Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danieldaw

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2010
remember that if you are using a late 2009 imac with a 4850hd gpu, the bootcamp drivers provided will be very poor. you will likely already have had to google a remedy just to get windows installed on your machine already. if you managed to get up and running with the driver provided PLEASE update the driver through the ATI website. Remember this is a radeon MOBILITY 4850 hd card so If you want the catalyst control center then you have to download the mobile version. after all is said and done, and according to the benchmark, you should be able to run FFXIV on your late 2009 Imac as long as you are using atleast the core I5 with the 4850 card.

I bought a 21.5" imac just before the new range came out, fantastic timing I know, does this mean I will not be able to run XIV? The processor is 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo..So badly want to play this after spending alot of time on XI a couple years back.

Thanks for any help :)

8bitchris

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2008
Tennesee
The video card is the key.
If your imac is just one generation from the current, you should be fine.

I have a 2007 aluminum (made for Leopard) and the game will run on the lowest settings. Although, it does run like crap.

I bought a 21.5" imac just before the new range came out, fantastic timing I know, does this mean I will not be able to run XIV? The processor is 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo..So badly want to play this after spending alot of time on XI a couple years back.

frega

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2010

C2D wont be holding you back I dont think. Its the GPU.

ozreth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
hah me too.

pretty sure it will only work for the EU Square Enix site, which you can make an account on.

danieldaw

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2010
Just ran the benchmark and got 1635 so should just about be alright :)

I'm guessing there's no possible chance of getting a beta key anymore right?

ozreth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
Just ran the benchmark and got 1635 so should just about be alright :)

I'm guessing there's no possible chance of getting a beta key anymore right?

No worries if you don't, closed beta ends in a few days. Open Beta will be starting around September 1st.

kook

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2010
Just saw some disturbing news, not sure if it applies only to beta or would it be part of the CM version.

Square Enix acknowledge the existence of the system in an interview and in previous comments, but are strangely reticent about providing specifics:

Tell us about the “fatigue” and “dormancy” systems please.

We wanted to introduce a system to reward players who don’t have a lot of time to play. Maybe it looks as though we are placing long playing users at a disadvantage, but the idea is really to let play for short periods be viable.

Won’t that cause some concern amongst players who play for longer?

We want these players to try different classes. If you change class the fatigue doesn’t affect you, so you could try non-combat classes as well. You actually have more play choices now as you can make more characters.

“Some concern” may be a colossal understatement if early reports of just how draconian the limits are turn out to be correct:

Fatigue goes up to about 50% in 2 hours, and it takes 2 days to go down! So, if you play 4 hours you have to stop playing completely for 2 days!

WHAT!?

Only 1 hour a day!

What’s really amazing is that you have to pay a monthly subscription for this…

They can’t get away with this on a subscription game. They’ll be sued!

So you get bonuses for staying logged out – the servers are going to be nice and quiet, aren’t they!

More on the “dormancy” system:

Recovery takes time.

2 hours of combat or 1 hour of craft will induce “dormancy.”

The dormancy is actually shared over different characters.

It will decrease gains to 0% in the end.

It seems to be proportional to the amount of XP you earn.

Both light and heavy player are going to weep...
http://www.famitsu.com/news/201008/19032391.html

kook

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2010
that pretty much matches my experience. I partied for a few hours one saturday, had yellow xp bar and it took a few days for it to go away.

it wont bod well with alot of hardcore FF players whom love to only solo 1 class.
Guess the designers have in mind for players to keep switching classes for a different game play experience

cerote

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2009
I cannot get the benchmark to work. I am using bootcamp-Windows 7- ATI Radeon HD 4850 on my iMac 27 in.

No matter what it keeps crashing/closing the benchmark on the option after chosing test. I have tried the different drivers as suggested by forums but nothing works so far.

icel0rd

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2008
Mac Pro 2008 (8 core) FFXIV Bench

High - 4457
Low - 4648

Mac Pro 2008, 3,1
E5462 x 2 (8 Core) @ 2.8 Ghz each
10 GB RAM
XFX Radeon 5870 @ 900/1300 (non-EFI version, just boot into Windows directly)
Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
OCZ Vertex 60GB SSD - OCZSSD2-1VTX60G (game drive)

Last edited:

xispec

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2010
Mac Pro 2009 (8 Core) FFXIV Benchmark

Low - 1015
High - 567

Mac Pro 2009 4,1
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Intel Xeon E5520 @ 2.26ghz
2x NVIDIA GeForce GT 120

Just waiting for the 5870 to be offered from Apple to run the bench, hopefully it'll be before the 22nd.

jailorjoe1978

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2010
bench crash

I cannot get the benchmark to work. I am using bootcamp-Windows 7- ATI Radeon HD 4850 on my iMac 27 in.

No matter what it keeps crashing/closing the benchmark on the option after chosing test. I have tried the different drivers as suggested by forums but nothing works so far.

It did not work for me wither till i reinsalled direct X

cerote

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2009
How are you reinstalling dx? I tried but it would always fail. Guess I will try again.

jailorjoe1978

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2010
Big Difference

OK after some research i decided it was relatively safe to overclock the late 2009 imacs mobility 4850 hd card. Here is a post from someone who has the best solution for getting the imac to perform better and hit the higher benchmarks.

"As far as overclocking the mobility 4850 goes, use msi afterburner. In order to get msi afterburner to overclock mobility cards, you need to edit "allow unofficial overclocking" line in msi afterburner's config.txt file. Just open it up in notepad and find the "allow unofficial overclocking' line, and change the 0 to a 1, then save the file with its original name.

You can push the mobility 4850 to pretty high speeds, because the 27 inch iMac has rather good cooling when you crank the fan speeds up. If you crank the odd fan up to max, you can get away with desktop 4850's clock speeds (625mhz core and 990mhz vram) An overclocked mobility 4850 with those clocks will perform exactly like a desktop 4850.

With the odd fan maxed, you won't see your gpu's temp rise above 70c. To set the odd fan to max rpm, rev it up with smc fan control on osx, then restart the computer (not shut down) and go into windows."

it works.. my low resolution scores went from around 2700 to closer to 3100-3200. u just HAVE to keep the ODD fan at least 50%. I would suggest 75% but its a little loud.

Jonesy85

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2008
I'm hoping to play this on my MBP until it comes out for ps3. I still need to buy Windows 7, which I'm doing this week, so I can't run the benchmark yet. But judging from the responses in this thread, it looks like I can probably run the game on low settings, correct? Here are my specs...

17" MBP
GeForce 9600M GT
2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

So, should run OK on low settings?

Ragunaru

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2010
Ok, I'm gonna try to run the benchmark after I come back from work today, I'll see how it goes. Not much hope, though.

I have a 2008 iMac 24" with 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo, 2GB DDR2 RAM and ATI RADEON HD 2600 PRO 256MB. Has anyone tested the benchmark on this particular model?

I also tested the benchmark on my 2009 Macbook Pro but I only got like 370 or something like that for the score. So here goes for hoping I can run it on the iMac.

By the way, hi everyone, I'm new here.

SforSparky

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
Ok, I'm gonna try to run the benchmark after I come back from work today, I'll see how it goes. Not much hope, though.

I have a 2008 iMac 24" with 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo, 2GB DDR2 RAM and ATI RADEON HD 2600 PRO 256MB. Has anyone tested the benchmark on this particular model?

I also tested the benchmark on my 2009 Macbook Pro but I only got like 370 or something like that for the score. So here goes for hoping I can run it on the iMac.

By the way, hi everyone, I'm new here.

Hey Ragunaru! I'm new here too and have the exact same specs as you do. I've been curious about benchmark results for our iMac specs as well and was hoping to see some decent results before I went out to get windows 7 and preorder my copy. Hopefully we'll see someone post their specs soon... but if I ever get tempted to jump the gun, I'll grab everything and try running the benchmark myself.

Cheers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.