Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hijar69

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2010
Does the old aTV support True HD? If so what are good settings in Handbrake?

hijar69

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2010
Correct! Does anybody know? I'm connecting through an Onkyo TXSR606 and I know that through my Blu Ray player I get True HD. I'm trying to figure out encoding for audio. I have ripped MKV files that have True HD, just trying to figure out the setup.

emegmac

macrumors regular
May 19, 2007
I dont think it even plays dts let alone lossless audio. No mac can play it right now

hijar69

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2010
My receiver has a signal of dts through the setting of Neo:6 Cinema believe it or not but thanks for the answer on lossless

hijar69

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2010
Can anybody explain the difference between Dolby Pro Logic II and 6 Channel Discrete in the Mixdown section under Audio tab in Handbrake?

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
Can anybody explain the difference between Dolby Pro Logic II and 6 Channel Discrete in the Mixdown section under Audio tab in Handbrake?

One is a two-channel matrix surround sound format (DPL2), the other is six-channel discrete surround sound in AAC format. Not many devices can properly decode multichannel AAC if I remember correctly.

By spec, any Bluray with a TrueHD soundtrack must also include a standard Dolby Digital (AC3) 5.1 soundtrack (either standalone or contained within the same track). Handbrake can recognize and use the AC3 5.1 track when encoding from a Bluray source. There is currently no way to mux a TrueHD track into the mp4 container and have it playback through the AppleTV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.