Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pavelbure

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2007
Ok, I'm gonna try to run the benchmark after I come back from work today, I'll see how it goes. Not much hope, though.

I have a 2008 iMac 24" with 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo, 2GB DDR2 RAM and ATI RADEON HD 2600 PRO 256MB. Has anyone tested the benchmark on this particular model?

I also tested the benchmark on my 2009 Macbook Pro but I only got like 370 or something like that for the score. So here goes for hoping I can run it on the iMac.

By the way, hi everyone, I'm new here.

I have almost the same model, only difference is mine is 2.4Ghz. I got around 700 or so. I have been in the testing since alpha and it has gotten better. If you want to try the beta I can post up my settings I am using.

For me they are the best performance / good graphics settings I can get.

skitzogreg

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2007
Arkansas
Low - 1015
High - 567

Mac Pro 2009 4,1
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Intel Xeon E5520 @ 2.26ghz
2x NVIDIA GeForce GT 120

Just waiting for the 5870 to be offered from Apple to run the bench, hopefully it'll be before the 22nd.

Pardon the naïveté, but can't you simply flash any reference 5870 and add it to your system?

Ragunaru

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2010
I have almost the same model, only difference is mine is 2.4Ghz. I got around 700 or so. I have been in the testing since alpha and it has gotten better. If you want to try the beta I can post up my settings I am using.

For me they are the best performance / good graphics settings I can get.

Hey, thanks so much... I'm currently installing Windows on my iMac and will probably run the benchmark later to see for myself.

And actually, yeah, I was thinking of trying the beta 1st before it comes out; just to see if it's something that will actually keep me playing. So far there hasn't been an MMO which has kept me playing for more then 100 hours. Even that is a wil guess really.

SforSparky

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
Hey, thanks so much... I'm currently installing Windows on my iMac and will probably run the benchmark later to see for myself.

And actually, yeah, I was thinking of trying the beta 1st before it comes out; just to see if it's something that will actually keep me playing. So far there hasn't been an MMO which has kept me playing for more then 100 hours. Even that is a wil guess really.

Hey Ragunaru! Any updates on how the benchmark or beta is running on your system?
:)

bokebo

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2010
System:
Mac Pro
CPU = Intel Xenon Quad-Core W5230
CPU Speed = 2.7GHz
OS = Microsoft Windows Vista 64-bit
Main Memory = 6GB
Graphics Card = ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series 1GB

Low: 5321
Load Time: 24989ms

High: 4574
Load Time: 17550ms

xispec

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2010
Pardon the naïveté, but can't you simply flash any reference 5870 and add it to your system?

Yeah I could of done that but I've tried so many different things to try to get FFXIV beta and the retail version working even with the new video cards that meet the system requirement but I came to the conclusion that I am getting the "FFXIV.exe has stopped working." because of my Mac Pro having dual quad cores. Seems throughout my search for a solution those who have a Mac Pro with one quad core or single hex core runs the game with no problems. But any with 2x anything seems to not be compatible with FFXIV system requirement.

System:
Mac Pro
CPU = Intel Xenon Quad-Core W5230
CPU Speed = 2.7GHz
OS = Microsoft Windows Vista 64-bit
Main Memory = 6GB
Graphics Card = ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series 1GB

Low: 5321
Load Time: 24989ms

High: 4574
Load Time: 17550ms

Those are some impressive scores. Have you actually tried playing the retail version? Also is your Mac Pro a 2010 with apple's retail 5870?

Jonesy85

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2008
I'm hoping to play this on my MBP until it comes out for ps3. I still need to buy Windows 7, which I'm doing this week, so I can't run the benchmark yet. But judging from the responses in this thread, it looks like I can probably run the game on low settings, correct? Here are my specs...

17" MBP
GeForce 9600M GT
2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

So, should run OK on low settings?

Has anyone played on this setup, or very similar? I don't want to purchase and install Windows 7 unless I'm sure I can run the game without it looking absolutely horrible. :)

ozreth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
Has anyone played on this setup, or very similar? I don't want to purchase and install Windows 7 unless I'm sure I can run the game without it looking absolutely horrible. :)

People (including myself and a few others here and at ffxivcore.com) can't even play the game without turning every single setting to low and turning the resolution down on the 2010 i7 MBP so dont hold your breath : /

I can run any other game on high settings, but this one is a beast. The good news is that most of the trouble is server side and as things iron out in the next few months we should see a boost in performance.

You should be able to play if you put your settings down like the rest of us though : ) Also, the game still looks great on low settings.

un-dre

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2010
any luck on 2010 mac mini (the latest)
im planning to buy macmini for ffxiv.. before i buy ps3 release..

is it capable running the game with low setting and everything off?

Aljovido

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2008
Brooklyn
any luck on 2010 mac mini (the latest)
im planning to buy macmini for ffxiv.. before i buy ps3 release..

is it capable running the game with low setting and everything off?

I don't think the graphics card will be enough, even if you played on all low. I have an 8800GT with 512mb vram and on all low, its barely playable... I get a lot of screen tearing. I would suggest waiting for the PS3 version anyways (as it is, the PC version is still really buggy and lacking anyways).

xispec

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2010
Finally figured it out after a month of struggling to get FFXIV to work on my Mac Pro and finally found the solution! FFXIV isn't compatible of using the 16 cores (8 physical and 8 virtual). So if anyone else is having this problem I think I have found a fix.

shadowedash

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2010
Finally figured it out after a month of struggling to get FFXIV to work on my Mac Pro and finally found the solution! FFXIV isn't compatible of using the 16 cores (8 physical and 8 virtual). So if anyone else is having this problem I think I have found a fix.

What is the fix you found? I'm in the same boat as far as having a Mac Pro with bootcamping Windows 7 and not being able to even boot the game without it giving it me the ,"has stopped working." bull crap.

CStan

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2009
Windows Vista

AMD Athlon Dual Core 4850 2.5ghz

NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 1GB 256bit DDR3

Low: 799

Didn't try high. So, upgrade processor or video card or both? Not needing to play on all high settings, just wanna be able to play within reason. Any suggestions?

voltagenic

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2010
@ CStan
my graphics card is a 9800gt ee, an energy efficent card, and I score around 2300 on low settings (720). Rightly so, your gpu should most definately exceed my score.....However, and I know others on this forum may disagree, but FFXIV is cpu heavy. For example, I upgraded from a e6550 to a e7400 and my score went from 1800 in 720 to 2300 in 720. Your athlon is definately bottlenecking your card and I would look into getting a newer cpu if you can. AMD processors are quite cheap, and very easy to upgrade.

BTW in case you are wondering, your card should be able to handle FFXIV at mid to low settings without much or any lag, that is with a newer processor. My card, even though an ee, had a 256 memory bandwith as well and 1gb of ddr3 and even though my scores weren't that high, the beta ran really smooth. Your card is newer than mine, so I would assume that it would be more than enough to handle the game.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.