Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Mar 25, 2011, 11:35 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Still Seeking to 'Radically Improve' Maps for iOS

As noticed by 9 to 5 Mac, Apple has posted a new job listing for an iOS Maps Application Developer who can help "radically improve" the Maps application and other location-based services.
Quote:
Come work for the team that revolutionized the mobile technology industry as it continues define what computing looks like in a post-PC era. The Maps team is looking for an exceptional developer to join us in our mission to radically improve how people interact with maps and location-based services.
The posting is reminiscent of a late 2009 job listing looking for a candidate to help "take Maps to the next level". Apple has also beefed up its maps, navigation and location-based services capabilities with the acquisition of Placebase and Poly9 over the past couple of years. Combining those acquisitions with the moving of location services in-house last year and other job postings for navigation-related positions, it certainly appears that Apple is making a full-scale push into the area.

From the very beginning, Apple has relied on Google's technology for maps and location-based services on iOS devices. But as relations between the two companies have soured among increasing competitiveness in mobile devices, Apple is clearly trying to distance itself from Google somewhat by developing its own unique offerings.

Article Link: Apple Still Seeking to 'Radically Improve' Maps for iOS
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2011, 11:38 AM   #2
Vantage Point
macrumors 65816

I think google has a lock on the map thing. I can't see apple employees driving around remapping the world to get their own data base
Old Mar 25, 2011, 11:40 AM   #3
Consultant
macrumors G5

That'll be great. It's not been improved much since its introduction.

For example, it has no bicycle route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantage Point View Post
I think google has a lock on the map thing. I can't see apple employees driving around remapping the world to get their own data base
Google limits ability to use maps for navigation.

There are other options though.
Consultant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2011, 11:43 AM   #4
FakeWozniak
macrumors 6502

Apple has a way to remove dependencies on other companies.
I expect them to bring in Meteorologists to replace Yahoo Weather! :-)
FakeWozniak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2011, 11:43 AM   #5
WiiDSmoker
macrumors 65816

So basically Apple will still have the crummy Maps.app on iOS 5.0
WiiDSmoker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2011, 11:44 AM   #6
gkarris
macrumors 604

This may only happen if they get rid of the consumer-quality GPS receiver in it. Would raise the price of the handset, though.

It's more than likely going to be the use of their own software (iMaps?) rather than use Google which has their own Mobile OS now.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 11:45 AM   #7
Cynicalone
macrumors 68040

They need to improve the worthless notification system in iOS more than the maps.
Cynicalone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2011, 11:46 AM   #8
b166er
macrumors 68020

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see iOS 5 offering us too much at this point.

I wouldn't mind a new map app- yesterday I got lost, my car GPS sent me on a goose chase, and my iPhone didn't help much.
b166er is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2011, 11:47 AM   #9
acslater017
macrumors 6502a

I'm getting more and more curious how iOS 5 will turn out. I dunno if these enhancements will make it in time for summer, but I'm imagining centralized voice control for doing everyday tasks, a la Siri.

"Is it going to rain tonight?"
"How is traffic? Find another route"
"Book me a table for 2 at 7 tonight"
"What movies are showing tonight?"

These sorts of things should be accessible, and actionable, from the Voice Control interface. Apple did just add 20 new spoken languages to OS X Perhaps it will be accessible as an API to third party developers. This would really change the way I use my phone, especially while on the road.
acslater017 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2011, 11:47 AM   #10
TonyLukes3
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynicalone View Post
They need to improve the worthless notification system in iOS more than the maps.
Thank you, so true!
TonyLukes3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2011, 11:50 AM   #11
someone28624
macrumors 6502a

Please' turn-by-turn directions! I do love the TomTom app though.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 11:50 AM   #12
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiiDSmoker
So basically Apple will still have the crummy Maps.app on iOS 5.0
Not necessarily, as the article says, Apple posted a job for Maps in 2009.
Cougarcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2011, 11:51 AM   #13
acslater017
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by b166er View Post
I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see iOS 5 offering us too much at this point.

I wouldn't mind a new map app- yesterday I got lost, my car GPS sent me on a goose chase, and my iPhone didn't help much.
I'm just wondering when they're going to unveil it! If I'm not mistaken, March/April is usually the announcement period, with a launch in June-July.

They haven't announced anything yet, which either means that they're working on something HUGE, or it's behind schedule
acslater017 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2011, 11:51 AM   #14
walnuts
macrumors 6502

Yeah- this looks to be a bummer for us folks with iOS devices. Apple will have to devote a bunch of resources just to bring their own maps implementation to be as good as google's, the better version on android not withstanding. As someone else pointed out, apple will still need to get maps from somewhere, no matter how good their implementation.
walnuts is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2011, 11:53 AM   #15
Eolian
macrumors regular

Good.
Eolian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2011, 11:57 AM   #16
Dr McKay
macrumors 68040

Send a message via MSN to Dr McKay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr McKay
Hopefully iOS 5 should be amazing.

iMaps
All new notification system (Like Androids, but with Apples touch)
Old Mar 25, 2011, 11:57 AM   #17
Charlie Sheen
Banned

Apple is getting more and more loke microsoft. They now want their wn maps app.
Charlie Sheen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2011, 11:59 AM   #18
mikeinternet
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to mikeinternet
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Fingers crossed for bike directions and route choices for public transit.
mikeinternet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2011, 12:02 PM   #19
ppilone
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post
I'm just wondering when they're going to unveil it! If I'm not mistaken, March/April is usually the announcement period, with a launch in June-July.

They haven't announced anything yet, which either means that they're working on something HUGE, or it's behind schedule
I've been thinking about that: remember when there were rumors of OS X delays because the Mac team was pulled onto the iOS team in order to get 3.0 out? I'm wondering if the opposite is happening now - the iOS team has been pulled onto the Lion team in order to get Lion ready for a summer launch. This could be the reason we're not hearing much about iOS 5.
iPhone
ppilone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2011, 12:02 PM   #20
b166er
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post
I'm getting more and more curious how iOS 5 will turn out. I dunno if these enhancements will make it in time for summer, but I'm imagining centralized voice control for doing everyday tasks, a la Siri.

"Is it going to rain tonight?"
"How is traffic? Find another route"
"Book me a table for 2 at 7 tonight"
"What movies are showing tonight?"

These sorts of things should be accessible, and actionable, from the Voice Control interface. Apple did just add 20 new spoken languages to OS X Perhaps it will be accessible as an API to third party developers. This would really change the way I use my phone, especially while on the road.
This would be cool if you didn't have to hold in the home button. What I mean is, if I'm already holding the phone, then holding in the home button, then speaking the command- I could have just launched the weather app in that amount of time. I want to be able to have the phone sitting on my desk while I'm getting ready for work and shout commands at it from across the room. A little too star-trek, I know, but that's the only time I think I'd ever use a voice command. And obviously, while driving.
b166er is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2011, 12:02 PM   #21
Eddyisgreat
macrumors 601

I wonder how difficult it would be find an individual with the talents needed both on the Software Engineering side & the GIS (Geographic Information Systems) side. Most GIS education these days doesn't really focus on programming. Infact, most GIS "programs" are just crash courses on how to operate ESRI products.

-_-
Old Mar 25, 2011, 12:04 PM   #22
strabes
macrumors regular

Please!!!

Seriously, the iOS maps app is so unreliable. Sometimes it's super fast and sometimes (i.e. whenever I really need it quickly) it lags so bad, doesn't load maps or traffic info, takes forever to get directions, etc, and basically makes me want to throw my iPhone out the window. The maps app needs a serious reliability overhaul.

Also, what is so bad about the iOS notification system? I just hit "Close" if I don't care about a notification at that time.
strabes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2011, 12:04 PM   #23
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601

iPod Touch 5G

iPod Touch 5G with GPS and maps for europe, asia and north/south-america please!

Mr. Retrofire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2011, 12:04 PM   #24
gnasher729
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantage Point View Post
Why not? The USA for example has only 4 million miles of roads. A car with driver + passenger + some decent equipment should be able to map say 10 miles per hour, at a cost of $50 per hour. 200 cars for a year, that's 20 million dollars. And then you have a database that you can sell, and that you can use everywhere. Then write an iPhone app that lets users make corrections, lets businesses add their locations etc. and you are ready.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2011, 12:05 PM   #25
*LTD*
Banned

Apple should just roll their own.

They have the power, the talent, the size, and certainly the scale, to go their own way with an excellent chance of success.

The more things they do in-house, the better. It'll only enhance the Apple ecosystem and grow it.

This is 2011, folks. Apple is now in charge of their own destiny.
*LTD* is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion