Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yanksrock100

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 30, 2010
San Diego
Is there anyway to do this thats not hacking/and or illegal?:apple:
Also, does anyone know where I could get the Lion wallpaper (mountain)?

Thanks

SDub90

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
Long Island
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

No. You have to pay the $100/yr fee for the Mac dev program.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Legally? No. Illegally, most likely in a few hours.

Most likely not. You need to enter a unique redemption code from your developer account in the Mac App Store. And then any computer you install it on has to be logged in and authorized with your App Store account.

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
wel

i cant post links here but it has been posted online, not sure how its going to work as far as authentication goes and all but being the first release id hold off for a few days

Ahheck01

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2006
You always run a risk trying it without going through the legit dev process. If you choose that risk, you can easily find links via search.twitter.com

Pinksteady

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2008
Developer preview has been posted online. Search for it if you really want.

Yeah the image has been uploaded online. However I'm still unsure about the activation. You have to enter a unique redemption code in the App Store to download the preview from Apple, but downloading elsewhere skips that step so is there a further activation required once Lion is installed or can anyone just install Lion once they have got hold of a copy?

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
All I will tell you is that it has been cracked, and tested. There are at least two torrents, and at least two direct HTTP links, and one direct FTP link.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
And how do you find Lion then, are you happy with it? :D

So far, so good. But no Dropbox, and Parallels Desktop 6.

It seems to be good so far, had Mail 5 crash this early morning, and things seem stable.

Most of my apps run :), e.g. Zend Studio, Textual, Microsoft Office 2011, Keynote. iTunes library hasn't suffered.

After the initial boot, sound was defective. A reboot cured this.

AAPLaday

Aug 6, 2008
Manchester UK
So far, so good. But no Dropbox, and Parallels Desktop 6.

It seems to be good so far, had Mail 5 crash this early morning, and things seem stable.

Most of my apps run :), e.g. Zend Studio, Textual, Microsoft Office 2011, Keynote. iTunes library hasn't suffered.

After the initial boot, sound was defective. A reboot cured this.

Sweet. My 1st gen alu iMac is going to be replaced soon. Might wait till Lion comes out and pick up one of the new iMacs then. Im assuming it wont be £30 like Snow Leopard.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Sweet. My 1st gen alu iMac is going to be replaced soon. Might wait till Lion comes out and pick up one of the new iMacs then. Im assuming it wont be £30 like Snow Leopard.

Go up a bit, and you'll probably get there :)

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
and make your computer useless after one year. go Microsoft

Giving away a beta version of the OS that expires after a year is better than charging $100 for a beta version of the OS. I know, they're the dev account not the beta itself, but I'm talking about regular users (eg non-developers).

Anyone who willingly keeps a beta version of an OS is a crackhead, but MS has to impose a time limit because otherwise people wont upgrade and then complain how buggy it is.

tl;dr: Microsoft's betas are free, Apple's aren't. Time limits are irrelevant.

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
All I will tell you is that it has been cracked, and tested. There are at least two torrents, and at least two direct HTTP links, and one direct FTP link.

It is not cracked. Inside the legally downloaded file is a .dmg, that .dmg requires has been shared and it can be installed from without any restriction, online checks etc.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
Why would you want it anyway? It's buggy and slow. Just wait for the final version.

csnplt

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2008
Chicago Area
I wouldn't download the pirated version if I were you. It's very possible that other malicious programs have been added. There's a very real possibility of having your information stolen / other bad stuff.

Plus, it's illegal. Just join the dev program for $100. This might actually be cheaper than buying lion once it comes out (most past OS X releases have been priced at $129). I'm pretty sure you'll get access to the golden master version, too, once it's ready.

axu539

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2010
I wouldn't download the pirated version if I were you. It's very possible that other malicious programs have been added. There's a very real possibility of having your information stolen / other bad stuff.

Plus, it's illegal. Just join the dev program for $100. This might actually be cheaper than buying lion once it comes out (most past OS X releases have been priced at $129). I'm pretty sure you'll get access to the golden master version, too, once it's ready.

Can you confirm that you get access to the public release (with regular updates and all) if you sign up for the dev program? I'm itching to pull the trigger on that right now, but only if I can get out of beta and into public release afterward.

csnplt

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2008
Chicago Area
Can you confirm that you get access to the public release (with regular updates and all) if you sign up for the dev program? I'm itching to pull the trigger on that right now, but only if I can get out of beta and into public release afterward.

I just signed up for the dev program myself. There are download links for the full, final versions of Snow Leopard and Snow Leopard Server, so I assume that once Lion is available to the general public, the final release will also be available, free for mac dev program members.

It seems to me like $99 is a great deal, especially with a free lion download for all of your machines.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
It is not cracked. Inside the legally downloaded file is a .dmg, that .dmg requires has been shared and it can be installed from without any restriction, online checks etc.

I am saying that the legally downloaded file has been cracked, and the installer checked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.