Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kilowattradio

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2009
Oregon
I surely hope that Lion does not mean a locked OS like the iPhone and iPad. That would be bad news for everyone that has multiple uses for their Mac intel computer.
I think the 30% commission for the MApp store is steep, especially for specialty software makers. A $500 application in the MApp store would generate a $150 commission for Apple which would lead to higher costs on software. Also will Lion require only software that is pre-approved by Apple and will that be the only place you can install software from?:eek:

VPrime

macrumors 68000
Dec 19, 2008
London Ontario
Why would it be a locked down OS? What did apple show today that made everyone think it is locked down?!
NOTHING!
Every one is worried about the appstore. Steve jobs specifically said that the app store is only one way of getting apps, NOT THE ONLY WAY.
Every thing you are used to stille exists, nothing has changed. You don't have to use the app store!

As for the 30% apple takes, it is actually quite reasonable.
If you developer your own software and sell it on your own site.. You still do not make 100%. I would guess it is below or right around the 70% mark any ways.
You must factor in LOTS of advertising, web hosting, LOTS of bandwidth to be able to supply your software. This stuff is not cheap.
Apple is taking the heavy load off the developers, this lets developers focus on writing programs, not selling them.

applemagic123

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2009
it better not...

I just LOOOOOVE me some SMCfancontrol and some iStat Pro applications on ma' Mac so that I can fix apple's mistake of not caring about having ACTIVE cooling for the processor chips, but instead rather to have a 'quiet' machine. That is called 'PLANNED OBSOLESENCE' on Apple's part. Keep the temperatures low enough to pass energy standards, but high enough to make the logic board last only a few years if the cpu fan is on the default RPM.

This reason alone, is why it better not get locked. I'm sure people would find jailbreaks though. My 2g iPhone is jailbroken and on tmobile. I can get rid of the lockscreen completely with a toggle, I can get rid of the stupid bookmarks page that pops up in safari when you have all pages closed, I can do just about anything on my iPhone!

I also like 'flip4mac' 'vlc player' 'perion' using a hacked user name and code to get quicktime player 7 PRO, 'audacity' which is way better than garageband, and a lot more 3rd party applications on the mac platform.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
It will not be locked down. Apple said that the mac app store is just another way to get programs, not the only way.

unixperience

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2010
The way I see it is that pple already has an unofficial appstore. its called downloads
http://www.apple.com/downloads/
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/
been there for quite a while, but the way I see it is it's a bit of a pain to navigate through (and actually somewhat difficult to find.. in my experience I always have to search to get to the page.. never found any direct links). hopefully the new apstore is basically jsut this.. but in a much more organized cleaner fashion. It's just a faster way of getting apps, one click and you are there

you will still be able to downlaod whatever apps you want this is just convenience. and I would say it will boost sales because it is easier to do, you can make impulse buys before you have time to think things through. you don't have to search as long for an app and therefore you don't use full restraint and self control. that's the way i see it. I don't think the store will hurt anyone just a nice way to get apps faster

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Aside of your paranoia and voices inside your head, what gives you any indication Apple plans on locking down their OS? Is it because they see a new revenue stream from the Mac AppStore?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
It won't be locked down, though only time will tell if apple decides to embrace the walled garden on the desktop side. I think they're laying the ground work for that move. So 10.7 won't be locked down, but that doesn't mean apple won't be embracing that mentality in future versions

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
It won't be locked down, though only time will tell if apple decides to embrace the walled garden on the desktop side. I think they're laying the ground work for that move. So 10.7 won't be locked down, but that doesn't mean apple won't be embracing that mentality in future versions

Not to worry - There will be hacks made to fix that if it ever arises... :D

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Not to worry - There will be hacks made to fix that if it ever arises... :D

That's not the point. I enjoy a droidx because I get many of the same apps as an iphone, more flexibility, options, customizations without needing to employ hacks or jail breaking.

The moment apple locks down OSX in similarly fashion to iOS, is the moment I move on to windows.

Win7 has caught up to OSX's stability, ease of use and eye candy. I see no reason to embrace a closed managed environment where the apple tells me what's appropriate and what's not, even if I find a way to hack it

Will it happen, I dunno, but as I stated, apple is laying the ground work for such a move if they choose.

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
Won't the Apps run as widgets do at present anyway?

I disabled dashboard ages ago, it's a pointless waste of memory and resources, especially on an older mac like mine.

Jollins

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2006
Win7 has caught up to OSX's stability, ease of use and eye candy. I see no reason to embrace a closed managed environment where the apple tells me what's appropriate and what's not, even if I find a way to hack it

Will it happen, I dunno, but as I stated, apple is laying the ground work for such a move if they choose.
You can bet that Windows 8 will also have an app store.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

They actually are already setting up app stores but the differences between apple and the world AFAIK, is that apple is going to approve the apps where as most don't go to such draconian steps

tharris0101

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2010
Since OS X is based on a lot of open source software, could they even legally lock it down? I've always had a sneaky feeling that was the reason they totally rewrote iOS so that they could get away from being confined by the open source licenses that OS X is built on.

wisty

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2009
No way. Developers don't want locked-down machines. They like iPhones and iPads, which are really cool toys; but no serious programmer will ever choose a locked-down computer.

If all the developers switch to Windows or Linux, then no-one will develop apps for the app store.

Big companies (and a few greedy devs and fanboys) will still make apps, but they'll lose a huge slice of their indie and open-source developers.

They might add a bit more security, making it a little more time-consuming to install things, but locking it down too much would kill the whole platform.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Since OS X is based on a lot of open source software
Where did you get that information?

OSX is based on unix which is not open source. Apple at one point released darwin to open source, have since stopped doing that. While webkit is indeed open source the OS is very much closed and proprietary.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Where did you get that information?

OSX is based on unix which is not open source. Apple at one point released darwin to open source, have since stopped doing that. While webkit is indeed open source the OS is very much closed and proprietary.

Parts of OS X are closed, but Darwin is very much still open source. Darwin is based on the open source BSD Unix and the source is available at http://opensource.apple.com
There is also a long list of open source projects used in OS X here: http://www.apple.com/opensource/

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Except apple has stopped releasing darwin and apple still has many layers that are specific and proprietary meaning there's nothing to stop apple from locking down OSX

Peter.Howard

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2010
Australia.
I think comparing the Ipad, Iphone locked down environment to the Mac desktop is abit like apples and oranges, or lemon's. ;)

maybe we will see more online stores for software popping up, a Microsoft store, Adobe, Sun, etc....

We can speculate, but can't see the Mac being locked down

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008

Yep, and it will be curated by MS.

As for the gloom and doom: there is a chance that Apple would lock down OS X: only apps sold through the App Store would be installable on the computer. Without optical drives, only media (apps, music, movies, TV shows, etc.) sold through iTunes would be allowed to be put onto the computer. The list goes on.

And yes, while Apple could completely and utterly lock down OSX in 10.8 if they so wanted, I don't know if it'll ever happen. It seems plausible but I don't think that antitrust laws would let them.

darkplanets

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2009
Remember kids, things that are locked are always unlockable, and if necessity dictates, will be unlocked.

Don't worry even if it is-- as long as the device and OS are in your hands its always going to be modifiable through some means to gain functionality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.