more expensive than an increase in insurance premiums to cover the theft.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Doesn't mean it should be illegal to help, it's just highly unrecommended. It's not exactly like a medical situation where an authorized person attempting to "help" can actually do more harm than good.

Actually, chasing a thief can do more harm. The thief may push a passerby down in order to get away faster, or to slow down their pursuer. Or if the thief has a weapon they may miss the pursuer and accidentally hurt a passerby.

I agree - in this case the best help anyone in the vicinity can provide is to get a good description, and if possible get the licence plate of the vehicle. Presumably they used a car since carting around 8 laptops on foot would be slightly conspicuous.

The best news is that no one was hurt. :)

Apple will get their laptops back the first time one goes in for repair, or upgrading, etc.

It would be ironic if the thief needed to call AppleCare, and gave up the serial number.

Update: Coincidentally, the next news feed I read had this story, about a 99 year old man who broke his hip when pushed to the ground by thief. "... Around 6:30 p.m. on Wednesday, the suspect allegedly attempted to steal several DVDs from a Nanaimo Walmart, according to police. The store's loss prevention officer attempted to arrest the suspect, who took off running, pushing the senior over in the process. The senior suffered a broken hip and was taken to hospital by ambulance, where he is now awaiting surgery. ..."
The full story here, in the Vancouver Sun.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
Is that an Apple Policy or a law?

if you ever worked retail, when you're being trained they should teach you this.

even if you're working security, you aren't supposed to run after them.

the thief could easily lead you to an area where there's no one in sight, and i guess you can fill the rest in.

jbrenn

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008
They dont chase because then the company is liable for the employee and the crook. I worked at target and someone chase a crook and the crook got ran over. The crook filed a lawsuit against target and got like $200,000. it did not happen at my store but the entire company had to go to training because of it.

cforand1293

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2006
I spoke with a lady who was walking in the time they were running out, she said she saw them run around the back of the building. I agree that no life is worth a computer, but it did seem like very few of the apple employes knew what to do after the event. I am sure that the managers were taking control, but apple is going to have to look into this. These guys made it look simple.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
The pictures show empty iPhone tables, FWIW.

The Apple Store I worked at, we almost always had someone standing behind the first table, facing the door. They essentially greeted everyone, although not literally. Sometimes it was just eye contact and a smile or nod. That store had one of the lower shrink rates in the region. Some folks apparently aren't as ballsy to steal after they've "been noticed".

cforand1293

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2006
Wow good eye, didnt even see that.. Your right looks like iphones.. My wife and kids were at the next table over and it had macbooks thought they both did. Now that I think about it I think that table had iphones on it. Bad move on the store to have such a small item right by the door. Sorry guys didnt mean to state the wrong product. Just happy to get my family out of the store.

MikeinJapan

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2010
Tokyo

They can replace the laptops and phones from the factory but I am pretty sure they don't have a factory making staff. Scary stuff!

DCJ001

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
This is pretty much SOP in most corporate type retail outlets, IME.

We had an incident at a local Whole Foods grocery store not too long ago where an employee chased a shoplifter (who took about $400 worth of food) and tackled him out in the parking lot, detaining him until police arrived. The shoplifter was arrested, the employee was fired. Line from corporate was that company policy prohibited any employee from touching or laying hands on any customer in the store, even when the 'customer' was a thief.

Corporate does not want to be held liable for anything. The merchandise in almost all cases is insured against theft. The cost of a potential lawsuit from a shoplifter accusing an employee of assaulting/injuring/manhandling/whatever them would be far more expensive than an increase in insurance premiums to cover the theft.

Do you see the problem?

babyt

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2009
texas
iphone-gun.jpg

us apple people are DANGEROUS. thuglife!:rolleyes:

seriously though how could they have grabbed 8 iphones then truck it out the store and the alarms going off as they are running..?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.