Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
M

mum

Re: Communicator

Originally posted by mbcastleman
I don't know but Nokia is finally announcing the introduction of their communicator. Maybe Apple has a phone PDA. Maybe a camera that leverages airport.

Hasn't it been out for a year soon? I've used one for six months now.

thinmann

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2001
ipad?

a friend of mine was in a forum last night and he said that the major topic was the ipad. could be a tablet or a pda....

who knows

R

rumormill@loudthing.com

aaaah. the iPad. apple gets into the property market and starts to sell apartments. with built-in old stock items. complete with the iPet, a dog with a built-in airport card.

could it be a g4 mac in the shape of a cube. an iCube perhaps. prior to the announcement will be the unveiling of a new device for selective memory deletion.

finally, the iPatch....

elgruga

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2001
Canada
Digital camera that uses iPod for its storage is too obvious - but probable.

Merger is the most likely - but its a product merge, not a co. merge.
Apple and Sony combine to bring you the killer game thing or something.
Apple and IBM combine to bring you OS X on PowerPC on IBM laptops - Now that could work.....
OS X Server running on IBM PowerPC big iron - yes.

Some how this involves IBM, Sony and Apple shooting for yet another challenge to M$.

And this time - WE WIN!

But no.
Apple has started this 'centre of your digital
universe type of thing', so its a product merge with Sony or similar.
Every one is hurting financially, so you combine with another big quality co. and both sides benefit.

BTW, sorry for starting the OS X on Intel thing.....!
I dont really think it will fly, and my 'logical argument' on the OS and quality hardware was flawed, to say the least.

zerocool90

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2002
point of interest

yea, ok my grandma works at sears..she comes home yesterday and tells me that sears told her that they were cancelling her service agreement on her imac cause they wouldnt be able to get replacement parts after june or so...make your own call.

zaltar

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2002
iMower

I got it everyone. It’s going to be the iMower. It’s a lawn mower attached to IT with a built in flat screen panel with a G5 running at 1.6 GHz. It will also have a firewire port and huge speakers built in so it can dock with the iPod. It will retail for $1699.

They said beyond didn't they?

Back to reality now. Im still gonna bet on some type of digital hub device we haven’t thought of yet.... Oh the possibilities.

networkman

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2002
california, usa
re: zerocool90

you are right on, i think

look to other sources like sears like the segway rumor sites looked to the patent office and got the real facts

sears is like a giant compared to apple so if what your grandmother says is accurate, we are in for a totally redesigned imac (short necked crt and smaller footprint imac would be almost as cool as lcd)

the flat panel lcd imac will do more for apple than a g5 or dual g5 or an apple-segway licensed scooter because the imac will be aimed at the regular person and new users and that is what will make apple's valuation go back up again

lcd imac, that's all, but that's really enough and we will be excitied

my 2 cents

deusvede

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2001
What about a digital blackboard?
No keyboard, no mouse, a really minimalist computer in the mood of the iMac. A computer to go,a no-computer, a granma's computer, a redefinition of Digital Lifestyle. Let's do what everybody fear to do. Let's be Apple.

erosner32

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2001
iNewton

has Microsoft or any other pc company ever been able to excite their customers to the level that Apple always delivers......my advice...buy Apple stock!! They are ready to bust out....I say it is a hipster cell phone/inewton running osx lite .

Mausabiest

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2002
Germany
Well folks todays headline on the apple homepage was a real blow. Think big, thats what it seems to be about. I read all of the 86 comments till now, and I think there will be a lot more. Lets see what tomorrow will bring. The nearer the day gets the more exited gets the Apple community, it is like a virus with infects everybody who has an Apple. I just hope that Billy will cure us all on January the 7th. Think positive, think big, think different !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
oops

There's no way Apple can live up to the hype they just created. Unless something extremely wierd happened (like Motorola suddenly figuring out how to make G5s for 5 bucks a piece), this could be very very bad for Apple.

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
Now that I've gotten that out...

...I'll start making wild predictions like everyone else :)

low end powermac:1.6Ghz G5
medium:dual 1.6Ghz G5s
High end:quad 1.6Ghz G5s
Digital device: iCureForCancer ;)

sumsugar

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2002
Really FAST

Guys. its gonna be a very, very fast processor. Lets thin about what apple is saying.

1. "Big even by our standards"

Apples standards have for a long time been "Its not the cpu speed its other factors", "Its not just megahertz", and the "Megahertz Myth."

2. "Beyond the rumor sites, way beyond"

Rumor sites are expecting something to break the 1 Gig barrier.

I THINK APPLES GONNA ANNOUNCE 2 GIG PROCESSOR.

It has to be about the speed.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Re: Really FAST

I think everybody is wrong!! When apple said "big" I think they meant some sort of v.large server!

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
From the MWSF website

This is one of Apple's booths. I don't see any completely new categories, but it might be being kept secret for now.

Product Category Subcategory

* Graphic Design/Illustration/Effects
* Home: General Use & Recreation
* Optical Drives/Players - CD/DVD
* Streaming Media/Content Delivery
* USB
* Web Apps Dev/Programming Tools
* CD/DVD authoring/editing
* Desktops/Desktop Environments/OS
* Digital Video Production/Editing
* Entertainment: Gaming/TV/Movies
* Multimedia Content Creation
* Educational: K – 12, Higher Ed
* FireWire IEEE 1394
* Website Development Tools
* Wireless:Laptops/Handhelds/PDA’s

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
The other one of Apple's booths...

...is a bit more interesting. It doesn't list ANY product categories. Seems a bit odd to have a booth with no products, doesn't it?

Rand_Race

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2002
iRobot

First of all:

>>Anyone can reply / add comments to news articles.<<

Is BS. Now, let's see if I can remember what I wrote.

Robotics! Yes, robots. Apple branded light utillity robots for the home and yard controlled via Airport by an OS X Mac. The first, iBot, will be an indoor floor maintenance droid that sweeps, vaccums, mops, and waxes around the home. The second, PowerBot, will be an intellegent lawn tractor that will do the same for the yard; mowing, leafing, trimming, even picks up sticks!

This is a wide open market that overworked people around the world have been yearning many years for. Apple, with it's fantastic brand name and industrial design, is a perfect match for this unplumbed market.

For a prediction not simply pulled out of my ass: I happen to know a major appliance manufacturer has been doing some very hush-hush, tell no one type of pre launch advertising. iFridge perhaps? I doubt it as one of my users would have clued me into anything that cool, but ya never know...

Djk515

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2001
Re: sumsugar

"Guys. its gonna be a very, very fast processor. Lets thin about what apple is saying.

1. "Big even by our standards"

Apples standards have for a long time been "Its not the cpu speed its other factors", "Its not just megahertz", and the "Megahertz Myth."

2. "Beyond the rumor sites, way beyond"

Rumor sites are expecting something to break the 1 Gig barrier.

I THINK APPLES GONNA ANNOUNCE 2 GIG PROCESSOR.

It has to be about the speed."

That's the smartest thing I've heard today. It does make a lot of sense. "Beyond the rumor sites." As in, beyond the 1 GHz barrier. And "big even by our standards." As in beyond what Apple conisders big (Megahertz Myth).

Uh Oh. MWSF will prob let a lot of people down if this is true tho now that they're hyped it up so much. Maybe we've responded in the wrong way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.