Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

melodosgr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2010
Hello everyone.

I was quite astonished that there is not enough consolidation to Xcode in order to allow an update feauture which will get me from Xcode 3.2.2 to 3.2.4 + iOS sdk 4.1 from 3.x.x

Can someone tell me how to get through the upgrade session? I wish to delete all the prior xcode 3.2.2 folders on my mac as i'm running on low disk space but i thought that the 4.1 replaces the old files which is apparently not? I'm really confused..

Should i delete all the files in the developer folder??

Comrade Yeti

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2010
sudo <Xcode>/Library/uninstall-devtools --mode=all

<Xcode> is your SDK install directory (normally /Developer).

Then install the new version.

melodosgr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2010
sudo <Xcode>/Library/uninstall-devtools --mode=all

<Xcode> is your SDK install directory (normally /Developer).

Then install the new version.

Thanks, thats what i did. Hopefully Apple will implement an update feature within xcode. I would also like to see a more integrated environment like all the other IDEs and not separated tools: (Interface Builder, Xcode, Iphone Simulator).

cnstoll

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2010
Just out of curiosity, is there anything wrong with just installing a new version (say 3.2.5...) over the current version without first uninstalling it?

I've been wondering the same thing, and it's part of why I haven't installed the new version to test 4.2 features yet.

On the same token, if you do install 3.2.5 beta will you still be able to compile for iOS 4.1 at all? Or does that get replaced by 4.2?

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Just out of curiosity, is there anything wrong with just installing a new version (say 3.2.5...) over the current version without first uninstalling it?
I've done it a ton of times and never had any issues. But I always keep betas separate from production versions.

On the same token, if you do install 3.2.5 beta will you still be able to compile for iOS 4.1 at all? Or does that get replaced by 4.2?
You can't set your Base SDK to 4.1 but you can still set your "iOS Deployment Target" to as far back as 3.0.

Anyways, Apple recommends that you install betas in a separate directory. You are usually not allowed to submit apps compiled with the beta SDK.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
I just rename the /Developer directory to /Developer_(old_version_number) and install the latest release in /Developer and the latest beta in /Developer_beta.

silverhand31

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2011
sorry about digging grave :D
I just notice that there are a new update to Xcode 4.2 -> 4.2.1.
So the apple want me to download the whole install file again(~2g).
Is it always like this, can I personal update by using patch?
I

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.