Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lakkadshaw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2010
Hello eveyone,
please help me out with this one.
Should I buy a macbook pro 13" starting model($1200) + External monitor or should I get the macbook pro 15".
I am low on budget, and for the 15" I will have to expand my budget a little, if it is really worth it($1700) then I am ready to expand my budget.
Please help me out.

Christina1971

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2007
It would be helpful to know what kinds of things you plan on doing with the computer. You might also try searching previous threads because I know this question has come up many times before.

lakkadshaw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2010
It would be helpful to know what kinds of things you plan on doing with the computer. You might also try searching previous threads because I know this question has come up many times before.

I am a computer engg. student.
I'll be doing C++, Java, Android and Web Development(php, Ruby, Python).
I never bought a mac before and this will be my first Mac, and as I am buying a Mac will also do programming in Objective-C for Mac and for iPhone.
Basically I require a computer for programming and internet.

I have search the forums but I a have found threads regarding to older version of Macbook pro 13".

jordanr1186

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2011
simi valley, ca
I would go with the macbook pro 15" and an external screen from someone else other than apple(unless you can also afford a 27" apple monitor which is beautiful), with an ergotron desk mounthttp://www.ergotron.com/Products/tabid/65/PRDID/351/language/en-US/Default.aspx for the monitor. Two monitors are wonderful, and helps productivity tremendously. I have a 13" macbook, and I wish I had a 15" macbook pro, but I was on a budget as well. It works, so if you really don't want to increase the budget, a 13" with a external screen will work, because that's what I have. :) I think bigger is always better if you can afford it with monitors.

My setup:
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook?mco=MTM3NjU3MDM
http://www.ergotron.com/Products/tabid/65/PRDID/351/language/en-US/Default.aspx
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236102&cm_re=asus_24%22-_-24-236-102-_-Product

Last edited:

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I am a computer engg. student.
I'll be doing C++, Java, Android and Web Development(php, Ruby, Python).
I never bought a mac before and this will be my first Mac, and as I am buying a Mac will also do programming in Objective-C for Mac and for iPhone.
Basically I require a computer for programming and internet.

I have search the forums but I a have found threads regarding to older version of Macbook pro 13".

I don't know anything about coding … but I'm curious if you can do ALL those on OS X - especially if class is geared to Windows based machines - without issue. If you cannot and require VMWare Fusion or Parallels Desktop to use Windows then any of the current machines Core i5/i7 will do you well.

For your budget … I say hold out just a tad - let your dough interest for 30days to help the budget, and keep an eye on the refurbished store pricing you may luck out on the 15" pricing by -$100US.

Best to get the 15" (low end) and use whatever external monitor you have for now. down the road then get the mount+LCD.

Currently the Apple Display does not support Thunderbolt (so no daisy chaining the high data speeds), only MiniDisplay port - storage performance using the native drives is at a premium.

Mikey7c8

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2009
Montreal, Canada
I don't know anything about coding …

Well look you're not wrong. :)

To the OP: Depends on your work environment. If you're always on the go (working from the library, coffee shops, and etc) then definitely the 15. If you're most often working from home, then you'll want an external monitor no matter which laptop you get. FWIW, even the 13" is heavy enough if you combine it with books and carry it around long enough.

willieva

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2010
Ditto what Mikey7c8 said. Plus if you're going to be programming on the go and get the 15", give serious consideration to getting high-res, plus maybe matte display as well. My 1920x1200 15" can feel restricted sometimes, particularly while programming android. Having an editor, an emulator, and a window with adb logcat running it in takes up a lot of space.

lakkadshaw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2010
Right now I can afford a core2duo macbook pro 15".

PHP:
Originally released mid 2009
15.4-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
4GB memory
500GB hard drive
8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
SD Card Slot
Built-in 7-hour battery
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 512MB
Illuminated keyboard

which cost around $1,439, the core i7 model(refurb) cost $1,599.00 which is too much, my budget to buy a laptop is of $1200 and I can expand it to $1439 but not till $1,600.
So should I get a core i5 macbook pro 13"(new) or core2duo macbook pro 15"(refurb).

And I'll buy a non apple monitor,and jordanr1186 thanks for suggesting a mount it will be really cool.

akkkmed

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2010
I vote you get the new 13" Core i5 MBP. I just switched from last year's 15" (base Core i5) model to this year's 13" base model. The difference in screen size isn't that dramatic. I like the smaller size and less weight.

The i5 will be plenty powerful for what you need.

*Edit: Plus the 13" MBP will be $1100, assuming you can use your student discount... (plus tax)

lakkadshaw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2010
Tell me the final answer should I get new Macbook pro 13" low-end or new Macbook pro 15" low-end.

ThaDoggg

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2010
Burlington, Canada
The 13" low end will suffice. Unless you want to play games on it just go with the 13" and invest in a nice IPS external monitor with the money saved.

stonyc

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2005
Michigan
Can you wait for the Back to School promotion? If so, you'll get a free iPod Touch after rebate which you can then sell and apply towards your computer budget. These are just example numbers, but:

$1200 for the latop
$200 for the iPod Touch
-$200 for the iPod Touch rebate
-$200 for selling the iPod Touch (YMMV)
---------------------------------------------
$1000 net cost for your new laptop (compared to $1200 paid for the laptop outright).
*not including taxes and whatnot if applicable.

Mirai 11

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2005
Why not the high end 13 inch?
Don't be swayed by the bigger screen of the 15 inch and the graphics card.
The 13 inch will suffice.
You know it makes sense :)

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
I use a 13" Macbook (original Aluminum, not "Pro") for programming. I use it with a 22" external monitor.

I don't feel that a 15" display provides enough real-estate for most programming tasks. It will do in a pinch, and the 13" will do about as well in a pinch.

So, go with the 13" for greater portability.

I believe the very latest model (not sure if available yet?) will support two external monitors. I wouldn't try to do any kind of programming with less than 2 big monitors. (I currently use one 22" monitor on OSX and 2 22" monitors on a Linux system. I do all my web browsing, PDF, etc. on the Linux system. I use the Linux keyboard/mouse, linked to the Macbook with Synergy keyboard/mouse sharing software.)

You can get a Matrox box for older Macbooks that will display across two (or even three) monitors, but I haven't read much good about it.

Vantage Point

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2010
New Jersey
I use a 15" and a external. But, I use the external only when I am working on my photography, for everything else the 15" is just great. I did have a 13" and it was a bit cramped but still good. If I needed a lot of portability I would get the 13" but I need only occasional portability so the 15" is the sweet spot for my needs - mostly stationary with occasional trips.

Also to free up some real estate I keep my dock on the side, not the bottom - it really maximizes my ability to scroll.

stordoff

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2009
I'm a current computer science student. The 13" feels very cramped to code on, but is manageable. If you do most of your work "on the move", I'd go for the 15". If it's mostly going to where you could have an external monitor, I'd go for the 13"+external.

I've found that the 13" MacBook with a 24" external is pretty much ideal for me.

Vantage Point

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2010
New Jersey
Thanks for your replies!!
should I get an apple monitor?

The only advantage of a ACD is that it works well as a docking station so you can easily keep you MBP charging... Other than that the monitor you use is personal preference. I prefer non-glossy and not so high resolution as that is much easier on my eyes.

lakkadshaw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2010
Can you wait for the Back to School promotion? If so, you'll get a free iPod Touch after rebate which you can then sell and apply towards your computer budget. These are just example numbers, but:

$1200 for the latop
$200 for the iPod Touch
-$200 for the iPod Touch rebate
-$200 for selling the iPod Touch (YMMV)
---------------------------------------------
$1000 net cost for your new laptop (compared to $1200 paid for the laptop outright).
*not including taxes and whatnot if applicable.

During which month they provide "Back to School" promotion?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.