Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
I've read and it was mentioned in the movie, that if you are left handed and forced to write with your right hand, a stammer can develop. My Dad was forced to write with his right hand although he is left handed, but fortunately he did not develop a stutter. I am left handed but by the time I hit school in the 60's they had given up on forcing kids to make that switch. Did you grow out of it or took therapy?
I too was changed from left to right handed, but I retain some odd left handed quirks, like dealing cards (!), and incidentally I am left footed, too. I gradually trained myself out of the stammer, but it took many, many years, and I am still not entirely free of it. The one time I was completely free of it was during an acid trip when I was 20. It was an extraordinary, though all too short-lived, feeling of peace. Not exactly on the same level as addressing a nation, but I do remember vividly the crucifying agony of having to say grace before my entire school one lunchtime. I was nicknamed "Bertie" at school, strangely, by everybody, from the headmaster down...

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I too was changed from left to right handed, but I retain some odd left handed quirks, like dealing cards (!), and incidentally I am left footed, too. I gradually trained myself out of the stammer, but it took many, many years, and I am still not entirely free of it. The one time I was completely free of it was during an acid trip when I was 20. It was an extraordinary, though all too short-lived, feeling of peace. Not exactly on the same level as addressing a nation, but I do remember vividly the crucifying agony of having to say grace before my entire school one lunchtime. I was nicknamed "Bertie" at school, strangely, by everybody, from the headmaster down...

An ironic coincidence to the movie or more likely someone was up on their English history and was lacking in kindness, I presume.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I just saw Buried- whoa. I need a Disney movie now.

I heard that was intense. Does "whoa" mean worthwile? :)

The Town- I'm puzzled why this movie got a high rating at IMBD. It just did not click for me. I had no sympathy with Ben Aflecks character. Jeremy Remmer who played a wild man in The Hurt Locker is once again playing a wild man but in case a decidedly meaner one in this movie. Hopefully he does not get type cast.

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
With all the snow here just been watching movies as the office is closed.

Survival of the Damned

Buried

The American

Devil

Takers

Wall Street

Saw 3D - watching now, reason I am on Macrumors to avoid watching the set ups. The violence is just too much, so I need a distraction.

karsten

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2010
I just saw Buried- whoa. I need a Disney movie now.

yeah that was cool. just saw amnityville horror too with him in it that was ok

With all the snow here just been watching movies as the office is closed.

Survival of the Damned

Buried

The American

Devil

Takers

Wall Street

Saw 3D - watching now, reason I am on Macrumors to avoid watching the set ups. The violence is just too much, so I need a distraction.

devil and american were cool, glad m. night is back on the scary stuff:)

finally got around to no country for old men, that was great, loved the pace of it

statha

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2011
Just finished Unstoppable movie, and Currently watch Iron Man 2, Both are nice Action movie and great story, I like Action movie most and also having huge collection in action types of movie.

karsten

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2010
just watched the girl who kicked the hornet's nest. that was a great trilogy it's got me hooked on swedish movies. check out let the right one in that's pretty creepy

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
just watched the girl who kicked the hornet's nest. that was a great trilogy it's got me hooked on swedish movies. check out let the right one in that's pretty creepy

I know this comment will be criticized, but...
I have seen the first two 'Girl with/who' Swedish movies and they lack Hollywood polish. I've read all 3 books which were ok and am looking forward to the Danial Craig movie due in Dec11. :)

karsten

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2010
I know this comment will be criticized, but...
I have seen the first two 'Girl with/who' Swedish movies and they lack Hollywood polish. I've read all 3 books which were ok and am looking forward to the Danial Craig movie due in Dec11. :)

i found the pace refreshing. it was more story-focused with less extraneous stuff going on which was nice. what daniel craig movie is that?

karsten

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2010
Daniel Craig is starring in The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo due in Dec (I think).

you gotta be kidding. why..? what was wrong with the original? craig is pretty much a clone of nyquist as far as i can tell w/ mannerisms and stuff i dont see the point. i doubt they can capture the scandinavian death rocker look the original chick had either. definitely not a case where i want to see some watered-down american version

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I definitely agree with that! I heard they are making a sequel..?

Sounds like it.

you gotta be kidding. why..? what was wrong with the original? craig is pretty much a clone of nyquist as far as i can tell w/ mannerisms and stuff i dont see the point. i doubt they can capture the scandinavian death rocker look the original chick had either. definitely not a case where i want to see some watered-down american version

The original was not in English? Chance to make more money? More polished, big budget, movie? Watered down? That remains to be seen.

I recently watched: Black Swan, The Social Network, & Inception

How were they? I liked Inception.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.