Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mumblefish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2011
Boston, MA
Hello Everyone,

First post here. I am a software developer, however I'm running into a slight problem. For my next project I will be using Python, but Mac OS X seems to ship only with 2.x. I'm wondering if anyone knows the specifications (in terms of software) for Mac OS X Lion. Will it ship with Pythin 3.x? Also what will be the OpenGL guidelines for Lion?

Thanks in Advanced.
-MumbleFish

Hansr

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2007
I haven't come across anyone building proper software with Python 3.x everyone is still on the 2.x branch. It may start changing now since they stopped keeping 2.x in sync in terms of fixes etc.

But even so why would it matter what ships with the OS, you can just bundle the newer libraries or require that people install it before hand.

Apple generally doesn't comment on the versions that ship with the OS for minor libraries so gauging them from the dev builds is most likely your best option.

The OpenGL support will most likely not be clear until close to actual release.

mumblefish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2011
Boston, MA
I haven't come across anyone building proper software with Python 3.x everyone is still on the 2.x branch. It may start changing now since they stopped keeping 2.x in sync in terms of fixes etc.

But even so why would it matter what ships with the OS, you can just bundle the newer libraries or require that people install it before hand.

Apple generally doesn't comment on the versions that ship with the OS for minor libraries so gauging them from the dev builds is most likely your best option.

The OpenGL support will most likely not be clear until close to actual release.

@Hansr, there are many things in Python 3.x that aren't achievable with Python 2.x also note that having the possible users install extra 'things' is unacceptable. However this isn't your problem and thank you for your info.

I found something in google that says Lion will only support up to 3.2OpenGL, but no confirmation yet.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
Hello Everyone,

First post here. I am a software developer, however I'm running into a slight problem. For my next project I will be using Python, but Mac OS X seems to ship only with 2.x. I'm wondering if anyone knows the specifications (in terms of software) for Mac OS X Lion. Will it ship with Pythin 3.x? Also what will be the OpenGL guidelines for Lion?

Thanks in Advanced.
-MumbleFish

It is highly unlikely that Apple will ship Python 3 with Mac OS X Lion.

Apple have stated that Lion will officially support OpenGL 3.2 but they may well implement some of the newer features via extensions, they just won't claim compatibility with the newer standards. That is what they did with Snow Leopard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.