Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

green86

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 27, 2007
North Carolina
Hey guys,

I can confirm personally that the 6870 does work in Mac OS X in the 1,1s without flashing using the downloadable drivers. The model I got was an XFX for $200 from CompUSA. Geekbench and DVD Player don't work (oddly enough) but everything else does. I tested it extensively in Aperture, and I've been playing STO with it in Windows 7 64-bit (all settings on high, in HD, with 8x AA). Hope this helps if any one was wondering.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
What apps do you mean when you say everything else? I've read, so far, that the following don't work:

Geekbench
DVD Player
Steam games
Cider based games
Wrapper games
Star Wars The Force Unleashed

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
it should be noted though, before this starts a mass-buying-wave of PC 6870 with mac pro users, that we really don't know why it's working without being flashed, and that this special support might very well be removed in the finished version of Lion.

green86

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 27, 2007
North Carolina
What apps do you mean when you say everything else? I've read, so far, that the following don't work:

Geekbench
DVD Player
Steam games
Cider based games
Wrapper games
Star Wars The Force Unleashed

Well I obviously didn't run every program under the sun. I mean it's stable. I'd never run a Mac version of any game, since every game will run faster/better in windows under boot camp, so I won't be checking that out. I use the Mac OS for everything productive I do, and it's been stable thus far

green86

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 27, 2007
North Carolina
it should be noted though, before this starts a mass-buying-wave of PC 6870 with mac pro users, that we really don't know why it's working without being flashed, and that this special support might very well be removed in the finished version of Lion.

Ha I'm ot concerned about that at all. IF that happens, there will most likely be a flash for it. I refuse to buy old tech (5000 series) if I can run something current. These cards arent that expensive in the grand scheme of things. That said, I'm keeping my old 4870 for now.

I mean, what's the worse that can happen? You can always sell the card if support is truly broken. And your assuming everyone who buys a 6870 will run lion. I'm banking on this being permanent. Hackentoshes are pretty popular these days, and apple doesn't support them. Even if support is broken.. The fact that I works now means it isn't impossible.

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
Ha I'm ot concerned about that at all. IF that happens, there will most likely be a flash for it. I refuse to buy old tech (5000 series) if I can run something current. These cards arent that expensive in the grand scheme of things. That said, I'm keeping my old 4870 for now.

I mean, what's the worse that can happen? You can always sell the card if support is truly broken. And your assuming everyone who buys a 6870 will run lion. I'm banking on this being permanent. Hackentoshes are pretty popular these days, and apple doesn't support them. Even if support is broken.. The fact that I works now means it isn't impossible.

Sorry dude, but you're not alone on this forum. If there is a major possibility of support being cut, this should not be kept in the dark.

"most likely be a flash for it" - Who's gonna make that happen? You? You don't know who you just quoted...look at my signature... Seriously I get pissed of when people assume they can just buy anything and be spoonfed with support and hacks.

green86

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 27, 2007
North Carolina
Sorry dude, but you're not alone on this forum. If there is a major possibility of support being cut, this should not be kept in the dark.

"most likely be a flash for it" - Who's gonna make that happen? You? You don't know who you just quoted...look at my signature... Seriously I get pissed of when people assume they can just buy anything and be spoonfed with support and hacks.

Just because I don't feel the need to flaunt my nerdism in my sig doesn't mean I don't know what Im talking about. Of course running an unsupported card means uncertainty.

Bottom line though, I'm running a unflashed pc card in my 1,1 right now. You made your point but this has been mentioned multiple times.. And even if it wasnt anyone who has moderate knowledge of computer hardware shouldn't find it surprising.

But yes, bravo. Thank you for saving us all. I get pissed at people who think they know it all. And guess what? I bought this hardware and got it working without being spoon fed support and hacks. So you must be pissed. I'm sorry.

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
Just because I don't feel the need to flaunt my nerdism in my sig doesn't mean I don't know what Im talking about. Of course running an unsupported card means uncertainty.

Bottom line though, I'm running a unflashed pc card in my 1,1 right now. You made your point but this has been mentioned multiple times.. And even if it wasnt anyone who has moderate knowledge of computer hardware shouldn't find it surprising.

But yes, bravo. Thank you for saving us all. I get pissed at people who think they know it all. And guess what? I bought this hardware and got it working without being spoon fed support and hacks. So you must be pissed. I'm sorry.

Flaunt my nerdism - or provide useful links for searching forum users.
But of course you need to insult me, I pointed out your egoism.

People won't find it surprising if they download a combo update and their screen goes black? Right. Except that we're still seeing loads of posts from users asking how to fix that exact issue with the 4870 / 4890.

You get pissed at people who think they know it all? Wow, cause I am getting the impression that you're trying to prove that you do. According to you, everyone who doesn't know everything about 6870 in MP is suddenly an complete idiot with not even moderate computer knowledge.

You were able to get it working because netkas discovered the whole thing, and I guess you even the downloaded drivers from his server. :rolleyes:

green86

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 27, 2007
North Carolina
Flaunt my nerdism - or provide useful links for searching forum users.
But of course you need to insult me, I pointed out your egoism.

People won't find it surprising if they download a combo update and their screen goes black? Right. Except that we're still seeing loads of posts from users asking how to fix that exact issue with the 4870 / 4890.

You get pissed at people who think they know it all? Wow, cause I am getting the impression that you're trying to prove that you do. According to you, everyone who doesn't know everything about 6870 in MP is suddenly an complete idiot with not even moderate computer knowledge.

You were able to get it working because netkas discovered the whole thing, and I guess you even the downloaded drivers from his server. :rolleyes:

Yes but it wasn't spoon-fed to me though (Although they were just extracted from 10.6.7, so... nothing that I couldn't have done myself). And when did I say "Everyone who doesn't know everything about 6870 in MP is suddenly an complete idiot with not even moderate computer knowledge?" Ridculous claims are ridculous. Don't be dumb.

No matter though. After this post your on ignore. You made your point. I made mine. I'm willing to spoon-feed help to anyone with a Mac Pro 1,1. That would like to try this. I didn't ask for your help, you shouldn't be pissed. However if anyone does need help or want advice, I'm here. Thats why I created this thread.

troll/fail.

As I said, the issues are well documented. This post is about the 6870 on a 1,1. Sorry that your mad about this

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010

Wow dude, chill out. :cool: Cindori has been very helpful to a lot of people over the years. He spends a lot of his free time working to solve problems and then providing tools and instructions so others can benefit as well.

chrisj2110

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Quite Mysterious indeed.

I have seen this here, and other sites. As great as it sounds, and it works NOW, we sure as hell DONT want to go out buying these great and latest cards, Using them in our now unsupported MacPro boxes, then Apple removes that support or changes something that makes it no longer work that way. We dont want this happening to us. I sure dont want it to happen to me.

There is a nice radeon 6870 staring at me out of a display case in a PC shop round the corner from where I live, its a nice price $170 (AUD) And my MacPro is screaming for a new card.

You are certainly right there. Who wants to waste their money? Not me! :)

Last edited:

chrisj2110

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Second Time I have seen this rudeness on the net today. And I only just woke up!

Wow dude, chill out. :cool: Cindori has been very helpful to a lot of people over the years. He spends a lot of his free time working to solve problems and then providing tools and instructions so others can benefit as well.

Yep. This is just plain rudeness, and also a personal attack. I have seen this TWICE today, But on the first instance it was me it was directed at by some silly person, for NO reason at all, all over a politely written opinion on something. This type of behaviour and snide rudeness they indulge in just peeves me of major. It even sometimes makes me fearful of trying to help someone out on a forum or YouTube etc. Thats how much I hate it.

I just refused to carry it on. :confused:

Good on cindori for this work, it is always appreciated. :) The information he has put up on his site is extremely useful. This GPU card stuff is important to some of us (like me for instance), and we DO want to know what works and what DONT. These things cost us money! :eek:

Vylen

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2010
Sydney, Australia
yeah very polite. :rolleyes:

You just gotta love these net nasties. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yep. Cindori just mentioned something that other people might be interested in - the possibility of the card not working right out of the box.

Fine.

But OP here... instead of saying "Yes, that's a good point - others be warned", went on with about himself... I this.. I that... I'm banking on this being permanent. Fine for OP, not so fine for others who may not have the same confidence.

But, that's fine. Cindori made his point as OP said - it's just that it was needlessly escalated.

-----------------------------------------

To get back on topic and to make this thread a little more useful.

Can the OP at least try some GPU dependent applications and confirm if they work or not - if he has them on his computer.

Afaik, the card is stable in the Mac Pro, but without a Framebuffer ID or something (mentioned on Netkas' blog) there are applications that do not work (this is not relating to stability!).

100Years

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2011
Ha I'm ot concerned about that at all. IF that happens, there will most likely be a flash for it. I refuse to buy old tech (5000 series) if I can run something current. <snip>
I wouldn't generalize and put down the 5k series. I've got a 5870 in my tower, and have to say that this card still more than holds its own. In Windows, I can max out games (plus, in 2560x1440 res) like Crysis 2, MLB 2k11, and NFS: Shift 2 --- they all play smooth as silk.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004

I've heard things that imply that this is likely to stay, and is something that is coming from ATI to get around some.... issues.

Apple doesn't really care if drivers work with a PC card anyway.

geenome

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2010
Removed because of prejudice.
Hey guys,

I can confirm personally that the 6870 does work in Mac OS X in the 1,1s without flashing using the downloadable drivers. The model I got was an XFX for $200 from CompUSA. Geekbench and DVD Player don't work (oddly enough) but everything else does. I tested it extensively in Aperture, and I've been playing STO with it in Windows 7 64-bit (all settings on high, in HD, with 8x AA). Hope this helps if any one was wondering.

Hi could you tell me where the downloadable drivers are located?

Thanks

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
I've heard things that imply that this is likely to stay, and is something that is coming from ATI to get around some.... issues.

Apple doesn't really care if drivers work with a PC card anyway.

I heard a post about it possibly being ATI cards starting to ship with EFI firmware since new PC motherboards are coming out with EFI.

But I dont recall that the ROM chip is larger, so I dont know if this is true. (or would have the effect we are seeing - that it works in our MP's)

you are right, apple probably would not care if it works. but that works both ways - they wont stop it, but won't try to keep it either :)

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
I heard a post about it possibly being ATI cards starting to ship with EFI firmware since new PC motherboards are coming out with EFI.

But I dont recall that the ROM chip is larger, so I dont know if this is true. (or would have the effect we are seeing - that it works in our MP's)

you are right, apple probably would not care if it works. but that works both ways - they wont stop it, but won't try to keep it either :)

What cards? I've heard most of the problem is that ATI doesn't want to do OEM Mac cards, but Apple only wants to do new cards every refresh, hence the Lion driver changes to "solve" that problem. But if ATI actually started adding EFI ROMs that would be new...

ashman70

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2010

Funny you should say that because I recently bought an XFX 5770 and put it in my hackintosh, low and behold look what the info says about the graphics card....

Attachments

• new vid card 2.jpg
    new vid card 2.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 1,446

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
I don't see anything special in that screen..?

btw, about my last post, here is an explanation from rominator:

"The 6870 cards aren't working due to any EFI in BIOS.

They are working due to changes in APple's ATI drivers, which are now functioning as if they have an "ATY_Init" built in.

They are setting their own keys, with or without EFI."

Gomff

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
Please excuse my ignorance on this, but does the 6870 even display a boot screen when the mac is first switched on, when connected to a DVI-D or MDP monitor?

Potentially intriguing developments with Mac Pro GPU's. I hope this is a product of Apple getting so much flack for not keeping up with PC graphics capabilities.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.