Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Thank you for doing this, we'll see what you have for us in a few days :D

Yeah... no problem, I only made it because I wanted something.

There's going to be massive under the hood changes, so it may take a little longer to release and there will be a beta stage that's a accessible on my website. The widget will look and act the same as now, but with changes to several fields. :cool:

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Update!

New Release 1.5.2
Updated to show more stats for Core_a3 which includes bonus points. I highly recommend you update your folding client to 6.29.3 and if you're running a laptop, in the Extra Parameters fields, add -advmethods flag or it may not work. In addition to take advantage of those points we notify users whether their passkey is set or not, so if you don't have one, you may want to go get one or you wont get bonus points.

What's new or changed.

* Added Bonus Points, Bonus Factor, kFactor, bonus averages and whether passkey is set.
* User Name, Team Name, and Project are clickable web links to specific pages at Folding@home.
* Enhanced Project name for core2 and core3 projects that only contain P####. They will check once on the Folding@home server for a more descriptive project name.
* Automatically removes and scales certain fields from Additional Information. Will reappear if info becomes available.
* Automatically removes user info if not available on Extreme Overclocking. Will reappear if info becomes available.
* Automatically removes adjacent teammates if not present on Folding@home Fast Team pages. Will reappear if info becomes available.
* Moved Unit Number and Size to Additional Information, but will show up next to Points if there's no bonus information.
* Changed message "wating for core..." under prefer/pref dates to n.a. because of core a3 issue with MacBooks and MacBook Pro's.
* Aesthetic changes to margins, font, font colors and shank the widget just slightly.
* Smoothed out animations and increased speed of drop down boxes.
* Fixed issue where Growler didn't reload after restart or log-in.
* Fixed console error message that didn't affect the client.
* Should see performance improvement, reduction of resources, and overall solidity.

You can download a local only client from here: http://sites.google.com/site/pgwalsh/f-h-wudget
fah_wudget_blue.png

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
New Release 1.5.2
Updated to show more stats for Core_a3 which includes bonus points. I highly recommend you update your folding client to 6.29.3 and if you're running a laptop, in the Extra Parameters fields, add -advmethods flag or it may not work. In addition to take advantage of those points we notify users whether their passkey is set or not, so if you don't have one, you may want to go get one or you wont get bonus points.

What's new or changed.

* Added Bonus Points, Bonus Factor, kFactor, bonus averages and whether passkey is set.
* User Name, Team Name, and Project are clickable web links to specific pages at Folding@home.
* Enhanced Project name for core2 and core3 projects that only contain P####. They will check once on the Folding@home server for a more descriptive project name.
* Automatically removes and scales certain fields from Additional Information. Will reappear if info becomes available.
* Automatically removes user info if not available on Extreme Overclocking. Will reappear if info becomes available.
* Automatically removes adjacent teammates if not present on Folding@home Fast Team pages. Will reappear if info becomes available.
* Moved Unit Number and Size to Additional Information, but will show up next to Points if there's no bonus information.
* Changed message "wating for core..." under prefer/pref dates to n.a. because of core a3 issue with MacBooks and MacBook Pro's.
* Aesthetic changes to margins, font, font colors and shank the widget just slightly.
* Smoothed out animations and increased speed of drop down boxes.
* Fixed issue where Growler didn't reload after restart or log-in.
* Fixed console error message that didn't affect the client.
* Should see performance improvement, reduction of resources, and overall solidity.

You can download a local only client from here: http://sites.google.com/site/pgwalsh/f-h-wudget
fah_wudget_blue.png

This looks awsome, I can't wait to get it! Thanks! :D

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
This looks awsome, I can't wait to get it! Thanks! :D

Thanks.... It's kind of insanely long, but that little arrow button on the right allows you to hide everything as it's full of checkboxes. If it's too long for your screen you can spawn two widgets and have on for local info and one for remote info.

SciFrog

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
Looks good, the bonus calculation is nice to have.

Unfortunately my ranking in the team is wrong (says 5 but it is 6) as well as adjacent teammates. Not sure who is missing in the stats. This was also the case with the previous version.

Also lost overall stats when you belonged to multiple teams (because of the stats change right?).

SciFrog

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
The problem with the rank is lyzardking. On FAH own pages he has more points than on the other stat, which throws his position off.

Also the overall rank is different between the stats (1122 vs 1240 ish).

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Also lost overall stats when you belonged to multiple teams (because of the stats change right?).
Yes... EOC doesn't use totals in their XML files which they require. That would mean you'd have to enter multiple teams at one time, which the widget doesn't support, but you can always have more than one widget and turn off local stats on one of them.

The problem with the rank is lyzardking. On FAH own pages he has more points than on the other stat, which throws his position off.

Also the overall rank is different between the stats (1122 vs 1240 ish).
The ranks come from the FAST TEAM PAGES, which is the only place I'm allowed to take them from. They lag behind in a big way and do not always match your team rank on a given day.

What's your user name and team? I can double check.

I personally miss knowing how many processor are contributing during the week and past 50 days, but this information isn't included in the files Folding@home gives to third parties. It's unfortunate, but they don't seem interested in including them.

SciFrog

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
Check Team MacRumors, look at lyzardking. There is a difference of over 1 million units for him...

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Check Team MacRumors, look at lyzardking. There is a difference of over 1 million units for him...

lyzardking has two rankings I think he's 7th and 16th. So that could be causing a problem. However, the rankings look normal. There's a difference between EOC and folding pages, but that changes constantly. EOC gets stats every 3 hours where Folding@Home now updates on the hour.

It's showing up fine on my computer, so I'm not seeing the issue.
SciFrog.png

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
He is ranked 4th here
http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_list.php?s=&t=3446

Your widget says in the topmost pane I am ranked 6th of 2281, but in the adjacent teammates pane, I am ranked 5th.

Strange.

Also you used to have the change in units, points from the last time you run the widget in the older versions, that was nice.
That EOC page is accumulating 2 users with the same name. See on this page lyzardkings rankings. http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=3446

So I have no control over EOC's system and that seems like an error to me.

As for your rank at 5th and 6th. I'm assuming you moved up in rank within the last day or so. This hasn't been reflected in EOC's xml files. As I said earlier, they don't always match up because they're pulled from different websites. Folding@home has a regular team page and a fast team page. The fast team page isn't updated as regularly as the normal page, but 3rd party utilities like my widget are not allowed to use the normal page. The same is true for EOC. Not much I can do, but your stats will eventually update.

I still have the code to show rank change with arrows. I haven't updated it because so many things changed and now that it shows your points per update, day and week I wasn't sure how necessary it is. I thought about putting it back only for Rank In Team and Overall Rank.

SciFrog

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
It is not an update problem on EOC pages, one page has ONE lyzardking, makes me 6th, the other one has lyzarking 7th and 19th as TWO entities, makes me 5th. Looks like inconsistent interpretation by EOC of the data...

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
New Beta

I have a new Beta to F@H WUdget. Added a couple things and fixed a few bugs.

Interested in getting responses from people with Leopard on PPC/Intel.
New:
  • User defined directories. You can use directory shortcuts ~/Library/Folding@home.
  • Added ETA to Growl notifications.
Fixes:
  • Fixed initial search on install that broke with Snow Leopard.
  • Fixed client error when flipping widget and you don't have a local client.
  • Fixed some Growl timing issues and errors.
  • Minor speed improvements.
Know Bugs:
  • On some PPC systems running Leopard the widget turns white after a period of time.
Link: http://sites.google.com/site/pgwalsh/what-s-new/fhwudget-155f14cbeta

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Please fix the change of daily average which has the wrong sign. Tks

I'm not following... Is this under additional information? The abbreviation for average is avg or perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you're referring to.

SciFrog

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
Team and member weekly average:

when your average moves from 1,000 a day to 1,500 a day, the change field next to it will indicate a down arrown and a red 500 number.
It should be an up arrow and a green number ;)

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand

when your average moves from 1,000 a day to 1,500 a day, the change field next to it will indicate a down arrown and a red 500 number.

Thanks for the catch. I've been looking at it for months and never noticed. :eek:

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand

Just to clarify that in the field: Points 24 Hour Avg?

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand

I don't see any issue. It's just taking the difference from your previous 3 hour update and letting you know wether the amount of points went up or down in that time period. I probably shouldn't have any arrows or numbers there, because it doesn't really mean anything. It would probably be better if I compared it to exactly 24 hours prior. That wouldn't work since not everyone updates their widget every 3 hours and therefore we would have missing numbers.

SciFrog

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
Read my posts above, it is just the sign that is wrong, if you average went up, you indicate a down red number with a down arrow. It should be green with an up arrow...

SciFrog

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
Looks like you just decided to get rid of the average change then... Radical but effective :rolleyes:

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Looks like you just decided to get rid of the average change then... Radical but effective :rolleyes:

Well it only showed the change from the previous update not from 24 hours prior and this caused confusion for some people. I certainly wouldn't call it radical.

SciFrog

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
Oh well, I didn't find it confusing...

Anyway, the new 6900 units don't have PPD calculations for some reason. Which leads me to mention something about these anyway: the bonus points (for all SMP) did not seem to be calculated using the estimated finish time of a units.
It seemed the the overall PPD calculated would go up to reach the max near completion of the unit, so not really useful.
What would be better would be estimated PPD using the estimated time of completion.

And the panacea of course would be remote monitor of all the computers folding on your network :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.