Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

115759-the_daily_screenshots_500.jpg

With the conclusion of today's media event to introduce the new iPad news publication The Daily, the application has now gone live in the App Store.
Introducing The Daily - the first digital news publication with original content created every day exclusively for the iPad. Built from scratch by a team of top journalists and designers, The Daily covers the world: breaking news, sports, pop culture, entertainment, apps, games, technology, opinion, celebrity gossip and more.

The Daily has the depth and quality of a magazine but is delivered daily like a newspaper and updated in real-time like the web.

Great stories, photos, video, audio and graphics come alive the more you touch, swipe, tap and explore. The customized sports section allows you to follow your favorite teams' scores, pictures, headlines – and even players' tweets.
Those looking to download The Daily are being met with updated iTunes Store terms and conditions reflecting the addition of "In-App Subscriptions" as debuting in The Daily. After a free two-week period, subscriptions to The Daily will be available at $0.99 per week or $39.99 per year, automatically billed to users' iTunes Store accounts.

115759-in_app_subscriptions_terms_500.jpg

Article Link: 'The Daily' Available in App Store, In-App Subscriptions Now Supported

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Is there something I need to turn off to not get billed after the 2 week free trial? Or just delete the app the day before it ends?

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
It should be interesting to try out.

I think they should make a Mac App too though in the App Store.

The MacBook Air 11-inch is becoming an increasingly desirable product compared to an iPad.

Jeff42037

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2008
This app has crashed 5 times in a row after the initial graphic. I don't think it is quite ready for prime time yet.

Mjmar

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I won't see the app until later today, but it looks great from the pictures.

funlad

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2010
London. UK
Cannot download from UK iTunes account...

Any info as to when it will be available in the UK - and any ideas of a workaround to get it in the meantime...? I don't have a USA registered credit card needed to set up as USA iTunes account :(

DVDxR

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2009
Hrm. Anyone else notice it's marked as a Game Center enabled app? Maybe for the crossword?

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I like it. I'd pay for it if it beats my skepticism and doesn't turn out to be a Fox News clone. If they remain centrist and unbiased, I can afford 99¢ for an iPad purpose built news app.

That said, other players will most likely come forward with their own, at which point we can choose our favourite.

Verdict: I'll wait and see.

Last edited:

nep61

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2007
Now I just need to get myself an iPad! :D

The Future is now ... Save the trees!!!
No more printing of newspapers, magazines, books, or anything else for that matter....
All gone. Like antennas on top of roofs, replace by cables and satellites, Newspapers and most printed material is being replaced by the iPad Age.

Maybe not at this moment but, soon. :eek:

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
*sigh* can't believe I'm going to post this ...

"I'd buy that for a dollar"

DaSal

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2008
The Netherlands
No international release is seriously weak. I've been looking forward to trying it too. Besides the fact that no localization is needed for English-speaking countries such as Canada, the UK and Australia, many people in Europe consume English media all day long, and are perfectly capable of reading a publication I'm English.

I think everyone besides America being excluded from this self-proclaimed digital renaissance is borderline offensive.

jwt0001

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2008
I'll definitely download it and test it, but I want to see what kind of slant the journalists have. Also, will it mostly be real news, or will it full of the entertainment/celebrity type news that so many sites focus on.

Paulamir

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2008
Fox Lite?

So, am I just going to get a Murdock edited version of the news, like I get with Fox News?

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
It seems pretty cool, my only issue is that it seems to crash all the time...

At first I tossed it up to my iPad running the 4.3 beta but it seems other people are having similar problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.