Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rwh202

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2010
UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.1; en-us; Droid Build/FRG83D) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

We had a huge day yesterday! 879,000 points in a single day!
Can we hit a million points in a day?
Some more good news: at this rate, we are a week away from overtaking a team ahead of us, and less than a month from passing two more! Our biggest threat behind us is 8 months away, but by that time we will have passed at least 5 teams ahead of us. Great job guys! Keep it up!

Yeah, we seem to have reversed the drop. The trend is really obvious if you look at our weekly and monthly charts on extremeoverclocking:

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_summary.php?s=&t=3446

I've added a second i7 2600k for another 50k PPD and a new quad core MBP is coming tomorrow, but I don't intend to use that for folding long term.
Also, we've just entered another cold snap here, so the GPUs can run for another week or so!

Keep it up!
Rob

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Yeah, we seem to have reversed the drop. The trend is really obvious if you look at our weekly and monthly charts on extremeoverclocking:

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_summary.php?s=&t=3446

I've added a second i7 2600k for another 50k PPD and a new quad core MBP is coming tomorrow, but I don't intend to use that for folding long term.
Also, we've just entered another cold snap here, so the GPUs can run for another week or so!

Keep it up!
Rob

that's awesome! you'll have to let us know how that quad mbp does! i wonder how much wattage it would use also?

but yeah, you and whiterabbit are carrying us right now!

rwh202

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2010
UK
I'm in.

2009 Mac Pro Octo 2.26 reporting for duty.

Cool! Just a pity that bigadv has gone on hold under OSX until the a5 core gets ported over.
You should still get some serious points on the normal smp units though.

alphaone

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2003
I'll have my new i7-2600k computer coming online sometime next week after I complete its construction and thorough testing (ahem.. overclocking..). All of the parts for it are arriving today (including the new revised SB motherboard finally!), but except for unfortunately the ram is coming via USPS and is currently in Ontario, CA bound for northern CA so it may be here on saturday but I'm not optimistic. I'm pretty excited for this actually, this will be (relatively speaking) the fastest computer I've ever had.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I'm in.

2009 Mac Pro Octo 2.26 reporting for duty.

alright! that machine should put out some good points! as mentioned before, there's no bigadv for Mac OS X right now, only windows and linux. so if you are running snow leopard, you can still run the smp client, and with a passkey, you'll still get a bonus

I'll have my new i7-2600k computer coming online sometime next week after I complete its construction and thorough testing (ahem.. overclocking..). All of the parts for it are arriving today (including the new revised SB motherboard finally!), but except for unfortunately the ram is coming via USPS and is currently in Ontario, CA bound for northern CA so it may be here on saturday but I'm not optimistic. I'm pretty excited for this actually, this will be (relatively speaking) the fastest computer I've ever had.

great! from what i hear, you should get a nice overclock on that! let us know how it goes!

alphaone

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2003
great! from what i hear, you should get a nice overclock on that! let us know how it goes!

We'll see. I'm hopeful for maybe 4.4. We'll see how enthusiastic the cpu is about doing that.. I'm going to be using a CM Hyper 212+ which isn't the absolute best cooler you can buy but it's also not something ridiculous like $80. Still, it will annihilate the hilariously tiny stock intel cooler for sure.

Does anyone know if the AMD 6970 is compatible with GPU2? I can't really find any conclusive information on it and of course I can't try it myself yet. Some people say forcing ati_r800 works but others don't.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
We'll see. I'm hopeful for maybe 4.4. We'll see how enthusiastic the cpu is about doing that.. I'm going to be using a CM Hyper 212+ which isn't the absolute best cooler you can buy but it's also not something ridiculous like $80. Still, it will annihilate the hilariously tiny stock intel cooler for sure.

Does anyone know if the AMD 6970 is compatible with GPU2? I can't really find any conclusive information on it and of course I can't try it myself yet. Some people say forcing ati_r800 works but others don't.

4.4 would be great. you should easily hit over 4 though. i've heard intel's cooler is better with this one, you'll have to let us know.

i haven't used an AMD card for folding, so i can't really comment. i guess you'll have to share your experience with this one! ;)

alphaone

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2003
Well the one that came with my chip was this one:
189183d1294625396-i7-2600k-stock-cooler-question-img_0656.jpg

So I wouldn't have any big expectations for that. Good thing I'm not using it.

rwh202

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2010
UK
Well the one that came with my chip was this one:

So I wouldn't have any big expectations for that. Good thing I'm not using it.

Yeah, that's what came with mine - its the same as what came with all the previous socket 1156 CPUs by the look of it.

I think some of the early review samples did come with a better cooler - a tower cooler like the one from the hexacore 1366 CPUs. It's a shame they didn't continue to supply them with the k series as standard.

Anyway, good luck with the overclock. That CM cooler should be plenty good enough.

All the best
Rob

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Yeah the one that came with my 970 is a monster. I probably should use it just for the hell of it as it would probably be better than the H50 that I'm currently using lol. I've heard of people overclocking high with the stock cooler.

I'll snap a pic of it.

alphaone

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2003
So after spending all morning putting the beast together, it's ALIVEEEEEEE! It's currently installing windows. Only things so far is that the power led isn't lighting up on the case (probably just plugged it in backwards on accident, will have to look at that), and the cpu temps seemed a little high. They were like 40C in the bios which seems high, we'll have to see how it is once everything is installed and running as it should. Bios may need to be updated too but I don't know yet.

Edit: Now that windows is installed it looks like the cpu is idling at 27C. Sweet! Now if only I can coax my old usb wireless network thingy to work. It works, except it's very very very slow even though it says 54mbps. It was sometimes doing that with my old computer too.. It may be dying. I've had terrible luck with wireless network access on windows.

Edit2: USB wireless adapter is definitely fubar.. oh well, ordered a new pci card for the computer. Been updating and testing this thing all day, and I'm very impressed with it. It can be absolutely silent at idle and barely audible with the cpu fan at max. Overclocked it to 4.4 by setting the max multiplier to x44, and left the vcore on auto. Set the smart fan target to 60C and let it go. It maintains it no problem at load. Been stress testing for a while and it's totally stable so far. It's almost insulting to me how easy it was to overclock this thing, complete child's play. I didn't even have to go into the bios (thank you UEFI).

Last edited:

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Congratulations!

Yeah just swap the connector and then your Power activity light will work. I did that too on my case and both my power and HDD connectors were backwards so I just had to flip them and it worked.

alphaone

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2003
Definitely won't be doing GPU folding on this guy. The forcegpu ati_r800 flag does let it work and it goes fast, about 1:40 per 1% on p5733 but the fan throttles up past 50% on the card and it is pretty noticeable (sounds like a little vacuum). And it steals about 12% of the available cpu power. Plus it burns a lot of electricity. I'll do my oneunit and get back to cpu only. I'll let you know how that goes later.

alphaone

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2003
Wow just completed my first bigadv for an unbelievable 70,046 points. I can't even run fah all the time either, otherwise it would have been even higher (it causes a rubber banding effect in some games where they battle for cpu cycles).

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Wow just completed my first bigadv for an unbelievable 70,046 points. I can't even run fah all the time either, otherwise it would have been even higher (it causes a rubber banding effect in some games where they battle for cpu cycles).

nice! what speed are you running at now? still 4.4 ghz?

alphaone

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2003
nice! what speed are you running at now? still 4.4 ghz?

4.5 now. Higher than that it starts to become less and less efficient. I can run at full load at minimal increased heat and power consumption over the stock 3.8 turbo. 4.6 and up on this chip starts to require more juice.

alphaone

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2003
Lame! I just had an Early_Unit_End on the p6900 I was 60% though. What a waste. Must have been a bad WU because this computer has been rock stable so far, not so much as a hiccup. And to add insult to injury the replacement WU is a 2684, the slowest bigadv there is.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.