Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Bozola said:
Does the desktop rotate as well when you rotate the monitor?

That would be cool....

I called Apple about my PB 12" rev. B, and was told that OS X does not support it. That I should check with Nvidia for pivot support. Nvidia said that with OEM video cards, the pivot support is up to the vendor, in this case Apple. :eek:

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
_bnkr612 said:
What about taking that beast of black monitor bezel and taking off the dell badge and paint it silver, professionally of course (nail polish would work too I guess) I think it would compete. I think the black brings it back to what Apple does not want. Would you want S. Jobs walking into your home and seeing an ugly dell (M. Dell is a Bush supporter) monitor next to such fine work of a mac?

I am going to go with a no.

None-the-less, Apple should drop the price on their monitor!

Cheers.

<joke> S. Jobs can put it where the sun doesn't shine as far as I am concerned. </joke>

If he would have prices that were more reasonable on monitors and accessories, I might keep my money with Apple. With new displays starting at $1299, Apple is out of touch with consumer needs IMO. Even if they offered a 17" wide screen for $700, they might have seen my $. Sorry for the rant

For my set up the black will look great with MS wireless IR keyboard and mouse (a bargain when on sale for $39).

Toreador93

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2003
I GOT MINE!!!

Now I just need a computer to hook it up to (currently using Dell laptop). I'm letting my friend borrow it until I get a new computer.

I ordered it on Dec 3, and it arrived Dec 7. There are no bright spots that I could tell, and no dead or stuck pixels!! I forgot to look at the warrantee info, I'll take a look at it the next time I go over my friend's place.
Colors look wonderful, viewing angle is great, and the bezel is not as cheap as I thought. Mind you, it's no Cinema Display, but it's better than the plastic used on my laptop. The metal in the stand is sturdy, but I wish it wasn't covered with cheap plastic. But I'll look past it for the price.

The rotating desktop doesn't seem to do so automatically with my friend's ATI 7500, but the video card has the ability to rotate it using a shortcut-key. Supposedly there is a driver that will allow automatic rotation, but it's not supplied on the driver CD (dell =! intelligent) and we couldn't get the driver we found online to work.

Overall, I'm super happy about my purchase!

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Toreador93 said:
I GOT MINE!!!

Now I just need a computer to hook it up to (currently using Dell laptop). I'm letting my friend borrow it until I get a new computer.

I ordered it on Dec 3, and it arrived Dec 7. There are no bright spots that I could tell, and no dead or stuck pixels!! I forgot to look at the warrantee info, I'll take a look at it the next time I go over my friend's place.
Colors look wonderful, viewing angle is great, and the bezel is not as cheap as I thought. Mind you, it's no Cinema Display, but it's better than the plastic used on my laptop. The metal in the stand is sturdy, but I wish it wasn't covered with cheap plastic. But I'll look past it for the price.

The rotating desktop doesn't seem to do so automatically with my friend's ATI 7500, but the video card has the ability to rotate it using a shortcut-key. Supposedly there is a driver that will allow automatic rotation, but it's not supplied on the driver CD (dell =! intelligent) and we couldn't get the driver we found online to work.

Overall, I'm super happy about my purchase!

Congrats! Looks like you got one of the last ones that day. I ordered mine late on the same day and I'll have to wait till the 17th they tell me. :(

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
OSX does not support monitor rotation.

The Dell white are too bright for print work and will cause the 'designer' to under-compensate the actual image brightness. be sure to check things on another monitor if you plan to use this for professional jobs.

good price. nice find.

peace.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
neut said:
OSX does not support monitor rotation.

The Dell white are too bright for print work and will cause the 'designer' to under-compensate the actual image brightness. be sure to check things on another monitor if you plan to use this for professional jobs.

good price. nice find.

peace.

Add to that the poor Dell support before and after the sale. Spent 1/2 hour just to make the sale on the 2005FPW. Not to mention almost 2 hours on a separate sale that did not go through. I am thinking that despite the deal on the 2005FPW, Dell is a non-starter IMO.

DELL=DULL based on my experience in the past couple weeks.

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
Chip NoVaMac said:
Add to that the poor Dell support before and after the sale. Spent 1/2 hour just to make the sale on the 2005FPW. Not to mention almost 2 hours on a separate sale that did not go through. I am thinking that despite the deal on the 2005FPW, Dell is a non-starter IMO.

and we ask why Apple costs so much... :D j/k

i agree about you previous statement on the 17"... i'd be much happpier if they offered a 17" wide. that 20" is a bit too rich for my blood. i now have a formac 17 and a apple 17". the apple is better IMO. the Formac is a bit too bright... and after a few years has shown the ring around the rosey so to speak (the halo effect). it's also a bit wide aroung the base.

wish i could afford a new apple 20". :(

peace.

tinydancer

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2004
North Carolina
For those of you who are gaming with the 2005, is there any ghosting? Does the resolution in games fill the screen and if not are you able to configure the game's resolution throught the consloe? I'm thinking of getting one of these but I don't want a widescreen montior if I can't fill the screen with content. IN games ive played if the particular resoulution is not in the default list I can alter the res in the console. Liking the 2005.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Chip NoVaMac said:

I ordered online one morning, that night I got a call to arrange delivery, 3 days later and it's on my desk looking pretty awesome.

Not too shabby.

happo

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2003
Finland
Just one thing (sorry, if this has already been posted). Apple's 20" Cinema, iMac G5 20" and this Dell 2005FPW use exactly the same LCD panel from LG/Philips: the LM201W01. A friend of mine has opened all off these three and they all had that same panel.

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
happo said:
Just one thing (sorry, if this has already been posted). Apple's 20" Cinema, iMac G5 20" and this Dell 2005FPW use exactly the same LCD panel from LG/Philips: the LM201W01. A friend of mine has opened all off these three and they all had that same panel.

do you mean the current display? or the last version? the current aluminium 20" list slightly different specs (contrast and viewing angle)...

BTW- there is a 20" aluminum in the refurb section; cheaper than the old 20" which is also on sal in the Sale section (1099/1199).

peace.

illustratorDavi

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2004
North Yorkshire
Hi

Is the tilt on the Dell screen smooth like the Apple aluminium display ? Most screens seem really plastic'y and fragile when you try to tilt them.

Also can anyone else confirm that you cannot view dvi and vga inputs onscreen at the same time - seems a bit of an stupid over-sight

Thanks
David

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.