Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
The only way

that they'd be able to say "beyond the rumor sites" is if they're doing something truly rude. Lets say: Apple, Citibank, AOL, Sprint and IBM in partnership with Sony and Motorola drop a bomb like: "iNet, no matter where you go, there you are."
Banking, Internet, Storage, Phone service, Access to all of Time/Warner's archives as pay on demand streaming feeds, AOL built into X.2, all at once. Apple provides the interface.

detroitsuperfly

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2002
rekras

Take a happy pill and relax! This isn't a hardcore serious discussion. If we want to joke about this, then we have the right. We're not hurting anyone in the process, so stop getting so hysterical.

newamiga

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2001
Apple's Second "Special Event"

Interesting side note from Apple's press release on their MWSF plans.. another special event on tap ..
Feature Presentation:
“Power of X”—Avie Tevanian, Apple’s senior vice president of Software Engineering, and Philip Schiller, Apple’s vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing.

What: A presentation on the world’s most advanced operating system
When: Tuesday, January 8, 12 p.m. PST
Where: Moscone Convention Center, South Hall Rooms 103/104

This means no big talk from Steve J during the big event about OS X. Now he has 2.5 hours sked ..looking for him to break Gil Amelio's 3 hour mark and he wont talk about X much .. humm.. Or could this be a place holder for another Apple session to reiterate the new and special toys for those who didn't make new travel plans. In either case it should be interesting.

elgruga

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2001
Canada
getting too heavy, rekras

Originally posted by rekras
you junior members and guests are getting just plain annoying with your geeky humor that only amuses yourself, imower, ifridge, imoof, give it a rest, stupid "i" things jokes are done.

As we like to say where I come from: Bollocks, mate!
You are just plain wrong.

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
Well, since there haven't been any leaks of photos or anything, all we can do is speculate and make jokes, but I think we could come up with something more than the old iJoke here.

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
wouldn't it be fun to just go sit in front of your mac for about 2 hours, with the power off, just staring at it, and dreaming up what types of things apple will be coming out with.....

.....NO, i like hearing what other people have to say, but not when it's total BS like PDAs and VWs with apple logos on them, or dodecahedron enclosures

A

Androo

OSX on Intel is a possibility.

I believe that it is very possible for Apple to release OSX on Intel. How? Release a single version of it and sware to never update it. That would make them a great deal of cash because a good deal of the x86 folks will go running to try it on their boxen, nobody from the PPC world would ever think of jumping ship if the operating system would never again be updated for the x86 platform and if enough people like OSX on their machines it's very possible they'll make the switch to Apple hardware.

Of course there are problems in that theory ... but that's the only way it could possibly ever happen without Apple going out of business.

iapplemac

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2001
I hope its not iMac

I do hope the the next line of products from Apple are into called i---- this i---- is so 1998. New Year, New Names

marco114

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2001
USA
OSX on Intel

The only problem is that OS X on Intel has been a rumor forever, and it's WAY BEYOND that.

We are not thinking the right direction, yes Apple will release some cool new G4/G5's, Yes, Apple will have some new Mac to replace the iMac.

What else could Apple possibly make better that there is so little of? Broadband.

If Apple can create some sort of Broadband access that can be accessed from anywhere, anytime. They'd be the richest company in the world. No joke.

There was a lot of talk of wireless Firewire awhile back that Apple had developed.

Another Road Less Travelled: Xerox Parc's Reasearch facility comes up with some really cool stuff including paper-thin monitors. (Actually paper thin).: (an excerpt):

"Digital Document Media
Gyricon Media Incorporated (GMI), a company recently spun out of PARC, is developing electrically addressable, re-writable substrates for a range of applications, with an initial focus on wireless, battery-operated signs for the retail signage market. A PARC group is conducting research on devices and applications for a variety of mobile, hand-held applications. "

http://www.parc.xerox.com/projects.html
http://www.gyriconmedia.com/smartpaper/index.asp

BurntCalc

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2002
Tucson
Originally posted by mnkeybsness

.....NO, i like hearing what other people have to say, but not when it's total BS like PDAs and VWs with apple logos on them, or dodecahedron enclosures

Ummm, the Dodecahedron enclosure is the rumored new G5 enclosure, due in April. It's not some fantasy concoction, or a joke. What's pretty sure is that Apple is toying with a dodecahedron shape, but knowing apple, it's probably one of many new designs, and probably won't see the light of day.

And a PDA? Dunno if that counts for total BS either. Just very unlikely.

JonesBonk

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2001
Calgary, Canada
Apple buys Transitive Technologies

ok really - this is it...

Apple will announce that they have purchased Transitive Technologies and plans to incorporate Dynamite (which in TTL's own words, "dynamically accelerates object code without recompilation") into OSX 10.2.

Instead of porting OSX to Intel, they create within OSX, the inherent ability to run XP applications at near native speed - transparently in OSX. It's a great idea - first, they don't cannibalize hardware sales by offering X on Intel (not to mention the bad press they would get when these PC knuckleheads have a tough time running X on their P3 450). Second, they create a safe window for windows users to move to the Apple platform without having to sacrifice their collection of software. Then, when it comes time to upgrade, they will have seen the advantage in moving to native X apps, and take the plunge completely!

Considering the sad flop that VPC5 is (and always has been, for that matter), this will be a prime opportunity for Apple to appeal to the other 95 - who are just looking for a way to dump M$ once and for all.

Sales of 2Ghz G5's will go through the roof since it'll run XP faster than any Intel or AMD box available!

I can hardly breathe!

mmoore00

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2001
Northfield, MN
Originally posted by SPG
Run windows apps on OSX properly? Hmmm, I like it.

Wait a sec... Didn't I hear once that XP runs more with more speed and stability on PowerPC processors? That's probably a just a rumor... But this is "MacRumors."

zaltar

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2002
were missing somthing

Its gotta be somthing we haven't thought of yet. Im gonna say its prolly not OS X for wintel, prolly not a PDA. And yea I hope they come up with a better name than i___ somthing. What would be cool is a digital hub device thats basically a multimedia settop box with a HD, DVD/CD-rw (possibly a superdrive) and a striped down version of X. And this would all connect to your TV and Sound system. I'd have a modem and ethernet for a broadband connection and would allow you to stream quicktime media (hopefully QT6 with mpeg4) on your TV. The hd would be used to store mp3s ripped from the drive. It's possible. I bealieve there is a product out there that will stream real player stuff to a HD...

Well its just a speculation, just somethin i thought would be cool.

Gus

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
Ok guys, I'm sorry , but that spymac movie looks pretty dang real to me. I have seen my share of fakes. but this looks like the real deal. I hope it is so I can poo-poo all of you people who have pissed on me for the PDA hopes.

Gus

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.