Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whw5

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2004
Atlanta
For some strange reason, multiple copies of almost every song I own are stored on my computer. Having them there is not much of a pain, even though they do take up a good deal of space. However, how do I keep itunes from importing these extra songs twice? Its a real pain because my music library has 2 or 3 copies of every song. Is there a way to keep itunes from doing this or do I have to go through by had and do this manually? Any help is great!!!

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Whenever I rip a CD, iTunes prompts me if it turns out I had already imported it. Maybe something's wrong with your preferences? Do you specify copying the music to the iTunes folder when adding a song to your library? That might be it.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
If you have the preference set to 'keep iTunes music organized' and 'copy music to iTunes folder when importing' you shouldn't have duplicate problems, so long as you are using correct names.

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
if, like me, you dont' have your iTunes music folder 'organized' (because you dont' want each single track going in it's own folder, especially when it doesnt' have a proper album name, making it impossible to find...) there are a few sites out there that have some nifty AppleScripts to deal with all sorts of situations in iTunes. may be a script that you could use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.