Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Well I got the i7 970 installed and my rig caught fire. I'm so pissed right now. Now I just hope nothing of mine is screwed up, especially my new expensive 970 :mad: Gonna take it over to my friends to test it out along with my other components.

Don't know when I'll be back.

5a9c7448.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Sorry to hear about what happened. Hopefully the damage is limited.

I heard EVGA has good support, and they might RMA that for you. Hopefully they won't blame it on that 1600w PSU! :eek: If you do get a new motherboard, I'd suggest a Gigabyte. I know they aren't as beastly as EVGA but they seem very sturdy/durable. I almost went with an Asus but got a Gigabyte for my personal build.

Was your computer still running when it caught on fire? :eek:

alphaone

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2003
This is why sometimes I'm afraid of leaving my computer on when I'm not home for the day. Once I had one of my old PCs' PSU spit fire out the back when I was sitting right next to it. Unless there was a big power spike on the rest of the power plugs hopefully nothing else got fragged.

SciFrog

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
I guess I wasn't very keen on overclocking, seeing this, I will never overclock anything. Not worth putting my family at risk for that.

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Jan 13, 2008
Places
^I'm not so sure this particular problem was necessarily because of the OC. You probably have a similar risk leaving the computer on 24/7 at stock speeds.

Last edited:

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
The OC had nothing to do with it. It was a VRM failure on the motherboard plus lack of over current protection on the PSU. This particular motherboard was only 6+2 phase and couldn't handle the extra current needed for the 970. Getting the RMA and then will sell that. Should have my rig up within a week as I'm likely to pick up a Rampage III Extreme this week :D. Very very and might I add another very nice board. Selling the PSU too and picking up a Corair 850w. Want some nice hardware this time for the $600 CPU :p

My 970, memory, GPUs and believe it or not, PSU are all working fine. Tested everything last night. Yay!

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
glad not everything was ruined. so it was basically the 970 that caused the problem? the motherboard couldn't handle it?
Yeah the cheapie mobo couldn't handle it. I guess the EVGA SLI LE was a 6+2 phase and my power supply lacked OCP :eek: The 970 is a beast though, pulled too much current and the PSU wouldn't shut off by itself. Got something good coming soon :)

Ace134blue

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
The OC had nothing to do with it. It was a VRM failure on the motherboard plus lack of over current protection on the PSU. This particular motherboard was only 6+2 phase and couldn't handle the extra current needed for the 970. Getting the RMA and then will sell that. Should have my rig up within a week as I'm likely to pick up a Rampage III Extreme this week :D. Very very and might I add another very nice board. Selling the PSU too and picking up a Corair 850w. Want some nice hardware this time for the $600 CPU :p

My 970, memory, GPUs and believe it or not, PSU are all working fine. Tested everything last night. Yay!

It is not the motherboard nor the VRMs. Most EVGA X58s have Digital VRMs which is better than analog. 6+2 digital vrms > than 10+2 analog.

100% sure its that piece of ***** ultra psu, i thought everyone knew that they sucked.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Yeah the cheapie mobo couldn't handle it. I guess the EVGA SLI LE was a 6+2 phase and my power supply lacked OCP :eek: The 970 is a beast though, pulled too much current and the PSU wouldn't shut off by itself. Got something good coming soon :)

It is not the motherboard nor the VRMs. Most EVGA X58s have Digital VRMs which is better than analog. 6+2 digital vrms > than 10+2 analog.

100% sure its that piece of ***** ultra psu, i thought everyone knew that they sucked.

hmm. you know i have a friend with a 970 that blew up 2 power supplies (no fire though). he then upgraded to a better psu and hasn't had a problem since. weird

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Ok back up and running stock clock for now. Till I learn this new board, I'll begin to overclock as my 970 will do 4.2 at around 1.23v :D.

Gave everyone a week to catch up but I guess you lost your chance now :p

Ace134blue

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
hmm. you know i have a friend with a 970 that blew up 2 power supplies (no fire though). he then upgraded to a better psu and hasn't had a problem since. weird

Yes, the PSU could not give enough amperage to the 970, i am sure it has multiple rails, which was the problem with the OPs PSU, which is also a cheap brand too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.